Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Pipe Dreamer
6,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to start acquiring parts to build my first wheelset. Even though I've never ridden on 650b's,I'd like to try them out. I have a couple rim brake 26ers that might benefit from bigger wheels,and I'm pretty sure I'll pick up a 1x1 F&F (which I've read is great with 650b's) I'm also a bargain hunter who likes to search garage sales and classifieds for older bikes to tinker with. So,am I crazy for wanting a highly versatile wheelset? One that will work with rim or disc brakes,and use many different axle configurations?

I found a good deal on some Velocity Synergy 32h hoops that I'd like to start out with. Next would most likely be a set of Hope hubs.

Being a total noob at this,is there anything I should consider before I start acquiring parts?

TIA!

·
Registered
Vassago Bandersnatch, Motobecane HAL Comp 27.5+
2,245 Posts
Are you requiring rim brake wheels then? 23mm is pretty narrow for full size 2.1" or greater tires but would work in a pinch. Otherwise Velocity makes a 25mm wide Atlas rim in 650b that has machined sidewalls.

If you're building disc wheels then go with Blunts from Velocity. Otherwise there is a plethora of disc 650b rims on the market.

·
Pipe Dreamer
6,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My thought was to build a wheelset to try out on various bikes with rim or disk brakes. One of those bikes is an old Specialized RockCombo (a CX bike they only made for one year in 1989),which the 23mm rims would probably be fine for. Another bike is a Kona Lava Dome that may not even take the 650b's. I would probably use Paul brakes,if the wheels would work out.

One of the main reasons for thinking of going with the Synergy's is the $30 price tag. But,if they are on the narrow side (thanks for pointing that out,Bike Whisperer!) I may hold off and save up for a wheelset I really want for the 1x1 I'd like to build.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.