Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
illuminaughty
1,651 Posts
OK, how bout posting pics of your vintage headgear? Or better yet, vintage pics of riders wearing vintage headgear..:thumbsup:

I picked one of these SkidLids up today, This is not a pic of mine but the one I found is identical and everybit as clean...mid/late 70's?

Attachments

·
gobsmacked
8,757 Posts
Helmets:
Two Bell V-1 Pros
One 1st Generation Giro, w/ Lycra/net cover
Don't remember what the white ones were.

Bikes:
'88 MB-1
'88 Univega Alpina Pro
'87 Rockhopper
'87 Schwinn Cimmaron
'88 GT Tequesta
'87 MB-1
Is that your mb-1 with drop bars?

·
slow
6,885 Posts
Is that your mb-1 with drop bars?
THREAD DERAIL

Nope. I'm the dork on the other end sticking my butt out while trying to hold up my '88 MB-1 and the photographer's Univega. Ken, the rider with the drop bar '87 MB-1 rode it that way for about a week and then went to flat bars and a 150mm T-Bone. He kept the drop setup for the future, but the bike was stolen a few years later without having the drops re-installed. Seems like the stock stem wasn't quite high enough for the drops to work well.

Ken was a shop employee with me and he got the bike on closeout for $380. Wish I would have bought one of them at the time, but I wanted the new one with the black XT stuff, and as a broke college kid I could not afford both, though the total would have only been $742 at the shop employee price. Seems like a bargain now.

/THREAD DERAIL

·
Registered
425 Posts
I always wanted a skid Lid back in the early '80s. They looked like something that was worn in Star Wars. I tried to buy one off Ebay a year or so ago, but to my surprise, I was well out bid.

Yes, I had lycra covers for my bike saddles. They looked pretty good when you got the color to match something on the bike.

·
Stokeless Asshat
3,360 Posts
Is that one of JT's?

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Where are the leather lids? I guess they went out before MTB went commercial.

I've got mine in the shed. (Don't have my Skid Lid anymore.) Amazing how long the leather helmets were used--well into the 70s. I wore mine at my local skateparks, too.

Mike

·
Administrator
10,533 Posts
OK, how bout posting pics of your vintage headgear? Or better yet, vintage pics of riders wearing vintage headgear..:thumbsup:

I picked one of these SkidLids up today, This is not a pic of mine but the one I found is identical and everybit as clean...mid/late 70's?
Anyone have the Shoei Helmet still? Those were the real first All-Mountain helmets, like the Giro Xen, longer tail to protect the back of your hat, a serious visor and reasonable ventilation. I had a friend that rode one for years while I pursued the light weight direction. He probably still has his and I now use a Giro Xen. Go figure.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts