Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so over the last couple days i have been reading reviews and trying to decide how I want to build my new El Cuervo. For once, i dont have to worry about money cause i have been saving for a while. i have decided on everything except wheelset, fork and brakes--the three most important parts. Here are my choices
Forks: Fox 40 rc2, Marzocchi 888 rc2x, or boxxer rc2
Brakes: Avid Code, Hope m4 rear m6 front, or........
Wheeset: Industry nine dh/fr, Syncross fr, Bombshell Crusher or bearclaw, or mavic deemax...Not to big on building a set because i have been waiting so long...

I do alot of riding in bigsky, mt and in the Bozeman area. Lots of rooty sections and rockgardens with medium to small drops. I want maximum durability because i seem to have this uncanny ability to destroy shite. Fork i am leaning toward 888, brakes i am leaning toward hope combo, and wheelset i am thinking industry nine,

I need some feedback on what works best, especially about Fox 40 versus 888 and boxxer
thanks

·
Registered
938 Posts
I'd get the marzocchi 888 for the fork, shimano saint or formulas for the brakes, and I9 or hadleys on 729 or 823 as the wheels.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Codes for the brakes. I'm running 07 Mono M4's (7" F+R) w/ steel braided hoses on my Nomad, and to be honest, not that impressed. A lot of bling, but I would sacrifice that more more power.

·
Proud lame eBiker
2,678 Posts
try one like this....

...if you want lightweight.

If you kill parts, go with the 888, Hope Mono M4(or the Moto V if you want serious amounts of power).

I still think a nice set of handbuilt wheels are the way to go.

Hadley rear...who cares about the front, or go King for bling...and run the tubeless dh Mavic rims (the name escapes me right now).

Attachments

·
Old No. 7
1,453 Posts
If you're sick of waiting X the I9s, quite the waiting list I've heard. I've just built up a set of hope pro II's on Mavic EX 721's and love them so far. I'm a big dude who's somewhat hard on my gear, and this wheel set seems to be a great balance between strength and weight.
As for the fork, I've had lots of time on an 06 888 RC2X. It was plush, really really adjustable, and very hassle free. Only downsides are the complete lack of race support, and the weight, CS is also kinda BS.
Because of the last three reasons and a few more, I went w/ a Boxxer. So far so good. It's just as stiff feeling, and around 2 lbs lighter (for the WC). The fork lacks some of the adjustability the 888 had, but I haven't missed it yet.
A 40 might be a good in between of the two. But I haven't felt the need for a "beefier" fork yet, and like you, I'm hard on my stuff.
As for the brakes, check out the Shimano Saints. I've had good luck w/ them and you can find them cheap.
Anyways, hope this helped a bit.

·
long standing member
3,095 Posts
ckennedy said:
Wheeset: Industry nine dh/fr, Syncross fr, Bombshell Crusher or bearclaw, or mavic deemax...Not to big on building a set because i have been waiting so long...
I don't have any real-world input, but I have been hearing that it's taking a while for people to get their I9 wheels (like months). That's not confirmed, only what I've been reading on the forums. I bet a good shop that stocks typical DH wheel components (like Go-Ride) could probably build you a nice set of wheels pretty quickly. The Crushers look awesome, I was actually considering them for my RFX build, but decided eight pounds of wheels was excessive. :D Are they even available with a 150mm rear hub?

Regarding the brakes, if you're a big guy the Magura Gustavs are really nice. Overkill for most, maybe, but for a clyde who wants a lot of power and no fade they are great choice.

BTW, I'm jealous as hell. Post some ride pics when you finish building.

Edit: fred.r beat me to the I9 punch.

·
Hisforever
1,860 Posts
dude if your the killerz of the wheelzors just get the azonic outlaws , bend em then gets some more...hadleys are the best but you dont want to build a set. deemax's with the protection plan would rock for you too....if you bust em just send back for new ones...cant loose there...but in yellow? jeez.

marzocchi is durable and works but I like the 40 after trying both. stiffer better dampning qualities... just IMO....

brakes....magura, then hope or shimano....

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
I would say build the wheelset. It usually doesn't take very long. Hope pro 2 hubs laced to 721 or 823 if you want tubless or DT 5.1's if your a light and smooth rider. IMO, I9's are good, they are just way too much bling and not worth it. Personally, if you want bling, kings are the way to go, but I don't know the rear spacing of the el cuervo.

As for brakes, I would say go with Formula Oro Biancos or Puro's

·
Hisforever
1,860 Posts
kings wont work....you need 150mm in the rear...actually I thought at the trade show they had some 150mm's. anyone know? if they are out, they just came on the scene...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
right on guys thanks so much for the input. From what i am hearing I am kinda leaning toward the fox 40 rc2x or the 888 rc2x with the hope Moto V and then a custom built wheelset with hope pro II hubs and Mavic 823 wheels or just the deemax with the insurance plan. I have a mavic proform so they are cheaper. I can always warrantee or replace the hub when i break it. How does this sound considering i am 6'1'' and about 190 with a pack and armor. Again thanks for the advice

1 - 13 of 13 Posts