Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
... at least the frame is vintage, and some of the components. It's a bit of a hodge-podge of parts, but it rides great. The frame is a '91 Bontrager.

Today I rode this in my first single-speed race. Unfortunately the only SS class was "expert" and I didn't feel like being DFL, so I opted to race with the beginner geared bikes instead - after a winter of not enough riding, that's probably where I belong anyway. I came in mid-pack, which was good enough for me.

·
Holy Chromoly!!
542 Posts
Looks good Eric...

"It's a bit of a hodge-podge"... well, the two bikes I have most fun with/on are those that are a bit of a hodge-podge all together as well... ;)

·
VRC Illuminati
17,654 Posts
laffeaux said:
... at least the frame is vintage, and some of the components. It's a bit of a hodge-podge of parts, but it rides great. The frame is a '91 Bontrager.

Today I rode this in my first single-speed race. Unfortunately the only SS class was "expert" and I didn't feel like being DFL, so I opted to race with the beginner geared bikes instead - after a winter of not enough riding, that's probably where I belong anyway. I came in mid-pack, which was good enough for me.
Nice work EL!
Smart build...and even the matching Bonty fork! Good stuff.

Did you feel like you were at a big disadvantage vs. the geared guys? Doesn't seem like it at mid pack! Are the results online? I wanna see! :)

·
Registered
5,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Rumpfy said:
Did you feel like you were at a big disadvantage vs. the geared guys? Doesn't seem like it at mid pack! Are the results online? I wanna see! :)
There was one long climb similar to the final Sea Otter climb. I was dying on that one, but was able to keep up. On the rollers I was passing guys. The only area where I felt like I was losing it was on the flats. A guy passed me in the final 50 yards - I was spinning as fast I could and he passed me like I was standing still.

I'll send you a link if the reults are posted. The course was only 9.3 miles, and I finished in just under 54 minutes.

·
VRC Illuminati
17,654 Posts
laffeaux said:
There was one long climb similar to the final Sea Otter climb. I was dying on that one, but was able to keep up. On the rollers I was passing guys. The only area where I felt like I was losing it was on the flats. A guy passed me in the final 50 yards - I was spinning as fast I could and he passed me like I was standing still.

I'll send you a link if the reults are posted. The course was only 9.3 miles, and I finished in just under 54 minutes.
Wow...short course! Given your riding strengths...you'd have done well doing a double loop.
Interesting how you can put the hurt on the geared guys on the rollers and inclines.

No suspension...not too rough on you?

·
Registered
5,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Rumpfy said:
No suspension...not too rough on you?
The course was fairly smooth (a little rougher than the CCCX races), and with a 2.4 in. tire up front there's plenty of suspension.

I could have gone two laps, but I thought the SS-class race was three (although I think in the end it might have only been two). This was my first hard ride in about a month, and I'd never ridden the course, so I thought I'd play it safe. Now that the rain seems to have stopped maybe I'll start riding again.

·
Registered
5,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
~martini~ said:
Looks nice. I've always like Bonty's. Still kind of bummed I sold mine to get the Hunter. But then again, I really like the Hunter.
Do you have pics of the Hunter? Hunter still builds with the "Santa Cruz" style. I like his bikes a lot.

·
Unicycles are for clowns
329 Posts
Race

Eric,

I assume you did the Barking Spider? You were definitely at a disadvantage with some of those flats and downhills. Not any worse than a race I did in Spokane last weekend. Only one SS guy showed up and the course was the flattest MTB course I had every seen. Cool to see some old bikes still racing, saw a Fat Chance Yo Eddy, that some kid had.

·
Registered
5,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
kuna said:
Eric,

I assume you did the Barking Spider? You were definitely at a disadvantage with some of those flats and downhills. Not any worse than a race I did in Spokane last weekend. Only one SS guy showed up and the course was the flattest MTB course I had every seen. Cool to see some old bikes still racing, saw a Fat Chance Yo Eddy, that some kid had.
Yep it was Barking Spider. How'd you do? (By the way, is this Brandon?)

The downhills weren't so bad. There was a long one towards the end where I was drafting off of a geared bike. He was pedaling and I had to feather the brakes to not hit his tire. There's no way I could have pedaled around him though. I'm sure I'd have been faster with gears, but not a lot.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.