Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lately I've been passing on quite a few SunTour equipped bikes. Not because I dislike SunTour but more because of lack of knowledge on the company in general. Anyone have a link or good reference on SunTour's vintage MTB groups?

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Jeff's site is great, with lots and lots of info on just about any company you want to know more about.

Short version is it's top of the line Suntour if it's XC in the mid-to-late 1980s or XC Pro in the 1990s. XC Sport and XC Comp were generally one notch down from those (Sport in 80s and Comp in 90s).

It's too bad they weren't very consistent with the lineup, but it's great we have resources available now to check on these things. I feel like 1987 made sense because they had the XC 9000, XC Sport 7000, 6000, 5000, etc. groups in descending order of price/level; but...they didn't stick with it.

You can also get a feel for the hierarchy in various years at the link below, too, keeping in mind that, of course, the lower the Bridgestones MB number, the higher end the bike.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/bridgestone/index.html#catalogues

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
WOW, lot's of great reading. Anyone know where you can specifics on SunTour rollercam brakes? I've got one on a 1986 Specialized. Been told it's a second generation but have no idea what the difference is.

·
Mantis, Paramount, Campy
4,767 Posts
1st Gen Are Most Like WTBs

...Drilled out arms and external springs.

The later varients (of which there were several) had the round springs inside the mounting bolts like most cantilevers.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I've gone through a lot of components "back in the day" and I found the Suntour stuff, in particular the thumb "power ratchet" thumb shifters to be better than Shimanos thumbies.

Bad? Their chains were junk, the only brand I've ever broken.

At least it was nice to have choices back then.

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Shayne said:
...Drilled out arms and external springs.

The later varients (of which there were several) had the round springs inside the mounting bolts like most cantilevers.
The arms aren't drilled completely through. They almost look like the holes were part of the casting. Can't see any springs so, I'm going to say they're internal. Thanks

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
McNewbie said:
i've got one with an α-3000 rear derailleur. where does that fit in in the heirarchy of suntour parts? i haven't been able to find much about it online.
You may be able to figure out the manufacture date here:

http://www.vintage-trek.com/component_dates.htm#suntour

3000 sounds like entry-level in the 1987 lineup, but I'm not sure. The MOMBAT table has a couple of 3000 references. Are there any other codes or names on it?

·
illuminaughty
1,651 Posts
I researched but really couldn't determine where "XCD" fit into the lineup. I'm curious because I'm picking up an XCD equipped 1988 Mountain Klein tomorrow. The Mombat site lists the "Mountain Klein XCD" w/XCD (duh), the "Mountain Klein Trail" w/Deore and the "Mountain Klein Trail Elite" w/XT. So do I assume the XCD is the entry level"Mountain Klein"? Thanx....:)

·
mountaingoatcycles.com
2,354 Posts
da'HOOV said:
I researched but really couldn't determine where "XCD" fit into the lineup. I'm curious because I'm picking up an XCD equipped 1988 Mountain Klein tomorrow. The Mombat site lists the "Mountain Klein XCD" w/XCD (duh), the "Mountain Klein Trail" w/Deore and the "Mountain Klein Trail Elite" w/XT. So do I assume the XCD is the entry level"Mountain Klein"? Thanx....:)
At one time, XCD was XCD 6000 so that gives you a reference point. 9000, 7000 then 6000 so it would have been somewhat equivalent to Shimano Deore LX. The 3000 stuff was pretty low and would have been found on entry level bikes.

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
First Flight said:
At one time, XCD was XCD 6000 so that gives you a reference point. 9000, 7000 then 6000 so it would have been somewhat equivalent to Shimano Deore LX. The 3000 stuff was pretty low and would have been found on entry level bikes.
So, would you recomend a bike with XCD 6000? I saw a nice 1989 vintage Raliegh with the gruop on it. I was interested in the build kit not the frame so I really don't want to pay a ton of money. What would you suggest for a clean Technium with XCD?

·
mountaingoatcycles.com
2,354 Posts
CS2 said:
So, would you recomend a bike with XCD 6000? I saw a nice 1989 vintage Raliegh with the gruop on it. I was interested in the build kit not the frame so I really don't want to pay a ton of money. What would you suggest for a clean Technium with XCD?
XCD would be great for a "rider" but probably not much for a collector. I would think value would be under $200

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.