Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Visitor
781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In a moment of weakness I purchased a late 90's Ibis Mojo off of COS CL. This frame has the handjob cable stop and 1.125 headset. I have the 2000 Ibis catalog, have done searches, and have not found a definitive answer to my question.

SP is going to make me a Type II for it. He wants to know how long to make it. I don't know if the frame is corrected for 63 or 80mm suspesion fork. Anybody know?

I thought I would pose the question here before calling Ibis, sending Scott an email, or taking the frame down to a friends shop and trying different length forks while measuring BB height.

Cheers.

·
Visitor
781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply N.

S/N 4742... Mine is later (had the full wrap downtube decal). So, I'm thinking 80mm, but it has the cable hanger, so it may be 63. Probably, my best bet will be to just take it down to the shop tomorrow, throw a set of wheels on it and try a few different fork lengths until the BB is at 11.75 (spec).

Attachments

·
artistic...
7,602 Posts
the full wrap decal says 2000 BUT... the handjob says canti brakes meaning earlier than 97.
if it is a 2000 it is corrected for 63mm of travel. 2001 is corrected for 80mm.

frame has wrong decals. a 2000 frame would have S bent ctays and seatstays.
you will have to measure drop and BB height.

·
Visitor
781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, that's what had me confused. I'll head to the shop after work tomorrow. Thanks for the help guys.

·
artistic...
7,602 Posts
YETIFIED said:
A type II from SP for a late model suspension corrected frame? IMHO it seems kind of backwards, like the guy who had CH cut up that vintage PRO FRO for the belt drive. With so many great steel builders out there, to me it defeats the purpose of a vintage build. I suppose it's cool if you're thinking "Hot Rod", But a nice suspension fork for that frame would do it perfect justice. This is the Vintage, Retro, Classic forum, so it still fits within the theme. I would definitely have SP make me a type II if I had an earlier non suspension corrected frame. Nevertheless, it will be retro.
that frame is (probably) corrected for a mag21. that is mid 90s frame.

·
Dumpster Diver
1,093 Posts
A type II from SP for a late model suspension corrected frame? IMHO it seems kind of backwards, like the guy who had CH cut up that vintage PRO FRO for the belt drive. With so many great steel builders out there, to me it defeats the purpose of a vintage build. I suppose it's cool if you're thinking "Hot Rod", But a nice suspension fork for that frame would do it perfect justice. This is the Vintage, Retro, Classic forum, so it still fits within the theme. I would definitely have SP make me a type II if I had an earlier non suspension corrected frame. Nevertheless, it will be retro.

·
Visitor
781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's what I like about you yetified, you always have an opinion, good or bad. Fortunately I do my own thing. Cheers.

EDIT: As for cutting up FROs, I have so many I sometimes use one as a chock to keep my truck from rolling down the driveway. I like the EBB FRO. I've got enough vintage frames in the years that I'm interested in. So, why not do something different? It is OK to think outside the box sometimes. :rolleyes:

EDIT EDIT: I have to do something to keep me busy until I can score a bad ass Ritchey, Cunningham, etc.

·
Dumpster Diver
1,093 Posts
colker1 said:
that frame is (probably) corrected for a mag21. that is mid 90s frame.
Lost in translation. That is exactly my point.

·
Dumpster Diver
1,093 Posts
hairstream said:
That's what I like about you yetified, you always have an opinion, good or bad. Fortunately I do my own thing. Cheers.

Thank you.......and you should. Tomato, tomato?

EDIT: As for cutting up FROs, I have so many I sometimes use one as a chock to keep my truck from rolling down the driveway. I like the EBB FRO. I've got enough vintage frames in the years that I'm interested in. So, why not do something different? It is OK to think outside the box sometimes. :rolleyes:

LOL!

EDIT EDIT: I have to do something to keep me busy until I can score a bad ass Ritchey, Cunningham, etc.
In time grasshopper................in time.

·
Dumpster Diver
1,093 Posts
hairstream said:
Or score your FTW stem.

·
Visitor
781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
YETIFIED said:
Or score your FTW stem.
Yeah, I'm still gunning for that one. If you see one, let me know. :p

I did a search to see if I could find some of you bikes/builds to get some good ideas. But, I can't find any. No blog or anything... :rolleyes:

·
Dumpster Diver
1,093 Posts
hairstream said:
Yeah, I'm still gunning for that one. If you see one, let me know. :p

I did a search to see if I could find some of you bikes/builds to get some good ideas. But, I can't find any. No blog or anything... :rolleyes:
Keep searching the forum and you'll discover the joke:) .

1 - 13 of 13 Posts