Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
The more I learn the more confused that I get on what I want... :)

So far I have 3 bikes.

From what I can tell all of them are almost completely stock.

1983 trek 850
1997 trek Y Five O - hardly ridden - looks like original tires
1969 Schwinn sting ray - the bike I would have wanted - but I got the Sears version and I used it hard. This Sting Ray is mint.

Ohh and I can not figure out how to down load the pictures :(

·
Self Appointed Judge&Jury
36,788 Posts
Consider also a Schwinn Project Underground Homegrown, also a SweetSpot. If money is no object, then you have to have an Ibis Bow Ti.

Yep, the mind boggles there are so many of them.

Oh, and don’t forget Catamount “SweetSpot”.

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
Looking for ideas and advice.

I have a property near the Cuyuna trails in Minnesota that will eventually be set up as a short term rental. I want to have a small collection of vintage mountain bikes, maybe 6.

Road bikes have looked similar for years, but mountain bikes are continuing to evolve and I would like to show some of that evolution and show the start of our obsession with mountain biking and bikes.

What are some suggestions? These will not be ridden. I want bikes that story behind them, unique design, one of first of something new material or component, prefer the more major manufactures - bikes that the ordinary public could have bought. for example 1983 trek 850, first mountain bike they made or trek 9500.

What are your opinions. Bikes that you'd like to see again, but fortunately you do not need to ride them anymore
Jay,

We might sell our custom Fat Chance some day, and a Madison friend has what used to be my Bridgestone MB-1. Another friend has what was my Fat Chance Yo Eddy and I know it's not been ridden for most of the years he's owned it. Those are all classics.

:)

WJL

·
Registered
3 Posts
I do the same. My theme is bikes i almost bought, looked at, or have a story. They all need to be 17-19"

My start would be to look for names like Breezer, Ritchey, Gary Fisher as all these companies were important at the beginning.
Then have a look at the Racing brands like Cannondale, Klein or Specialized. They all had different ways of going quicker. They too were pioneers.
Some people collect niches like Titanium bikes or Budget bikes.

I think its important to keep in mind that the first full suspension bikes are quite interesting sometimes. The problem is that sometimes the parts are unavailable to service them properly. Gary Fishers Level Betty or Cannondales Jekyll, Raven and all the like are cheap and fun.

For me its about riding what i would have ridden back then.

A Breezer Storm is a good bike to aim for. Rare and increasing in value. Breezer was the first mountain bike firm and the storm the first bike. They can be found and are normally undervalued.

Attachments

·
Registered
467 Posts
Looking for ideas and advice.

I have a property near the Cuyuna trails in Minnesota that will eventually be set up as a short term rental. I want to have a small collection of vintage mountain bikes, maybe 6.

Road bikes have looked similar for years, but mountain bikes are continuing to evolve and I would like to show some of that evolution and show the start of our obsession with mountain biking and bikes.

What are some suggestions? These will not be ridden. I want bikes that story behind them, unique design, one of first of something new material or component, prefer the more major manufactures - bikes that the ordinary public could have bought. for example 1983 trek 850, first mountain bike they made or trek 9500.

What are your opinions. Bikes that you'd like to see again, but fortunately you do not need to ride them anymore
Did you ever complete your collection?

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Did you ever complete your collection?

Yes its completed....Maybe it's completed.... I have one more spot.

I added a friends donated Schwinn Scrambler. Since they where a local manufacturer I wanted to pick up an American. I ended up buying an 1985 American Montaneous from MOMBAT off of ebay.

A few pics are on our airbnb site google The Bike Vault Crosby or check out thebikevaultcrosbymn

We trid to set this place up as the coolest mountain bike stay we had ever seen - so far everyone that has stayed has given rave reviews. When we aren't there it is open top rent.

My wife will add some of the bike pics to instagram in the future

I need to put in a plug for the Cuyuna Trails... 20 miles of professionally built trails will open in the spring bringing the total to 50. This winter 25+ miles are beautifully groomed. Put it on the list.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
A few pics are on our airbnb site google The Bike Vault Crosby or check out thebikevaultcrosbymn
Very nice! Makes me want to find an excuse for a Minnesota road trip.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Very nice! Makes me want to find an excuse for a Minnesota road trip.
Sorry if this sounds like a sales pitch but it is a pitch for having fun, definitely make time to get up there. We have been to many many of the Epic trails and these are some of the best. The trails are built on and around old iron mine lakes, so rent or bring your SUP's, canoes or kayaks, there are miles of undeveloped shoreline with 40' to 80' of water clarity, the paddling is as good the biking.

There are places to stay in the town of Crosby other than The Bike Vault, but ours will be the most fun :) check out the Cuyuna . com website for options and details.

We bought a place out of the state where we live, strictly because of what they are doing in the area and in the state of Minnesota to not only support mountain biking, but all types outdoor activity. The Cuyuna area will soon have over 70 miles of trails all bikeable from town - there is a trailhead 3 Blocks from The Bike Vault. You never need to get in your car. We have been up there for as long as 8 days without driving.

If I was in a medical profession I'd move there, there is a regional hospital in town (also bikeable to the trail)

Minnesota with sales tax money and Iron mine tax money. Minnesota has spent close to 10 million in the last few years alone. Imagine money for trails instead of football stadiums. There is a new 25 mile system (Tioga) 70 miles away, Duluth is and hour and a half away, the new Redhead trails (25 miles) are 2 hours away and new high speed lift access down hill at Giants Ridge is 2 and 1/2 hours away. These are some of the reasons we bought a place up there.

Visit soon or better yet move there :) we have one open space in our historic building for another professional type business.

Jay

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
I do the same. My theme is bikes i almost bought, looked at, or have a story. They all need to be 17-19"

My start would be to look for names like Breezer, Ritchey, Gary Fisher as all these companies were important at the beginning.
Then have a look at the Racing brands like Cannondale, Klein or Specialized. They all had different ways of going quicker. They too were pioneers.
Some people collect niches like Titanium bikes or Budget bikes.

I think its important to keep in mind that the first full suspension bikes are quite interesting sometimes. The problem is that sometimes the parts are unavailable to service them properly. Gary Fishers Level Betty or Cannondales Jekyll, Raven and all the like are cheap and fun.

For me its about riding what i would have ridden back then.

A Breezer Storm is a good bike to aim for. Rare and increasing in value. Breezer was the first mountain bike firm and the storm the first bike. They can be found and are normally undervalued.

Nice rides!!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Great list, the less expensive idea works well. Really just want them hanging on wall to look at while having a beer. With a little write up on what and why it was.
Like that one.
Thinking of putting a Santana Moda " on the wall" and just looking at it. Not sure yet.
Seems somewhat of a waste though.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Sorry if this sounds like a sales pitch but it is a pitch for having fun, definitely make time to get up there. We have been to many many of the Epic trails and these are some of the best. The trails are built on and around old iron mine lakes, so rent or bring your SUP's, canoes or kayaks, there are miles of undeveloped shoreline with 40' to 80' of water clarity, the paddling is as good the biking.

There are places to stay in the town of Crosby other than The Bike Vault, but ours will be the most fun :) check out the Cuyuna . com website for options and details.

We bought a place out of the state where we live, strictly because of what they are doing in the area and in the state of Minnesota to not only support mountain biking, but all types outdoor activity. The Cuyuna area will soon have over 70 miles of trails all bikeable from town - there is a trailhead 3 Blocks from The Bike Vault. You never need to get in your car. We have been up there for as long as 8 days without driving.

If I was in a medical profession I'd move there, there is a regional hospital in town (also bikeable to the trail)

Minnesota with sales tax money and Iron mine tax money. Minnesota has spent close to 10 million in the last few years alone. Imagine money for trails instead of football stadiums. There is a new 25 mile system (Tioga) 70 miles away, Duluth is and hour and a half away, the new Redhead trails (25 miles) are 2 hours away and new high speed lift access down hill at Giants Ridge is 2 and 1/2 hours away. These are some of the reasons we bought a place up there.

Visit soon or better yet move there :) we have one open space in our historic building for another professional type business.

Jay
Nice spot for Cuyuna; thanks. I was involved very heavily with that bunch until February 2019, when I was hurt in an accident. About the time I was done being reassembled, C19 came along.

My claim to fame was riding Klunkers.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Nice spot for Cuyuna; thanks. I was involved very heavily with that bunch until February 2019, when I was hurt in an accident. About the time I was done being reassembled, C19 came along.

My claim to fame was riding Klunkers.

Thanks for helping out on the Cuyuna trails. What is happening up there and how as a whole Minnesota supports outdoor activities is why we bought the place.

We are heading up there this weekend for some Fat Biking.

41 - 56 of 56 Posts