Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
It's a cool video, but I think you could do a few things. First, push/pull zooming for some of the stationary shots. (If you have a lens with an adjustable focal length.) For some of the shots like 1:16 I would suggest also recording with the camera closer to the landing, low to the ground and of course angled more upwards. Some of the parts like 1:48 the bottom part of the rider is cut off. I think the music is a good choice. Definitely has potential.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
great effort,,, i really like the angles and the riding, like the other guy said maybe a little closer to the landing angled slighly higher, and maybe try some things like glide track or dolly, or zip line,(assuming there would be somthing to attatch it to) these things can be made quite easily, you dont have to buy professional equipment, :)

·
VP/ Terrain Designer
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The only cams I have are a HD GoPro and a point and shoot camera that also takes 720 vid. I didn't intentionaly cut off the bottom of the riders; it can be difficult when the vid cam doesnt have a view finder or screen to view what you're shooting. I need to get a GoPro LCD screen.

·
VP/ Terrain Designer
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
kdiff said:
It's a cool video, but I think you could do a few things. First, push/pull zooming for some of the stationary shots. (If you have a lens with an adjustable focal length.) For some of the shots like 1:16 I would suggest also recording with the camera closer to the landing, low to the ground and of course angled more upwards. Some of the parts like 1:48 the bottom part of the rider is cut off. I think the music is a good choice. Definitely has potential.
What the whole push/pull effect for? how is it used? thanks

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
NastyNick said:
What the whole push/pull effect for? how is it used? thanks
I meant for basic use such as being zoomed on a rider when they are far away and then being able to zoom out (wider/shorter focal length) as they approached so they could still fit in the camera frame and then you could zoom back on them (increase focal length) as they went farther away. Basically to keep the subject from either being a small speck or over-filling the frame. It's not mandatory, but it was something to mess with if you have a camera with that capability. (The video had a GoPro feel to it but it didn't seem wide enough so I wasn't sure if you were using a point & shoot w/ video capability.)

(If you want to get really fancy with effects: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolly_zoom Though, I don't know how well a dolly zoom would translate to mtb videos.)

The link below might be useful for you if want to create your own cable setup. I was thinking it might be cool on the trail from your other posting (the chest mount one).

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/DIY-cable-cam-2011.html

·
VP/ Terrain Designer
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Fullsailbiker said:
I don't know what you are using to edit but the push/pull effect can be don with "pan and crop" on Sony Vegas. I just learned how to do it on this video and there are more things to do with it than that.
Very nice! I'm still learning Vegas Pro; I know how to crop vids, but havn't figured out the whole panning thing yet. I would have like to use some panning in this quick clip I just did.
http://www.pinkbike.com/v/186715/l/

A & M, B.Y.S. on pinkbike.com

·
VP/ Terrain Designer
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
A-NON-A said:
Just got a copy of Vegas Pro 9 and I am looking for good advice tutorials..... Planing on finally doing something with all my clips...

Advice for sites?
I havn't really checked any tutorial/forum sites yet; I should though. It might help answer some of my own questions.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.