Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This routing has proven to have the least amount of cable flex. I have some stick on housing guides coming that will clean up some of the ugly zip ties on the DT but the ones on the seat tube and chain stays will have to stay. The two ties near the main pivot on the rear linkage are somewhat loose and are there to keep the housing from bowing out into the chainwheel and crank arm. The cable ties on the top tube keep my fork from pinching the housing. I'm thinking about putting the stick on guides on the inside of the shock mounting tabs and angling them up slightly so that I can lose the tie on the top tube.
https://i176.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=https://vid176.photobucket.com/albums/w183/audionut44/FILE0057-1.flv

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
LOL. just changed it again. Housing now running down the under side of the down tube. I removed the ties on the linkage and the top tube. I cut my rear line about an inch inch too short it appears. That only affects the routing aesthetically, it's long enough to reach without straining the housing and performance is fine.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Great idea, just wait til you see how much those ties move around and wear in to the frame. I just spent two weeks thrashing my BS at a pile of bike parks in BC and my white frame has housing marks 'burned' in all over the place. The ties need something under them to protect the frame. Needless to say, my frame will be repainted before next Summer!

·
Bikes Rule
1,133 Posts
I don't get what the big deal is over cable routing. On my Gran Mal and my Bottlerocket I run the lines as they were meant to be - on the cable mounts. Never had an issue. Is there something so drastically different with the Blindside? It looks very similar routing to my GM.

Why are there so many people asking about the routing? I am sure Transition did enough R&D to make sure the cable mounts are in the ideal place. I agree with motormouth in that as soon as you get some dirt in there, your frame will look like crap eventually with all of those zip ties. And from an aesthetics point of view, it just does not look pleasing..

·
Registered
13 Posts
Just to follow up, the guides on my BS were probably planned well before the RS Vivid, with it's larger coil. The housing guide clips actually touch the coil! Routing the lines through the shock link will chew through them faster than you can imagine. Routing them on the outside of the link, they flop and bend, contacting everything from your leg to the coil, link and frame. It's an annoyance and a performance issue, for me. It's lame to see a new frame scarred up for no reason and I really don't like wearing through brake lines full of DOT3. I think my recent road trip really sped up the wear process as I was doing lift accessed runs for two weeks. My frame looks like I've been riding it for a year and it's only a month old!

Downtube routing would have been the best plan. I do like my BS, Transition in my opinion is not exactly tops in R&D, quality control or organization, they excell in choices for stickers and colours though. - kidding.

·
= dirt torpedo =
1,210 Posts
combatkimura said:
This routing has proven to have the least amount of cable flex. I have some stick on housing guides coming that will clean up some of the ugly zip ties on the DT but the ones on the seat tube and chain stays will have to stay. The two ties near the main pivot on the rear linkage are somewhat loose and are there to keep the housing from bowing out into the chainwheel and crank arm. The cable ties on the top tube keep my fork from pinching the housing. I'm thinking about putting the stick on guides on the inside of the shock mounting tabs and angling them up slightly so that I can lose the tie on the top tube.
https://i176.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=https://vid176.photobucket.com/albums/w183/audionut44/FILE0057-1.flv
this cable routing is strikingly similar to my R9, which has by far the cleanest cable routing I've seen.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Demo-9 said:
I don't get what the big deal is over cable routing. On my Gran Mal and my Bottlerocket I run the lines as they were meant to be - on the cable mounts. Never had an issue. Is there something so drastically different with the Blindside? It looks very similar routing to my GM.

Why are there so many people asking about the routing? I am sure Transition did enough R&D to make sure the cable mounts are in the ideal place. I agree with motormouth in that as soon as you get some dirt in there, your frame will look like crap eventually with all of those zip ties. And from an aesthetics point of view, it just does not look pleasing..
You would have to own one to know why people are complaining. I had my cables running on the outside of the link for two weeks with no serious riding and the rubber housing on the rear shift cable was worn completely off. I even had the fuzzy stick on velcro on the link where the cable contacted it. The cable mounts are not in the ideal place.

As far as the zip ties go they will be replaced with sick on housing guides. I wrote this in my original post. The ties were there for experimentation with placement. The ties on the chainstays will remain however.

There is so little cable movement with this setup I highly doubt that I will have any problems.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.