Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
more skier than biker
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an order placed for a Salsa Selma (SS specific version of the Mamasita basically), but I also now have an opportunity to pick up a Ventana El Commandante at a very good price. Good enough that it's making me reconsider my Selma choice. The Selma won't be in my hands until possibly March, and the Ventana is available....now.

I realize the Selma isn't available yet, but it's basically a Mamasita with an EBB so wondering if any Mammasita head's have ridden Ventana's for comparison sake.

The Selma / Commander would be used for a lot of SS-specific XC racing...both regular distance XC events, maybe an 8 hour, and definitely a 100-miler.

The Selma is really calling me with the sweet flattened carbon seat stays and flattened chain stays. But the Scandium front has me a little worried about longevity. The Ventana is calling me because a) it's hand-built in the USA near my hometown and b) seems as though it woudl be a bit burlier and possibly longer lasting....but it also seems like it might offer a rougher ride overall being all aluminum as compared to the Selma.

Hmm..decisions...decisions...

Any thoughts?

Go.

·
Angry bunny
4,948 Posts
I have a Mamasita and have had an El Comandante.
I dont think you can go too wrong either way.
The Mamasita does ride very nicely and I have done several 4 hour plus rides on it comfortably. There is obviously some "flex" from the seat and chain stays that dampen the vibrations. I am about to SS my Mamasita so will be able to provide you with some feedback on how it handles over the next week or so if you can wait that long.
The Ventana, while being aluminium and a stiff frame that simply rails corners, is definitely not a harsh ride though. I did several similar events to what you are talking about on mine. Maybe it would be a rougher ride than the Selma but I dont think you would be sorry that you got it.

·
Powered by ice cream.
6,359 Posts
Let me channel Fo:

"The Niner is a girlish bike, and probably the flexiest ride I have ever had. Even under my 12 year old girlish figure my Dos Niner wandered all over the place. The Only 29er I have ridden/owned that I HATED and would not recommend

The Ventana is a man's bike, and the best handling all mountain single speed around. Quit whining about aluminum as a frame material and HTFU B$tch."
Yeah, I imagine he would say something like that.

E

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,287 Posts
as usual, I am useless as i cant really help given the lack of time on a Salsa hardtail. Nobodys opinion matters anyways and best i can tell from your post is that your gut feel suggests the Salsa, so go with the Salsa.

There is simply no data to compare any 2 bikes regardless of what the moronic 29er toolz will tell you; all you have is your gut feel which will also tell you that you went with the wrong choice if you buy it so you better listen to it

·
Powered by ice cream.
6,359 Posts
Tyrone Shoelaces said:
I have an order placed for a Salsa Selma (SS specific version of the Mamasita basically), but I also now have an opportunity to pick up a Ventana El Commandante at a very good price. Good enough that it's making me reconsider my Selma choice. The Selma won't be in my hands until possibly March, and the Ventana is available....now.
Just buy the Ventana now, ride it until March and turn it if you don't like it, then report back and tell us what to buy.

If the price is low on the Ventana, I doubt you will be out much if any in the deal.

The Ventana is a stiff, fast, great handling hardtail frame that will beat you up a little. Not as harsh as a Rig, but more harsh than an Inbred.

·
Single Speed Junkie
3,116 Posts
Tyrone Shoelaces said:
I realize the Selma isn't available yet, but it's basically a Mamasita with an EBB so wondering if any Mammasita head's have ridden Ventana's for comparison sake.
Have not ridden the Commandante, but have a vintage Toro for comparison. The Ventana is a STIFF bike and is a great race machine. Would I want to ride it over 50 miles on rough terrain??? Most likely not. Have never really been a big fan of Salsa stuff, but recently (over the past several years) they are really putting out some great cycling frames and gear.

Tyrone Shoelaces said:
The Selma / Commander would be used for a lot of SS-specific XC racing...both regular distance XC events, maybe an 8 hour, and definitely a 100-miler.
Race specific - Ventana
Endurance - Salsa

Tyrone Shoelaces said:
The Selma is really calling me with the sweet flattened carbon seat stays and flattened chain stays. But the Scandium front has me a little worried about longevity. The Ventana is calling me because a) it's hand-built in the USA near my hometown and b) seems as though it woudl be a bit burlier and possibly longer lasting....but it also seems like it might offer a rougher ride overall being all aluminum as compared to the Selma.

Hmm..decisions...decisions...

Any thoughts?

Go.
Salsa will stand behind their product 100% and if there are any issues you will be taken care of.
Ventana has good CS, but if the frame is older than 3 years I think then expect to pay significantly more for a replacement.

·
Ultra Ventanaphile
3,346 Posts
crux said:
Ventana has good CS, but if the frame is older than 3 years I think then expect to pay significantly more for a replacement.
Ventana's have a two year warranty. After that they offer a trade in offer of 30% off a new frame (regardless of which frame it is). However, They can Also REPAIR a frame for very reasonable costs.

-Aaron

·
more skier than biker
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
just to put a capper on this.....canceled my order on the Selma and went with the Ventana El Comandante. Had the chance to ride one a little bit recently and i just felt perfectly at home on it. Plus supporting a local company that makes their frames here in the States was a big factor for me too. Final build should be done in a few weeks. Stoked!

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,287 Posts
Tyrone Shoelaces said:
just to put a capper on this.....canceled my order on the Selma and went with the Ventana El Comandante. Had the chance to ride one a little bit recently and i just felt perfectly at home on it. Plus supporting a local company that makes their frames here in the States was a big factor for me too. Final build should be done in a few weeks. Stoked!
i think that was a good call! Salsa is a good company with great peeps involved with the company but Ventana is the bomb for sure

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.