Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
9 lives
22,073 Posts
Beautiful scenery and trails! How would you compare those trails to the trails around St Raymond - Vallee Bras du Nord /Shannahan network?
It's been a couple of years since we rode in Quebec... typically Thanksgiving weekend so I'm feeling nostalgic :) I miss it!

·
Registered
586 Posts
Awesome video. Was planning to include this place on an ill fated PQ fall trip that fell through. Hopefully next year. Sincere thanks for the motivation.

·
trail gnome
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Beautiful scenery and trails! How would you compare those trails to the trails around St Raymond - Vallee Bras du Nord /Shannahan network?
It's been a couple of years since we rode in Quebec... typically Thanksgiving weekend so I'm feeling nostalgic :) I miss it!
  • At VBN - particularly at Shannahan - you can link together multiple trails for an epic ride that covers a lot of distance with epic scenery to match. Shannahan feels more "remote".
  • The trails at SDM are centered around two mountains, so the riding there tends to involve multiple circuits of whichever mountain you choose. You take a climbing trail to reach the top of the mountain, then choose a descending trail, and then repeat until you are happy and tired. The descents are steep and fast.
  • The riding at SDM on average is more technical, with lots of black, double black, and pro line trails.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Really nice video Ray. It really nicely capture the sprit of Maelstrom sector. SDM really has grown into a must go when in Quebec City. Both sector (original mountain and newer Maelstrom) are pretty different. But trail building and design is just amazing. You really have to like technical riding and also climbing. At Shanahan, I did 3 rides of more than 40km this summer (2 of them on my hardtail) and after 20 to 24km at SDM I'm toasted...

Must do at the original mountain: Leon, LB2, Super G, Viking (lots of new trails with big jumps and drops but I'm getting old for that). At Maelstrom: Vortex, Crête du Lynx, Slab City, Haute-Maelstrom/Maelstrom, Granitosaure, Velocirator and my favorite Wolverin. But unless you're on an e-bike, you need at least two days...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.