Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey!! ok to start off im 17 but am super active and have REALLY fell in love with biking. I really want to start it as a sport and hobby...but am really lost! Right now Im riding a lot on my bike from like...when I was ten,..and yeah its not cutting it! So in these next few days im trying to find a spot to get me a new one, except im not sure if I want to do mountian biking or ten speed! I would love it if someone could just deal with my stupidity and guide me through this...im really excited and looking forward to starting!! thanks so much I appreciate it :D

·
Registered
629 Posts
contrysky05 said:
Hey!! ok to start off im 17 but am super active and have REALLY fell in love with biking. I really want to start it as a sport and hobby...but am really lost! Right now Im riding a lot on my bike from like...when I was ten,..and yeah its not cutting it! So in these next few days im trying to find a spot to get me a new one, except im not sure if I want to do mountian biking or ten speed! I would love it if someone could just deal with my stupidity and guide me through this...im really excited and looking forward to starting!! thanks so much I appreciate it :D
Im kind of confused about what your question is, but i think your question is whether you want to road bike or mountain bike. Its entirely personal preference. I think teenagers tend to lean more towards mountain biking because of the extreme element of it. However, some people like the pure speed of road biking.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Read up on the different forms of mountain biking, and try them allll out. See what catches your fancy.

I'm 18, 2nd year college, and I started mountain biking just for fun/transportation.. during high school I raced XC, and now I'm just a silly urban punk :D

·
Registered
116 Posts
If you want to ride for pure recreation or exercise (as opposed to basic transportation from point A to point B) then if you have places to ride off road you probably will enjoy mountain biking more than road biking.

Personally I have both, my road bike that I bought back in 1985, which is a decient bike, and a new mountain bike. I live in an area that is perfect for mountain biking and the roads are cool also, lots of country roads with very little amounts of car traffic, but there are many hills, and I mean big hills and I'm much older now than I was back in 1985.

If i ride my mountain bike on the road, some guy on a road bike will wizz by me like I'm standing still, but you cant take a road bike into the woods.

Once again, my vote is for mountain biking, but it's a free county man.

Tom

·
Registered
86 Posts
It would probably be easiest to start with an entry level mountain bike. As others have mentioned, you can do most anything with a mountain bike reasonably well...but you can't take a road bike off road. If you find that you really like road biking and you want to get serious about it, you can get rid of the mtb and get a road bike that suits your needs. You can actually run skinny (1.0) slick tires on a mtb for road riding. It is still far inferior to a road bike, but it will get you by as far as a hobby is concerned. Just don't try to ride with the local road club on their "hard" days with an mtb...impossible to keep up.
Your decision may also depend on where you live. Go to the local bike shop and ask what kind of mtb trails/riding/clubs there are in the area. When you're first starting out doing mtb it is great to ride trails with a local group (or friends that ride). They can help you along and give you pointers that will make learning how to ride off road much more fun.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Search the threads hard, as well as the local thread based on where you live. Read about different types of bikes and different types of riding. You should first decide what type of riding you want to do.

Do you have singletrack/doubletrack (aka xcountry, riding through forests with rocks, roots, tight turns, uphill and downhills on dirt...etc) in your area? Have you tried this and is this what you like? If so a hardtail or full suspension bike is what you want.

Do you like road racing, like the 10-speed you mentioned? If so, try cyclingforums.com and see what they're talking about.

You can also pick up some magazines (dirt rag, bicycling, Bike, etc.) and get a feel for what's happening.

If you have digital cable or satellite there is a station called Extreme Sports, they have shows on mountain biking that may interest you.

Again, search the threads and see what interests you...

·
Registered
301 Posts
contrysky05 said:
Where are you going to ride? If you going going to go off road then get the mtn bike. You can't take a road bike (10-speed) onto trails.

Now, If you going to remain on pavement then go for the road bike. You ride a mtn bike on the road but you going slower and you'll be more beat up at the end of the ride. With a road bike you'll be able to faster and longer. Road bikes are design for speed and distance where as mtn are design for torque/power.

Here, where I'm going to throw a wrench into thing. Another option might be a cyclocross bike. These are basically road bikes that have been beef up a little with higher ground cleareance and thicker tire so the can be ridden off road (fireroad and light XC trails). If you going to do a lot of road and some light XC this might be a good option for you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
wraith said:
Where are you going to ride? If you going going to go off road then get the mtn bike. You can't take a road bike (10-speed) onto trails.

Now, If you going to remain on pavement then go for the road bike. You ride a mtn bike on the road but you going slower and you'll be more beat up at the end of the ride. With a road bike you'll be able to faster and longer. Road bikes are design for speed and distance where as mtn are design for torque/power.

Here, where I'm going to throw a wrench into thing. Another option might be a cyclocross bike. These are basically road bikes that have been beef up a little with higher ground cleareance and thicker tire so the can be ridden off road (fireroad and light XC trails). If you going to do a lot of road and some light XC this might be a good option for you.
Hey!! thanks a lot for your post...I actually went to a bike shop in town yesterday and they guy there helped me out alot..since im new to everything! i was looking at the road bikes because im really interested in those ( as a kid i did a lot of mtb biking and i love it..but the road/distance thing has my eye now) so i was looking at those..and well they are pretty serious. A lot of money for only ONE type of road pavement. The places I can go biking around here..are mostly road but have gravel...so and i didnt want a mtb either. The guy suggested this bike a trek something, that is a road bike but the wheels are a lil more tough...so if i hit some gravel im ok. That sounded good..so i cant go in the forest with it..but i can do some pretty heave road stuff if i get caught. The bike u suggested sounds awesome too and i will have ot look into it. Thanks a lot. im going back to the shop today so i will talk to the guy about it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
shrugs* said:
Read up on the different forms of mountain biking, and try them allll out. See what catches your fancy.

I'm 18, 2nd year college, and I started mountain biking just for fun/transportation.. during high school I raced XC, and now I'm just a silly urban punk :D
Hey...18 2nd year college? wow good stuff. well i went to the bike shop in town yesterday and im going back again today, they guy pointed out this style of bike that is learning more to road biking ( what i want) but also has thicker wheels in case of gravel and stuff...so its kinda in between. But thanks for your post..and yeah even though im only in high school i would love to find places to race and ride...how long do you think i should be biking before thinking about racing?!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts