Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
born to chill
986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok here we go again, this is that practice video I promised way too long ago, 1.5 outlining some of the basic concepts you need to have to bunnyhop. I had to put it together relatively quicklydue to time restraints so it is still missing a little, but really in the end if you just practice your ass of you'll get it.

Anyway enough blabbing, here it is 320x240 mpeg format only. Please RIGHT CLICK and SAVE AS.

https://www.secretreality.com/mtb/tutorials/volume1.5_bunnyhop_practice_session.mpg

I can't emphasize it enough, practice your ass off. I guarantee you will get it down!
Good luck all!
-flow :)

·
Registered
40 Posts
i love your work, keep it up. i feel like i should be sending you money!
like i mentioned in the other thread, my bunnyhops used to be 4" max, but with your first vid, i can clear 1 foot without a problem 8/10 times.
today im going to use an empty beer box on its end. im gonna keep trying until i get that nailed!

cheers mate

·
MTBR Mafia
1,553 Posts
great vid. really like how you break it down i wish i could edit like that cause it looks like fun. my advice for people who want to learn how to j-hop really high is to go out and mess around. i mean i could j-hop just over 30" even before i knew mtb forums existed. so get out there and start practicing

·
bang
1,290 Posts
i wish ALL of your videos were in mpeg format. much more universal (that, and this sucky computer can't play the wmv format without chopping so much that the video becomes a slide-show. bah!)

anyhow...i'd likely kill myself trying to bunny-hop something, but i'll watch anyway :D

lookin' forward to volume #2

·
Phil from San Diego
581 Posts
Thanks for the video Flow. =)

I can get the front wheel up no problem but it's the rear that just don't want to come up! =/ Even when I pull and lock the front brake, the rear still won't come up. Maybe I'm not shifting my weight forward enough even when I feel like I'm right over the handlebar... or maybe I need more upper body strength and bigger guns like yours!

I'll keep at it... But w/out Skeletor telling me to practice.. the motivation just isn't there. =p

At least I've mastered the small drops thanks to your Volume 3! Looking forward to your other videos and tricks.

Phil.

·
born to chill
986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Kevin B said:
i love your work, keep it up. i feel like i should be sending you money!
like i mentioned in the other thread, my bunnyhops used to be 4" max, but with your first vid, i can clear 1 foot without a problem 8/10 times.
today im going to use an empty beer box on its end. im gonna keep trying until i get that nailed!

cheers mate
Lol, right on, send it :)

American Red Cross
P.O. Box 37243
Washington, D.C. 20013

heh, anyway, good to hear the vids helped you make some progress that is sweet. When you nail that beer carton you have to post some pix :)

·
born to chill
986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
cdub said:
great vid. really like how you break it down i wish i could edit like that cause it looks like fun. my advice for people who want to learn how to j-hop really high is to go out and mess around. i mean i could j-hop just over 30" even before i knew mtb forums existed. so get out there and start practicing
Thanks, yeah it is fun to edit, its just a lot of work, but it is rewarding to hear people say they were able to learn something new or improve so it gives me drive to keep doing them. There's some decent software out there, if you have Windows XP you can use the free movie maker to do some edit work too. My first video was just with a digital camera and XP movie maker, kindof to prove a point that you don't need fancy equipment. Although now I'm using vegas and my DV camcorder :) I'm hoping to get a helmet camera this weekend so I can maybe get some more interesting shots. Plus I was thinking about recording a mini-movie-short-film-thing I dunno we'll see.

·
born to chill
986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Cyco-Dude said:
i wish ALL of your videos were in mpeg format. much more universal (that, and this sucky computer can't play the wmv format without chopping so much that the video becomes a slide-show. bah!)

anyhow...i'd likely kill myself trying to bunny-hop something, but i'll watch anyway :D

lookin' forward to volume #2
lol, well all the future ones will be at least, its much more universal. I suppose I could go back and convert the other ones too, hrm...

ps: try it anyway, you can surely nail it with practice. :)

·
born to chill
986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Prexus2005 said:
Thanks for the video Flow. =)

I can get the front wheel up no problem but it's the rear that just don't want to come up! =/ Even when I pull and lock the front brake, the rear still won't come up. Maybe I'm not shifting my weight forward enough even when I feel like I'm right over the handlebar... or maybe I need more upper body strength and bigger guns like yours!

I'll keep at it... But w/out Skeletor telling me to practice.. the motivation just isn't there. =p

At least I've mastered the small drops thanks to your Volume 3! Looking forward to your other videos and tricks.

Phil.
You must have way too much weight over the rear of your bike if you can't endo it while locking out your front brake. While on flat land try throwing your whole body forward like you're gonna bail over your bars, forget the rocking of the bars. Just throw your body forward, that alone ought to be enough to lift the rear tire up off the ground at least a couple inches, you should feel it unweight itself then skid a tiny bit when it comes back down.

Good deal on the wheelie drops, get some pix :) I'm thinking a tutorial on doubles next maybe? It will progress, starting with a table then carving the center out. I dunno, you had a bunch of other good suggestions too. Although I might want to start on that little mini-movie thing. We'll see I guess...

I'm trying to work out getting some animated motivation clips in there, ala Gi-Joe or Transformers. Don't make me bust out Underdog! :)

·
born to chill
986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
red_head_67 said:
Does it matter how heavy your bike is. Coz I can't seem to bunnyhop but my bike weighs about 15kg and I only weigh 48 Kg
It does and it doesn't. You do need a little more muscle if your bike is really heavy. For example I'm 5'11", 200# and my bike is about 36# Which isn't that bad considering, I've seen some dudes bunnyhop 45# pretty high.

Anyway if I am measuring right, you're about 110# and your bike is 35#. Extra body weight does help a little, but I was able to bunnyhop higher when I was younger and lighter, so you should be able to do it. The weight helps a little because that's what you throw around on your bike to manipulate how it moves beneath you.

Although, when I was in my "prime" I was 18 years old, on a 25# bmx bike and I weighed 125#.

·
iBike
22 Posts
flowmaster said:
lol, well all the future ones will be at least, its much more universal. I suppose I could go back and convert the other ones too, hrm...

ps: try it anyway, you can surely nail it with practice. :)
Thanks Flowmaster, really great of you to share you experience with us newbees :)
Your movies are great and educational, very helpful.

Much appreciated, looking forward to the next one

Viktor

Ps. Great in mpg so Mac users can watch them without any trouble

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.