Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks, I'm building up/rebuilding a Miyata Trailrunner MTB (circa 1990) as my commuter steed. Along with the largely stuffed Suntour drivetrain hardware, it had a good condition set of Dia Compe cantilever brakes fitted. I'm keen to use the cantis if possible (although I'll be replacing the levers), as they're original and in keeping with the age of the frame and most of the other hardware.

Problem is, I've heard a few horror stories about canitlever brakes with people saying the best place for em is in the bin. (of course, you also hear folks saying that if they're properly set up they're brilliant)

So, re fit them, or head out to try and find something else? Preference will be to keep them unless they're going to be the one badly performing part on an otherwise good build.

Thanks in advance.

drew

·
Registered
187 Posts
If Canti's are set up right, I'd prefer the feel and reliability over V-'s. I'm no retro grouch, but Canti's seem quicker, smoother, and predictable. Paired in the rear end with V's in the front, and you've got a sweet non-disc setup.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Nope, jut get a sturdy cable hanger if you plan on using canti's. I still haven't seen any Salsa/Magura/Shimano brake boosters used on canti's. Would that be cool? doesn't matter. Will it work? hellz yeah!

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.