Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
KHS isn't quite as high-zoot as many of the other bikes posted here, but I rode one for years so they mean something to me.

Here's my '93 Montaña Team with it's full complement of original m900 XTR components and blue/pink team paint.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Good times..good times.

I was always a fan of the late 80's, early 90's KHS line. If i wasn't still in middle/high school at that time, i'd have probably owned one. :)

I still don't think they should have abandoned the blue/pink schemes, at least on one model for all these years. I like my KHS frames, but am not the biggest fan of the paint schemes.

·
Registered
5,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
TrailGuru said:
I like my KHS frames, but am not the biggest fan of the paint schemes.
Yeah in the mid-90s KHS switched to a different paint scheme that I didn't like either. Some of the newer ones are a big improvement, but I'm not sure what they were thinking with the mid 90's paint.

·
Registered
779 Posts
man, thats nice to see. the old 93 montana team i had some great rides together. i absolutely love you're bike! one of my all time favorites.

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,254 Posts
Great to see your Montana Team. I really liked those! There was a shop here where I lived that got it's race team sponsored by KHS, and all the team riders got a bike like yours. Several of them are still around, and in use. Thanks for the pic, and yes, these bikes deserve a little respect!

·
Registered
779 Posts
i forgot how the sizing went but i would sure like to find a 17"or 18" team model show up in my life again. any leads?

·
artistic...
7,620 Posts
laffeaux said:
KHS isn't quite as high-zoot as many of the other bikes posted here, but I rode one for years so they mean something to me.

Here's my '93 Montaña Team with it's full complement of original m900 XTR components and blue/pink team paint.
>
had a montaña pro.. nice tubing. cool looks. problem w/ mine was geometry. khs specced a 71.5 head angle across all sizes. since i ride a 17in, i ended up w/ a very short wheelbase coupled w/ a steep seat and head tube. not the best biike for technical steep singletrack!

·
Registered
5,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
vdubbusrider said:
i forgot how the sizing went but i would sure like to find a 17"or 18" team model show up in my life again. any leads?
Mine is a 19.5" - I think the next size down was a 17". (If I remember correctly)

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
I've got a 16". I have a lot of really good memories of riding that thing- in spite of the old-school geometry, I've never ridden down as steep of stuff as I was able to on that bike. I sold all the parts off of it in 1999, and until this year it had sat around on a shelf unbuilt. I rebuilt it with a mix of old and new parts, so it's not quite the period piece pictured above. Manitou 2, Wasatch Clamp up front, Paul Crosstop on the rear, Avid Ultimate levers, LX/ 217 wheels, Octalink cranks.
It rides really, really nicely, just a little too small for me. My little brother rides it now. Maybe I'll post a few pics.

·
Registered
5,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ssmike said:
Mountain Larry - man that guy can ride a bike. Ride to the race, race and ride back home (or to the next race). No mechanicals for him either. If it broke, he fixed it and rode it out.
I watch him race a lot the year before last in the Surf City CX series. He raced CX on a MTB and was always in the top three (in expert I think). Definitely very fast and a Santa Cruz crowd favorite.

·
VRC Illuminati
17,654 Posts
laffeaux said:

Pretty bike.
You need any True Temper decals for the top tube? Like the 'team' bikes. :p
When did you pick that up?

·
Registered
7,696 Posts
ssmike said:
Mountain Larry - man that guy can ride a bike. Ride to the race, race and ride back home (or to the next race). No mechanicals for him either. If it broke, he fixed it and rode it out.
Ya, that guy can ride. I just saw him at the last Downieville Classic (2003, no 04 event) and he was goin good!

Supposedly he lived up in the forest of Niscene Marks back then.

I recall one race where he snapped his handlebar off and proceeded on to finish with a stick stuck in his stem so he could ride.

·
Registered
31 Posts
1981 KHS Expedition?

My first geared mountain bike was I think a 1981 KHS with Suntour components purchased from the Koski's Cove Bike Shop in Marin. It was one of the early production mountain bikes and cost less than the Trailmaster and money was tight. I rode the **** out of it in Marin and up in Oregon and eventually took it to London as my commute bike where it eventually was stolen in 1991.

I can't find any info on this bike online, it would be cool to see some photos for nostalgia!

·
Registered
5,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I ended up selling that bike. :( I really liked it, and would have kept it had it been one size larger. As time passes I prefer larger frames.

The good news is that I found the titanium version of this bike in the size that I need. The ti frame doesn't have the cool color scheme, but it's still pretty nice. :)

And re: the jerseys... I have a couple of the early '90s KHS jerseys. They're a bit small for me, but I can make them work if I suck in my gut. :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.