Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
try driving your car less
3,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cool bikes and stuff, but how about some retro/vintage/classic people you have ridden with?
This past spring my wife and I spent a weekend riding with Jacquie Phelan in Italy - totally randomly. We all had borrowed bikes, but she was into her superlightweight retro/vintage bike tools.
I hope if you she reads this she doesnt get offended as being labeled vintage! Jacquie - you are CLASSIC! and sorta retro... And if you read this - thanks again for riding with us, it was a ton of fun. I lost your email. But I might go back this winter/spring to visit Lorenzo and company.
Ciao!
Jacquie and my wife hanging out at a little vista/rest break.

I think I rode with charlie cunningham once while riding in marin during the de-la. cant be sure. i was tired 'and stuff'. oh... and I DEFINITELY saw Bob Weir (of the GD) riding once in Mill Valley.

·
Registered
779 Posts
:confused: well, lets see. back in the day i certaily raced with with the all the big pro's. i was a junior so it was more like i was passed by all the big pros.
the best i have was when i did 24 hours of tucson. on my last lap i decided to put on my home made helmet cam for kicks. while i was out there i decided that i really needed to be behind somebody to get any kind of effect out of it. so i slowed my 92 Action Tec Curtlo down a bit and waited for somebody with a little speed to come by. it was'nt long before i got a guy ripping up the coarse. got on him and we rode for about 10 miles. about 5 miles into following him he told me to pass because i was beside him and video taping him from the side. i told him "its ok, im just video taping you" and he rode on. then after a little bit he turns back and yells "hey i'm Keith Bontrager, and i'd love to have that video. maybe i can get get trek to pay you for it and put it on a web sight". i thought that was the coolest thing since my team was as far as i could tell the only retro team out there. i was never paid for the tape but i did send it to him. the best part is i know have video of me keeping up with keith!

·
3,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
vdubbusrider said:
:confused: well, lets see. back in the day i certaily raced with with the all the big pro's. i was a junior so it was more like i was passed by all the big pros.
the best i have was when i did 24 hours of tucson. on my last lap i decided to put on my home made helmet cam for kicks. while i was out there i decided that i really needed to be behind somebody to get any kind of effect out of it. so i slowed my 92 Action Tec Curtlo down a bit and waited for somebody with a little speed to come by. it was'nt long before i got a guy ripping up the coarse. got on him and we rode for about 10 miles. about 5 miles into following him he told me to pass because i was beside him and video taping him from the side. i told him "its ok, im just video taping you" and he rode on. then after a little bit he turns back and yells "hey i'm Keith Bontrager, and i'd love to have that video. maybe i can get get trek to pay you for it and put it on a web sight". i thought that was the coolest thing since my team was as far as i could tell the only retro team out there. i was never paid for the tape but i did send it to him. the best part is i know have video of me keeping up with keith!
cool story!

·
Registered
508 Posts
JH,

you have a picture of the bike that she was riding, i bet it was some super rad Cunningham.

i rode with Bob, Tomacs mechanic once. oh purdy good.

yup.

over and out
nate

·
3,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
cursivearmy said:
JH,

you have a picture of the bike that she was riding, i bet it was some super rad Cunningham.

i rode with Bob, Tomacs mechanic once. oh purdy good.

yup.

over and out
nate
we were on borrowed bikes in italy. wife and i on kona bear FS bikes. jacquie insisted on a hardtail bike - i think it was about department store level. we switched bikes for a bike - scary! and she was WAY faster than any of us - inlcuding the guides.

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
Glad to see Jacquie hasn't changed her style! I got to ride with Jacquie and Charlie down in Mexico in about '87. Charlie is by far, hands down the absolute smoothest rider I've ever seen. We were riding cow trails down at Laguna Hansen and it was such an effort just to keep his wheel through the single track. He makes it look so effortless. No skidding, no wasted energy. I think about how smooth he rides every time I hit single track and try to emulate his style. Here's a photo from that week Laguna Hansen

There's plenty of others, but them two is my favorites.

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
jh_on_the_cape said:
we were on borrowed bikes in italy. wife and i on kona bear FS bikes. jacquie insisted on a hardtail bike - i think it was about department store level. we switched bikes for a bike - scary! and she was WAY faster than any of us - inlcuding the guides.
Fast still to this day. She recently did a race series in Protugal as well and placed 8th overall (?) - guys included.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
the lot

being a vintage, retro, classic person myself, I would say pretty much the whole lot of them, mtb and road.
among the standouts, Felice Gimondi, Eddy Merckx, Francesco Moser, Rebecca Twigg, the whole 7-Eleven team, Mark Gorski, the WTB boys, Gary F. and his racers, Joe Murray a few times various places, Tom R. and his racers, Chuck "Darryl Licht" Ibis, rode Gold Bar in Moab with Andy Hampster, Porcupine with Davis and Connie, pretty much every MTB maker at some time or other from Joe B., Jeff Lindsay, Chance on his first slickrock ride, Jacquie was on that ride too, took Valentino Campagnolo on his first mountain bike ride, sorry it didn't take. And the Durango contingent, back when everybody was still here. Durango-to-Farmington with Mr.&Mrs. HB, Myles and Gravy and the Yeti team. Borrowed Juli's pump once on a road ride. Missy. Caught up to Tomes once he just left his house heading to Farmington in a cold winter rain to meet the mrs. 50+ miles no fenders, his ass was already wet, hardcore. Too many to even recall. Saw Zap crash his brains out on Porcupine once, Even once did a road ride with him, he wasn't very smooth. But no presidents or rock stars or anything like that, though I have friends that rode with Clinton. And others that are itching to put a pump in bush's spokes.

·
Registered
32 Posts
The one Norba National event I did in WV back in like 88 I got to meet (and get passed by) Ned Overend, John Tomac, and Tinker Juarez...

I met a bunch of roadies too as a mechanic including Rebecca Twigg and Jeanie Longeau (sp?).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts