Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts

M700 matching purple sun rims, canti's, and seat post clamp. Its for sale too. Too big for me, 22" bb to tt

·
Strangelove
143 Posts

My 1986 SM600. My first mountain bike. I worked two full summers and a harsh winter as a schoolboy- paper rounds, washing cars, cleaning down my fathers trucks in the snow, cutting lawns, sweeping leaves etc and saved like crazy to buy it. I can still remember that incredible feeling of wheeling it out of the shop and into the cold winter air on the morning I bought it.

Mountain biking was a lonely existance in the UK back then- it was almost another two years until I saw another one in my area. I packed in some epic rides in those days, that bike gave me freedom from the bordom of living in a small town in the middle of nowhere.

Sadly that original bike was stolen in the mid 90's, but a few years ago I decided to track down another SM600 and restore it. There is a link to the original bike though...On the original bike's first outing on the moors of North Yorkshire I slipped on rocks and tore off the saddle cover and foam. I had to ride it another two months held together with Duck Tape until I could afford a new saddle. I bought the most expensive in the shop- a Super Turbo and it still wears that same saddle today, 24 years later!

This bike has the the wrong forks and I would love to find an original pair to finish it off- I even have a shining new roller cam brake to fit when that day comes.

They might not be the most desirable bikes in the world these days but to a kid growing up in the grim North of England it was the greatest thing on the planet, and for that I will always cherish it.

Cheers
Si

·
Registered
121 Posts
Here is my 1989 SM 900 Red Shred. Bought it new, still riding it today! Love this bike and have considered a restoration or a resto-mod, but will just keep on riding it until replacement parts become unobtanium, and then will likely do some kind of a rest-mod.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Maybe this is a bit too old.....here's my mid 80's bike, all the original paint and parts are still there, but over the years I replaced the seat, tires, grips, and added the seat spring, fenders, and rack the week I bought it back in 85ish.

Larry
Very cool be bike. Had a similar one back in 90.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Here is my 1989 SM 900 Red Shred. Bought it new, still riding it today! Love this bike and have considered a restoration or a resto-mod, but will just keep on riding it until replacement parts become unobtanium, and then will likely do some kind of a rest-mod.

View attachment 1911118

View attachment 1911119
I had this I think exact same bike in 1990. Sadly it got stolen while in the Air Force. What made me laugh though is they took the steel bike rack that was bolted to the concert too. They was dedication.

41 - 48 of 48 Posts