Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I bought this Trek 820 Sport and when I got it home I realized that in addition to having a bolt on rear axle it also has a detachable derailleur hanger instead of being part of the frame. Does the lack of frame derailleur hanger make this a less desirable frame? I was planning to maybe convert it to a quick release hub. Would this be a good candidate frame for a single speed? It looks like something like the Surly Singleator still requires a derailer hanger. Maybe it would be better to just strip for parts. Bicycle tire Wheel Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle part Spoke
Bicycle accessory Bicycle part Bicycle Bicycle handlebar Carbon
Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Bicycle part Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle wheel
Bicycle part Bicycle drivetrain part Bicycle accessory Bicycle Crankset

Attachments

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
They're still making rear derailleurs that mount like that for inexpensive bikes so you could get a compatible replacement if necessary. They call that a claw hanger.

·
slow
7,747 Posts
What's the best way to make it a single speed?
The slotted dropouts might allow you to run it SS without a chain tensioner. Quickest and easiest way is to remove both shifters and derailleurs and shorten the chain to run on the center chainring up front and one of the gears near the center of the freewheel on the back. You can pull the wheel back in the dropout to tension the chain and then tighten the axle nuts.
The rear hub is probably a threaded hub instead of a cassette, so you would have to find a threaded SS freewheel (probably BMX) if you want only one gear on the back. Since your cranks are riveted, you will have to get different cranks if you want only one gear up front.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.