Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I just picked up a vintage RaceFace XY seat post for about $20.

After I got home I discovered that the width between the rails of the clamp is only 38mm, then I discovered that this is somewhat of a problem since most modern seats' rails are about 44mm apart.

I tried squeezing the rails together with one of my seats and it works, but it is seriously bending the rails.

Suggestions of a decent MTB seat with rail spacing that's about 38mm (or even 40mm) is much appreciated.

I'm also guessing that anything type of rails are bendable other than carbon (and possibly titanium).

Thanks in advance.
Ruler Office ruler Gas Machine Metal

· Registered
4,174 Posts
Saddle rails all have the same width and have been that way at least since the 80s when I started riding. Either something is wrong with your saddle, or the seatpost is broken or missing parts.

Reactions: rain164845

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Saddle rails all have the same width and have been that way at least since the 80s when I started riding. Either something is wrong with your saddle, or the seatpost is broken or missing parts.
Thanks - I googled image this seatpost and all of them look pretty much the same as mine (unless some internal parts I'm missing). And my two other seats are also the same width.

I might have to email Raceface and see what they have to say.

· Registered
441 Posts
I assume race face will laugh, and then reply that they don't have parts for that post anymore. That is how they replied to me when I emailed them about a lockring for the spider of one of my old cranks. They have been sold at least once since that post came out, so I don't hold it against them.

But that post looks OK, I don't think anyone dreamt of running carbon seat rails offroad when it came out, so to get the seat on the post they undersized the spacing. I rode that post back in the day with no problems, if it helps. Maybe the bolts were a little soft, I am not 100% on that, though.

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I assume race face will laugh, and then reply that they don't have parts for that post anymore. That is how they replied to me when I emailed them about a lockring for the spider of one of my old cranks. They have been sold at least once since that post came out, so I don't hold it against them.

But that post looks OK, I don't think anyone dreamt of running carbon seat rails offroad when it came out, so to get the seat on the post they undersized the spacing. I rode that post back in the day with no problems, if it helps. Maybe the bolts were a little soft, I am not 100% on that, though.
I guess that's the SOP for them - this is the response I got from them (they were pretty quick to respond):

Font Screenshot Terrestrial plant Number Document

So based on what you said the only option I have is to tighten the clamps as much as possible (which means bending the rails)? Because if I don't tighten them (image) the whole thing just rattles:
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Tire Rim Fender

Thanks.

· Registered
441 Posts
I mean, if you want to cut up lots of skinny pieces of soda can and superglue them to the inside of the saddle rails you can. I think you would have to slide them in with the seat already on the post so they don't get knocked off putting the seat on. Then you won't be able to take the seat off or adjust it much without worrying that the shims will come off. This sounds like a real pain to me.

I would just tighten it down with normal torque.

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I mean, if you want to cut up lots of skinny pieces of soda can and superglue them to the inside of the saddle rails you can. I think you would have to slide them in with the seat already on the post so they don't get knocked off putting the seat on. Then you won't be able to take the seat off or adjust it much without worrying that the shims will come off. This sounds like a real pain to me.

I would just tighten it down with normal torque.
Thanks, I might just have to visit a LBS or hardware store and see what they have...

· taste death, live life.
279 Posts
Similar to the soda can idea, go to the local hardware store and buy small diameter brass tubing. Use a dremel to cut it length-wise...instant rail shim!

I also had that same seatpost and it fit a Selle Italia Flite without issue. Your issue is odd.

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Similar to the soda can idea, go to the local hardware store and buy small diameter brass tubing. Use a dremel to cut it length-wise...instant rail shim!

I also had that same seatpost and it fit a Selle Italia Flite without issue. Your issue is odd.
Thanks for the suggestion. I really wonder if certain brand/model make saddles narrower rail widths...

· Registered
5,997 Posts
Thanks for the suggestion. I really wonder if certain brand/model make saddles narrower rail widths...
In the late 50s and early 60s there was a narrow saddle seatpost combination that existed, but was not common. To the best of my knowledge width has been consistent for the past 50 years. The diameter of the rails has varied a bit, but not the width between the rails.

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
In the late 50s and early 60s there was a narrow saddle seatpost combination that existed, but was not common. To the best of my knowledge width has been consistent for the past 50 years. The diameter of the rails has varied a bit, but not the width between the rails.
So the mystery continues, more fun for me then...

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I just received a picture from a member from another forum. It looks like this is really the issue with this particularly saddle. His rail outer length is about 46.6 mm when clamped and all the seats I have is >50mm
Automotive tire Bicycle tire Motor vehicle Crankset Bumper

Light Motor vehicle Font Wood Gas

Bicycle Wheel Bicycle frame Crankset Bicycle tire

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Wood Automotive exterior

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.