Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I like towards the end where he says he is willing to go to jail to protect the resources and ensure they are still there for his children and grandchildren. It is an admirable stance.

·
Registered
5,995 Posts
Wow. That takes a lot of guts to do what he did. It will be interesting to see how it all plays out. If Obama stops this area from being developed, does that make this guy a hero?

Thanks for posting it.

·
Registered
633 Posts
I hope they throw his a$$ in jail. Everyone that is against drilling puts on their rubber soled shoes and drives their cars to the protest. They would rather have us rely more heavily on foreign oil and make us more vulnerable to outside interests? Lets send more of our money to countries that spend it finding ways to blow us and our allies up. Fantastic plan.

·
Look out!
862 Posts
Or, Mr. Duck, break the oil/automobile industry cabal of status quo, and put emphasis on a new kind of way to get around. More public transportation, more conservation, wean ourselves off of oil. I don't have the answer but, "drill baby, drill" doesn't solve the problem either.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Agreed, but banning all drilling everywhere that there could be someone that might possibly be offended makes no sense either. Since everyone voted for "Change" having no idea what change was even being offered let's hope alternative energy is the mystery guest. Until then I am not excited by the pseudo hippie wannabes protesting to feel better about their hybrid vehicles that have a larger total carbon footprint than me and my truck. If people want to make change than great, come up with new ideas and make personal changes in your life that further that goal. If all people want to do is complain, disrupt, and pay lip service to "change" then stand in line with all of the other marketed lemmings and jump off the cliff. It's always amazing to me how many people think they are part of the solution when they are really part of the problem. Freedom of personal thought, if more people used it instead of droning on with thoughts placed into their heads by someones marketing department we would live in a more interesting place.

Wow, all of that with out a single cocktail.

·
TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
2,982 Posts
Not to derail this thread but who here thinks that Munchkins are creepy? Or think Mussolini was way studly? Or think Jesus with a Winchester is "so right"? Or think that World of Warcraft has gotten too lifelike?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
some debate...

Taking the article at face value, this was a very unpopular initiative to auction off these leases. BLM was under tremendous pressure to back down and they did to some degree. These areas are very special to a lot of people and the impact of drilling is not so minor. The infrastructure (roads, utilities, facilities) to support a drilling site could have tremendous impact on an area, and for what?
We get about 10% of our oil from the middle eastern region. Pretty small number right? Think about it, if every american used 10% less oil, we could eliminate dependence on those terrorist folks over there. Drink bottled water?, the oil used in plastic for bottled water could fuel 100,000 cars in the US for a year http://recipes.howstuffworks.com/bottled-water.htm
The answer is not drilling nearly as much as this consumer mentality of the people as a whole. There are many ways we can be part of the solution and conserve more, but that is a personal matter and not what the article is about. The gentleman in the article may or may not be part of the solution, but he is standing up for what he believes in, in a nonviolent way. The article paints a picture of a very unpopular auction that many top officials wished to see stalled for review or pulled altogether. When they were ignored, it was the little guy who through a wrench in the spokes and now there will be a new administration in office with a hopefully vastly different agenda in this regard. The man may just have saved those areas for their natural state. I solute his efforts.

·
Registered
633 Posts
I guess I am ahead of the curve as I use a Kleen Kanteen for water and drive less than 5,000 miles a year. I also enjoy the fact that fill up my BIG AMERICAN TRUCK for less than $50 now. Nice thing about having such a truck is it is good for running over the Spotted Owl and Hippie wannabes.

Twisted, I agree, creepy.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Duckiller said:
Agreed, but banning all drilling everywhere that there could be someone that might possibly be offended makes no sense either. Since everyone voted for "Change" having no idea what change was even being offered let's hope alternative energy is the mystery guest. Until then I am not excited by the pseudo hippie wannabes protesting to feel better about their hybrid vehicles that have a larger total carbon footprint than me and my truck.
Who peed in your Post Toasties? Right now the oil companies have so many oil leases they don't know what to do with all of them. Have you driven through Colorado or Wyoming lately? And there is more to it than just drilling.

What's with all this hatred of hippies. They are only one degree off ********. They just smoke better pot than ******** and drive Folkswagens instead of ***-arrows and monster trucks. They really are much closer to each other than you might think. Those poor hippies are just looking to find the energy to jack up the Folkswagen to sport chromed pot leaves on the mudflaps instead of those chromed woman that appear to have no waist and pointy boobs on those fancy monster trucks. Speaking of which it makes me wonder if secretly ******** would like their woman to come in two parts. (This is the space to be filled in later by Earthpig or Twisted.)

If hippies didn't smoke such good pot they would remember to get their mullets trimmed up so they still had that business in the front look. So it wasn't that the "hippie" hated oil rigs and drilling he just hated chromed woman and the thought of looking like his big brother Bob.

Time to go, must head back to my "camp." Now which camp is it?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.