Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He is 7, will be 8 in June. It is a Specialized Rockhopper 20" and has served us well. Not sure how tall he is... an average sized lad. Glad you enjoyed the video. Check this one out:

·
thecentralscrutinizer
3,005 Posts
Cool. Can't wait to get my boy out on some singletrack for the first time.

·
turtles make me hot
11,604 Posts
My little guy loves singletrack. I can't wait til he starts being able to do hills.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Nice, looks like I need to go check out Sherman Branch with my daughter (she's 8)

We rode Fisher Farm (green trail) for the first time last Sunday and really liked it. Heading back tomorrow for a ride.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah Sherman has been great for riding w my son. We like Fisher Farm as well. LNSP is the perfect trail system for kids and has pretty damn good camping too. Will be hitting that up for sure this year.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Can you find out how tall your son is, I am looking to buy my stepdaughter a bike and I keep getting bounced between 20 and 24 inch bike. She is 7 soon to turn 8 and is about 48 inches tall.

·
Registered
165 Posts
dblvanos said:
Can you find out how tall your son is, I am looking to buy my stepdaughter a bike and I keep getting bounced between 20 and 24 inch bike. She is 7 soon to turn 8 and is about 48 inches tall.
I am probably not the guy you are referring to but this might help anyway: My boy is about 48 inches and has a Specialized RockHopper 20 inch. The seatpost is extended about 3 inches and has plenty of room left.

I plan to have him use this bike for at least a year more and then see if he can directly move to a small frame bike with 26 inch wheels.

Kind regards,

Clemens

·
Registered
327 Posts
Cinq said:
I am probably not the guy you are referring to but this might help anyway: My boy is about 48 inches and has a Specialized RockHopper 20 inch. The seatpost is extended about 3 inches and has plenty of room left.

I plan to have him use this bike for at least a year more and then see if he can directly move to a small frame bike with 26 inch wheels.

Kind regards,

Clemens
Clemens,

That helps, I would rather put her on a 24 inch bike as the options are better and I think the bigger wheel will help her on the trail. But I am affraid of getting a bike too large, sadly the lbs does not really stock many options in kids bikes. So I am trying to do as much "market study" as I can before ordering.

·
Registered
165 Posts
dblvanos said:
That helps, I would rather put her on a 24 inch bike as the options are better and I think the bigger wheel will help her on the trail. But I am affraid of getting a bike too large, sadly the lbs does not really stock many options in kids bikes. So I am trying to do as much "market study" as I can before ordering.
Maybe a silly idea, but are there more families riding with kids in your area? I know that I wouldn't mind to have a kid try out the bike of my son just for size...

Kind regards,

Clemens

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
dblvanos said:
52" and the 20" RockHopper is a perfect fit right now.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Cinq said:

Kind regards,

Clemens
I'm also hopeful that I can move my son directly from the 20" RH to a 26" bike. I have a Specialized Mica size small which might get the job done, his older sisters bike. With the aggressive sloping top tube it might work. Of course, I will have to get it powder coated something a little less feminine...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts