Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Evil Jr.
6,859 Posts
It would have been tricky getting over that bridge with that bike! Wow! :eek:

Question: has anyone ever seen a couple on a tandem where the woman wasn't the stoker? Of all the people I know that have them, the guy's always the one driving. :confused:

·
Team NFI
5,303 Posts
Question: has anyone ever seen a couple on a tandem where the woman wasn't the stoker? Of all the people I know that have them, the guy's always the one driving. :confused:
Only variation was a Sunday group ride. 2 women as the stoker female was blind. But the pilot was female.

It's really about height. The taller person has to be in the front. So as on average the woman being smaller of stature they have to go to the back. There is also the discomfort factor... if the positions where reversed the guy would be breathing down the guirl's neck or the woman would feel uncomfortable with the guy's head continously being close her butt.

·
Ms. Monster
1,812 Posts
It's really about height. The taller person has to be in the front. So as on average the woman being smaller of stature they have to go to the back. There is also the discomfort factor... if the positions where reversed the guy would be breathing down the guirl's neck or the woman would feel uncomfortable with the guy's head continously being close her butt.
Why does the taller person need to be in front? This seems like poor design - wouldn't the stoker want to be able to see what's going on? I wouldn't mind having Mr. Monster close to me, but I'd have a really hard time relinquishing control of the bike. Trust me - we tried and I HATED it.

·
Muskoka
3,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It would have been tricky getting over that bridge with that bike! Wow! :eek:
\

The bridge would have been tricky, as was a lot of the other stuff. The line coming off the rocks onto the bridge is pretty sketchy and tight too. Get it wrong and you are in the drink!!
I couldn't believe they cleaned one of the climbs up a longish rock face with several narrow ledges and transitions! The bike weighs 68lb plus you have the second rider on board...JC did mention that this is an incredible upper body workout since you are constantly muscling the bike around as you set up for whatever is coming at you next!!

·
Team NFI
5,303 Posts
Why does the taller person need to be in front? This seems like poor design - wouldn't the stoker want to be able to see what's going on? I wouldn't mind having Mr. Monster close to me, but I'd have a really hard time relinquishing control of the bike. Trust me - we tried and I HATED it.
On a road tandem it's about the reality of wind.

Control is a big factor.

As I mentioned previously about where the stokers head position. If the two are of similar stature it can work. But the majority of women are smaller in height then their partner. So basically picture Marc behind you at my height... would you be comfortable with him prettty much being a half inch from your chamois? Sorry.. I can't word that any better.:D

·
Registered
459 Posts
JC is, or was a Slowspoke. I think he came up with the name for us.
I have been on a tandem with him, we raced another couple of Spokes on the Niagara Parkway, I out weighed him by a bit and it was a handful with me on the back.
My wife and I have a tandem and she has tried a few times to captain but it is very difficult with me as stoker, she does fine with either of my daughters.
It's mostly weight,

·
Registered
54 Posts
tndmnuts

I am lucky enough to have an amazing wife who is fearless on the back of the tandem. At 66 years of age she provides the main power for propelling this big bike up some steep ascents. Fortunately for me she can leg press 1200 lbs!

·
No. Just No.
5,405 Posts
I am lucky enough to have an amazing wife who is fearless on the back of the tandem. At 66 years of age she provides the main power for propelling this big bike up some steep ascents. Fortunately for me she can leg press 1200 lbs!
+Rep for you and your wife! (once you figure out what rep means on the mtbr.com forum ;))

·
No. Just No.
5,405 Posts
JC is, or was a Slowspoke. I think he came up with the name for us.
I have been on a tandem with him, we raced another couple of Spokes on the Niagara Parkway, I out weighed him by a bit and it was a handful with me on the back.
My wife and I have a tandem and she has tried a few times to captain but it is very difficult with me as stoker, she does fine with either of my daughters.
It's mostly weight,
Just realized you need some +rep also for the tandem stuff. :thumbsup:

·
Muskoka
3,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Nice to see you two getting back into some off-road riding. How did your Buckwallow tandem ride go last weekend?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Off Road again

;
Nice to see you two getting back into some off-road riding. How did your Buckwallow tandem ride go last weekend?
Great off road ride at Buckwallow on the tandem. I dropped her off the back once, sorry honey, when we hit a rock drop off and someone had moved the rock stepladder that allows a safe descent. Luckily she wasn't hurt and wanted to ride for another hour! If only the Pugsley came in a tandem option!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.