Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey uphill question for ya :)

When I first got my Vertex I don't think it was setup that well because it kept getting chainsuck. Anyway that problem seems to be fixed now but there is what I would call significant damage to the chainstay. Are there any sort of fixs that you would recommend or should I leave it as is? Currently there is about 1.5" X .5" section where the paint is completely gone and the frame is sort of rough. As well beside it is a tiny nick that has left a pretty decent burr.

So to recap:

1) Should I fix it (sand it/paint it)?
2) Should I be worried about the frames integrity?

·
Registered
495 Posts
touch up paint

If you are concerned it wouldn't hurt to call Rocky and get some touch up paint. You could easily clean it up and help protect against further damage. At the very least, some clear nail polish will seal off the scratch, although not as clean looking.

Oh, look into Shimano cranks for chain suck issues. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah I'm just going to use alcohol to clean the area and then paint it with white nail polish and clear coat. As for the crank I am just in the process of putting on a Shimano XT when it shows up. That is why I will fix up the chainstay while I'm at it and the crank is off.

·
Registered
495 Posts
nice

A man with a plan. :thumbsup: I have a Vertex 70 that still has the Race Face cranks, emphasis on still. I've been lucky, no issues but will change to Shimano at the first sign of trouble...or sooner.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I didn't even realize how bad the race face BB was on my bike till I rode another on the weekend using the XT crankset/BB. The very first thing I said was "Wow that drivetrain is so smooth". Even though mine wasn't rough or anything there was just so much drag.

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
Try getting some clear frame patches, Lizard Skins makes them and so do a few others, they will easily stop you chain suck problem from damaging your frame if it happens again. :thumbsup:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.