Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This video was kinda hard to watch, I'm a fan of Absalon. Obviously you can't always win, but to see the guy that usually just rides even Susi off his wheel just collapse...... You can see that he is just crushed.

EDIT: I just noticed the pat on the back by Swedish rider at around time 1:10. Good sportsmanship by Fredrik Kessiakoff.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,870 Posts
Can't say he didn't leave it all out on course. God, looks brutal, and he and Sauser had a good gap too...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
CB2 said:
Wow, that is rough.
The thing that strikes me is that it seems so ordinary, like any race, anywhere, yet in that short clip it is the best of the best. Camera doesn't do justice to how hard it is.
It does look "ordinary." It's almost like you would expect that the best of the best would be flying up that hill. And watching it up close in person they probably are. But, like you say, the camera doesn't do it justice and it looks like the local group ride slogging uphill in granny gear.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
glenzx said:
Can't say he didn't leave it all out on course. God, looks brutal, and he and Sauser had a good gap too...
I think that was 3rd place Swiss guy Ralf Naef he's chasing up the hill. Sauser was way up the trail by this point.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
738 Posts
he didn't look good at the starting line

I watched the UCI webcast replay of that race. In the shots of him before the start, it looked like he was feeling sick or uncomfortable.

Maybe it was the heat, something like 85 with high humidity.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,870 Posts
stevemtu said:
I watched the UCI webcast replay of that race. In the shots of him before the start, it looked like he was feeling sick or uncomfortable.

Maybe it was the heat, something like 85 with high humidity.
Got a link?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
822 Posts
merlin said:
Ouch!
Bet he would not be walking his bike if he was racing a FS Bike!;) ;) ;)
Not sure if the winking smiley faces indicate sarcasm, but this needs to be said:

Absalon suffering from the heat/cramps/whatever had nothing to do with what kind of bike he was riding.

The dude's body gave out on him. Simple as that. Even the best rider in the world can have an off day every now and then.
 

·
LA CHÈVRE
Joined
·
9,429 Posts
duke of kent said:
Not sure if the winking smiley faces indicate sarcasm, but this needs to be said:

Absalon suffering from the heat/cramps/whatever had nothing to do with what kind of bike he was riding.

The dude's body gave out on him. Simple as that. Even the best rider in the world can have an off day every now and then.
Otherwise, he would have been walking his bikes in every other races since he always use his hardtail...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
He'll be back, right??

duke of kent said:
Not sure if the winking smiley faces indicate sarcasm, but this needs to be said:

Absalon suffering from the heat/cramps/whatever had nothing to do with what kind of bike he was riding.

The dude's body gave out on him. Simple as that. Even the best rider in the world can have an off day every now and then.
I hope that two off days in two races is enough to get it out of his system. He was only 11th in Andorra, took a break for Ft. Williams to concentrate on Worlds, then DNF'd Worlds. Anyone else see him storming to victory in Beijing to make up for this?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
738 Posts
I subscribe to cyclingtv

glenzx said:
Got a link?
http://cycling.tv/

go to 'video on demand' after you get on

..but I am not sure the mtb worlds was 'free to view'.

Cape epic is in the archive there and is free if you want to see a really slick mtb race production

EDIT: well, the world championship replay is now gone from the cycling tv site, as is the cape epic video. Sorry if i caused anyone to waste their time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,393 Posts
ewarnerusa said:
It does look "ordinary." It's almost like you would expect that the best of the best would be flying up that hill. And watching it up close in person they probably are. But, like you say, the camera doesn't do it justice and it looks like the local group ride slogging uphill in granny gear.
It shocked me because it looked like they were in granny gears. I didn't even think those guys rode with a small chain ring on their bikes. That must have been one hell of a course.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,992 Posts
Gatorback said:
It shocked me because it looked like they were in granny gears. I didn't even think those guys rode with a small chain ring on their bikes. That must have been one hell of a course.
Looks are decieving. They were not in their granny gears. I asked my wife about it and she said she kept it the middle ring. BTW that is the exact spot where she passed Gunrita on last lap.
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top