Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
mtbr dismember
6,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been very frustrated lately at how the helmet cam flattens and smoothes the trails so I decided to try taping my old lipstick cam to my toe. Results were mixed for several reasons: too much bouncing around if the trail was even slightly bumpy, the sun was directly into the lens most of the day, lots of dust, and too much contrast in the forests due to the sunny skies. An overcast day would be much better. The Pauley Creek babyhead jeep trail footage was just some serious bouncing around and the faster we went, the worse it looked. So I included some slower and less bumpy footage. It turns out the low angle does not adequately represent speed. We hit over 30 mph on 3rd Divide and it looks pretty slow in the video.

Most of these same trails are included in my Downieville video from August 20-21, '05 for comparison. The lipstick cam only supports 4:3 aspect and I did much less compression to make up for the bouncing around and poor video quality out of it. 5:11 long, 58 meg. Edit: after viewing this video several times it has grown on me a bit more.

Right click to download

·
Its only 1" on the map!
1,161 Posts
I like the angle that the "Toe Jam Cams" provide but it is hard to get good stuff in large doses. This video was nicely put together I really like the look when you can see the wheel touching the ground. As well as in turns. Are you a right foot forward guy? The video looked pretty zippy to me.

D-ville - Still on the "To-Do" List

·
MTBr ReMember
654 Posts
Turning 50...on an aluminum rocking chair isn't so bad...

It doesn't look as fast as the widescreen view from last summer...then again it also doesn't end with me on the ground!

Thanks for "Dragging" me up Big Boulder...I wasn't up for the climb at all.
Swimming in the river topped up an outstanding weekend...

Tim

·
mtbr dismember
6,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks

mtbbill said:
I like the angle that the "Toe Jam Cams" provide but it is hard to get good stuff in large doses. This video was nicely put together I really like the look when you can see the wheel touching the ground. As well as in turns. Are you a right foot forward guy?
I had forgotten you did a Toe Jam Cam in Utah or Colorado a while ago. At first I was really disappointed but it has grown on me. Still can't use it for really rocky stuff, which I was hoping to capture. But I like the low vegetation zooming by. I am definitely a right foot forward person, that's when you see half the wheel. You only see the entire wheel, touching the ground, when the camera foot is to the rear. A nice diversion, but about five minutes is enough.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Shoe cam is good novelty but still prefer your helmet shots - ground rush as well as lack of bumps are better on your head. I'm headed up to Downieville this weekend and you just reminded me why I keep going back. Thanks for the footage!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.