Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Ultra Ventanaphile
Joined
·
3,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
First off, my apologizes for being late, I was laid out by a nasty cold this week, spent most of Monday thru Wedneday in bed hacking up my lungs.

But before that did get in a great 18 miler on Sunday.

Two Ventanas where representn' Myself on Salty, and Sherwood on his Comondante.
We had three guys on Special Eds and one Giant with us. We schooled them,of course it was mostly Sherwood kicking arse, but I did throw down at the end.

Winter has arrived in Nor Cal, it might still be sunny, but yes it was cold, 32 degrees to start, by Tuesday morning the low was 29.

Pic #1Dam cold, anything not exposed to the sun had frost on it.
Pic #2 Comondante at rest as I started the day off on "Flat note" BTW - 2.3 Hutch Spyders on Rhyno lites in 32 degree weather = three METAL levers to take off. WAPITA!!
Pic #3 Much later on in the ride, a nice berm to show off on...
Pic #4 Sherwood smoothly flowing the trail...
Pic #5 Me in the same area entering a creek crossing, Talented bike designer yes, but Sherwoods still working on his photog skills.... :)
 

Attachments

·
Ultra Ventanaphile
Joined
·
3,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
A few more pics..

A Few last shots..

Pic #1 - Bob? What bob? Zero wasted energy on this machine...

Pic #2 - The Special Ed boys had a much tougher time in the same section......:)

Pic #3- Creek crossing made to look easy by both the rider and machine.

That's all the good pics I got, way too busy hammering the ride out and having a good time.

Oh one other thing though, I did try the Comondante on a short, semi steep, rocky hill just for kicks while we waited for the Special Ed boys to catch up and I must say the 29'er wheels really do just roll over the rocks surprising easy. Freakishly easily actually...

-Aaron
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,149 Posts
Cool pics, though I feel a bit cheated on that first post (5 pics?). Too bad you have to share the cold temps. We're hitting daytime highs in the low 30s right now.

I take it you live near Sherwood cause it seems you guys hook up for rides on occassion.
 

·
Shot Down in Flames...
Joined
·
1,218 Posts
Hey, if Sherwood is gonna rock the rigid SS 29er, he needs to switch the disc brakes out to some cantilevers. ;)

Seriously, IIRC Sherwood's not a tall guy. I would like to hear his take on the 29er for those not 6' and above.

Or maybe he's just out for street cred, going hardcore rigid and all. :p

D.
 

·
Having a nice day!
Joined
·
1,422 Posts
I'd like to hear Sherwood's take on that, too. Especially now that he has had some extended time on his creations. I'm 5'8", and while I'm not in the market for a new hardtail right now, my curiousity on the 29" craze might lead me to consider it down the road if the merits are that substantial for vertically challenged souls such as myself.
 

·
\|/Home of the Braves\|/
Joined
·
1,926 Posts
LoneStar said:
I'd like to hear Sherwood's take on that, too. Especially now that he has had some extended time on his creations. I'm 5'8", and while I'm not in the market for a new hardtail right now, my curiousity on the 29" craze might lead me to consider it down the road if the merits are that substantial for vertically challenged souls such as myself.
This from a guy who has standover as one of his top buying criteria? I'd think there's more risk involved for you and the boys? I can see it now - The El Huevos :p
OK, I must stop now!

Nice pictures! Looks like you had a great time.
 

·
Having a nice day!
Joined
·
1,422 Posts
RedRocker said:
This from a guy who has standover as one of his top buying criteria? I'd think there's more risk involved for you and the boys? I can see it now - The El Huevos :p
OK, I must stop now!

Nice pictures! Looks like you had a great time.
I was going to ask if the 29" hardtails had an X-frame option on the front triangle but refrained. Plus hardtail standover doesn't seem to be the issue that it is on full suspension frames

Excellent name submission BTW!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,083 Posts
Sorry I missed that ride. I ended up doing the Sunday morning shop ride at 8:00. Only problem was I was the only guy who showed up. Freakin' wimps! Blasting down the bike trail on my road bike all by myself. Funoramma! :rolleyes: I would have rather been freezing with you guys. At least I would have had a little fun.
 

·
Ultra Ventanaphile
Joined
·
3,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorry about that but...

steiny said:
Cool pics, though I feel a bit cheated on that first post (5 pics?). Too bad you have to share the cold temps. We're hitting daytime highs in the low 30s right now.

I take it you live near Sherwood cause it seems you guys hook up for rides on occassion.
It's MTBR's limit when uploading using their server. Just 5 per post.

I have sbc global for internet storage but I get very inconsistent access to it, so that's why I use the MTBR servor.

We're lucky here in Nor-Cal Mid 30's are our overnight lows. So I guess I can't complain.

Sherwood and I both live in the Same county, and Sherwood and I have been riding together and friends well before I ever bought my first Ventana. Going on 12 years I think.

Ok no more insider secrets for today.

:)

A
 

·
Ultra Ventanaphile
Joined
·
3,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Bummer...

Pauliemon said:
Sorry I missed that ride. I ended up doing the Sunday morning shop ride at 8:00. Only problem was I was the only guy who showed up. Freakin' wimps! Blasting down the bike trail on my road bike all by myself. Funoramma! :rolleyes: I would have rather been freezing with you guys. At least I would have had a little fun.
It would have been nice to meet ya.

Bummer on getting ditched. That's always no fun.

I will be going to Fleming/Sly soon as it's part of our regular rotation of rides. This weekend is up in the air, we've had a death in the family, and I need to be very wise about where and when or IF I choose to ride.

But soon enough I/we will, and we'll hook up, if you don't mind going slow enough for me!

-a
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
753 Posts
Ciclistagonzo said:
First off, my apologizes for being late, I was laid out by a nasty cold this week, spent most of Monday thru Wedneday in bed hacking up my lungs.

But before that did get in a great 18 miler on Sunday.

Two Ventanas where representn' Myself on Salty, and Sherwood on his Comondante.
We had three guys on Special Eds and one Giant with us. We schooled them,of course it was mostly Sherwood kicking arse, but I did throw down at the end.

Winter has arrived in Nor Cal, it might still be sunny, but yes it was cold, 32 degrees to start, by Tuesday morning the low was 29.

Pic #1Dam cold, anything not exposed to the sun had frost on it.
Pic #2 Comondante at rest as I started the day off on "Flat note" BTW - 2.3 Hutch Spyders on Rhyno lites in 32 degree weather = three METAL levers to take off. WAPITA!!
Pic #3 Much later on in the ride, a nice berm to show off on...
Pic #4 Sherwood smoothly flowing the trail...
Pic #5 Me in the same area entering a creek crossing, Talented bike designer yes, but Sherwoods still working on his photog skills.... :)
Great pics. More Ventana riders need to take their cameras out with them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,624 Posts
ajr said:
Great pics. More Ventana riders need to take their cameras out with them.
Yes, that's a great idea Alan. I'll start carrying my compact camera on rides and I'll also bring a high speed DSLR next time we go to chicsands for some more action shots.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,040 Posts
Few things:
  1. Is Sherwood's fork rigid Al? If so, ouch.
  2. What's up with the fella rocking the LT SID? Yikes.
  3. Shorties can ride 29ers just fine. Probably takes a little more thought in design to avoid toe overlap but unless you're a midget/dwarf/troll/gnome with clown feet it shouldn't be an issue.
 

·
Ultra Ventanaphile
Joined
·
3,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sherwood's Fork...

Soupboy said:
Few things:
  1. Is Sherwood's fork rigid Al? If so, ouch.
  2. What's up with the fella rocking the LT SID? Yikes.
  3. Shorties can ride 29ers just fine. Probably takes a little more thought in design to avoid toe overlap but unless you're a midget/dwarf/troll/gnome with clown feet it shouldn't be an issue.
1) Sherwood for is a Chromoly.
2) LT SID, well he's on Special Ed, need I say more? :) Actually, it's what he likes so to each their own.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,083 Posts
Ciclistagonzo said:
It would have been nice to meet ya.

Bummer on getting ditched. That's always no fun.

I will be going to Fleming/Sly soon as it's part of our regular rotation of rides. This weekend is up in the air, we've had a death in the family, and I need to be very wise about where and when or IF I choose to ride.

But soon enough I/we will, and we'll hook up, if you don't mind going slow enough for me!

-a
Sorry to hear of the passing in your family.

Keep me informed on rides. I'll make a few of these rides in the future. We are down to 4 mechanics at the shop. The shop foreman is a many time cross champ and races both Sat. and Sun. Now that cyclocross season is coming to a end I'll be getting a few weekends back.

I ride so slow that I have trouble keeping balance.
 

·
Ultra Ventanaphile
Joined
·
3,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ha!

Pauliemon said:
I ride so slow that I have trouble keeping balance.
I'm having trouble believing that one, especially since you just ordered your Comondante!

-BTW - Thanks. I appreciate the thoughts.

Will do on keeping ya posted.

I remember my days as a shop rat, never rode LESS than when I worked in the industry!

Still though I do miss wrenching some days.

-A
 

·
T , V , & K Rider
Joined
·
2,342 Posts
That's Cold ?

Ciclistagonzo said:
Winter has arrived in Nor Cal, it might still be sunny, but yes it was cold, 32 degrees to start, by Tuesday morning the low was 29.

Aaron, I think we agree on a lot of things like Ventana frames are sweet, Rock Shox forks are way better than they used to be, and mountain biking is the best sport around but I disagree with you on what cold is ! Nice photo's by the way ! Someday I'll have to visit Ole California to do some biking ! The closest I've come is a couple of ski trips in the Tahoe area ! Anyway, there is nothing like starting out on a solo ride on a balmy day in northern Minnesota to ride in the snow ! :D TIG.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,083 Posts
TIGMAN The closest I've come is a couple of ski trips in the Tahoe area ! [/QUOTE said:
TIG if you threw a rock from Tahoe you'd hit me in the head and it would bounce off and hit Aaron. We are that close. We are just on the other side of the Sierras. If you ever get this way again let us know.

If I head east it gets real cold in about a half hour. Almost Minnesota cold is about a hour away.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,149 Posts
Ciclistagonzo said:
It's MTBR's limit when uploading using their server. Just 5 per post.
A
The day before, I swear there were only 4 pics showing. Even after I posted, it reloaded and only 4 pics were there. I come back a day later to read your post and there they are. Bizzarre.

Keep up the good photo work. We just got like 8 inches of snow, so I won't be posting any pictures of anything for a while. :(
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top