Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine gave me a Trek 970 he'd had just sitting in his garage for years:D It had about an inch of mud on it; once I cleaned it up, I really liked what I saw (other than the horrible, ogly, stupid little 18" wide flat bars-those have been replaced with a Nitto Dove bar). I'm in the process of turning it into a general purpose commuter, street bike, for which I think it'll excel. My questions: 1.)It's a 7 speed freewheel. The rear hub, instead of being a 135mm, which the frame is made for, has this dinky little 126mm hub, with a lot of spacers to make up the dif. It came from the factory this way! Did they do this because of the tendency of wider hubs to break their axles with 7 speed freewheels? Was this a kludge? Anything wrong with running it like this? I'm thinking Phil freewheel hub, if I keep this configuration. Or should I just change it out to an 8 speed cassette hub, and put on a more modern derailleur (the old groupo works fine).
2.)It's got the dreaded Biopace crankset. I've taken the bike on a few medium length rides, and haven't found anything wrong with it. Yah, it's a gimmick, but it seems innocuous. Why does everyone hate these? Anything I should be aware of? Thanks in advance; this is a great forum.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Doggity said:
2.)It's got the dreaded Biopace crankset. I've taken the bike on a few medium length rides, and haven't found anything wrong with it. Yah, it's a gimmick, but it seems innocuous. Why does everyone hate these? Anything I should be aware of? Thanks in advance; this is a great forum.
Everybody hates 'em because everybody hates 'em. I ride biopace on my road bike w/out any problems. In fact, I don't even think about the fact it's there.

What Sheldon has to say:
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/biopace.html

·
All 26.5" all the time!
1,855 Posts
Doggity said:
1.)It's a 7 speed freewheel. The rear hub, instead of being a 135mm, which the frame is made for, has this dinky little 126mm hub, with a lot of spacers to make up the dif. It came from the factory this way! Did they do this because of the tendency of wider hubs to break their axles with 7 speed freewheels? Was this a kludge? Anything wrong with running it like this?
It didn't come from the factory that way. The first year for the 970 was 1989, and the factory spec was a Deore II 7 speed hyperglide freehub. I'd install an 8/9 speed freehub and be done with it.

·
Registered
5,993 Posts
Central Scrutinizer said:
Agree. I run a biopace chainring on my singlespeed and it's fine. Don't really notice any difference one way or the other.
Same here... Biopace is fine. Other than making setting up the front derailler more difficult (the first time you try it), there's not enough difference that I care if I have biopace rings or not.

People hate it because they "heard" that it's bad. ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.