Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Slow and steady
503 Posts
Very similar bike overall to the El Rey. The El Capitan is a little bit heavier and has more standover clearance. IIRC, there is no geometry difference. So you can also read up on the El Rey to figure out if you're likely to like the El Cap.

·
change is good
Switchblade with a 38, 29+ rigid WaltWorks
4,019 Posts
I like my El Cap so much, I bought a El Rey.Both shine in XC and trail applications. I had a DUC on the front of my El Cap and I didn't like the way it affected the steering. I have a WB 100 on the front now and may put the new Reba on eventually. My El Cap is more AM even with 4in of travel. My El Rey has a lighter build and a Fox on the front. I can adjust the platform front and rear according to trail and motivation. Customer service from Ventana is top notch. You can always call Sherwood and discuss your needs and expectations.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
wilks, that bike is the greatest thing ever. How's the white brothers fork? Better than the manitou? Youre el capitian just became my background. Thanks for the pics!!

·
Registered
3,416 Posts
Fred - it is actually Yellow trail in Ringwood / Ramapo NJ - very similar to lots of the rockier trails in New England - almost as techy as Lynn woods.

1971tch the WB fork is very nice - (it's a fluid) I like the through axle and the damping a lot. Better than the Reba I had before it. But the Reba was 100m and QR so not a fair comparison. The 120mm Reba coming out with thru axle will definitely be good. FWIW I am not a fan of the manipoo 29er fork. Don't get bogged down by the weight of the frame either and the extra standover is nice too!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just checked the price of the wb fluid on their website. $870. Does anyone know when the reba thru-axle will come out. I think I've definately decided on the el capitian but this is going to go way over my agreed on budget. I'll probaly go ahead and order the frame soon it might just take a little longer to finish the build

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I just checked the price of the wb fluid on their website. $870. Does anyone know when the reba thru-axle will come out. I think I've definately decided on the el capitian but this is going to go way over my agreed on budget. I'll probaly go ahead and order the frame soon it might just take a little longer to finish the build

·
change is good
Switchblade with a 38, 29+ rigid WaltWorks
4,019 Posts
late july to august

1971tch said:
is the word on the street. Should be able to find more info with a search. I have a Magic which I will probaly convert to a Fluid but may just get the new Reba. Less maintenence and good performance if it's anything like my old Pike Air.

·
T , V , & K Rider
2,342 Posts
Here's an old picture of my 06 Capitan............I'm planning on doing a few changes to it this summer if I keep it ! For one the old Reba will be replaced with the new coming Reba w adjustable travel and 20 mm TA ( maxle light ) and upgrading the wheels of course bcuz for one reason the front wheel will need a 20mm TA hub ! I'm quite happy with the 4" rockers to be honest but never tried it w 5" rockers or feel the need to ! TIG.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Ventana El Capitan

I've been on my El Capitan for about a year and a half and really like the performance. The frame feels solid and tracks well going both up and down. In fact, I rarely use the lockout on my RP23 shock, because as long as I keep a steady pedaling cadence, the rear end doesn't wallow or bob.

If I were to be critical, I'd say that the headtube and seat-tube angles are too steep, by about a degree. With a WB 130 Fluid on the front, I still feel like my position is too far forward. Part of that is due to the length of the headtube as well. Sherwood is, admittedly, a short guy and I don't think he appreciates that the seat to handlebar drop on the larger frame sizes is so dramatic. To be fair, there's not another manufacturer, save Turner, that really gets this. Also, seat to bar drop is a matter of personal preference and even though I talked to Sherwood about this during the design of my frame, it was ultimately my decision to go with a 4.5 inch headtube instead of 5.5. (Take a look at the Ventana forum on this site, quite a few bikes feature gratuitous use of spacers - a personal bugaboo.)

One of the long conversations that I had with Sherwood during the design phase was chainstay length. Sherwood is of the opinion that long chainstays aren't necessarily a bad thing. After a year and half, I agree in part. Living in Virginia I ride nothing but tight, twisty singletrack and have never had an issue navigating with the long stays and overall wheelbase. That being said, I find the bike a little difficult to manual. (Back in day, when I was riding 26ers exclusively, I was a manualing fiend.) The benefit of all that length of course is stability on downhills. Even with the four inch rockers, I never feel like I need more travel and generally push it harder and faster than I did my Nomad, the bike the El Cap replaced.

The short of it:

Positives:

Contruction quality - attention to detail
No frame flex
Sealed cartridge bearings
Solid main pivot
Supple suspension
Stability at speed
Low stand over
Ability to go custom or semi-custom
Outstanding customer service

Negatives:

HT and ST angles
HT length
Upcharge for RP23
Chainstay length

Attachments

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
nice bike, its early in the morning and i was reading your post. I was planning on calling ventana later and checking on semi-custom geometry but that might be a little to pricey since i want the shock upgrade and the 5" rockers. I have very long arms and would like a 26" inch tt but a 33" standover is pushing it with a 34" inch inseam. Frankly this frame and fork setup has so many options its giving me a headache.

·
Registered
11,774 Posts
TIGMAN said:
Here's an old picture of my 06 Capitan............I'm planning on doing a few changes to it this summer if I keep it ! For one the old Reba will be replaced with the new coming Reba w adjustable travel and 20 mm TA ( maxle light ) and upgrading the wheels of course bcuz for one reason the front wheel will need a 20mm TA hub ! I'm quite happy with the 4" rockers to be honest but never tried it w 5" rockers or feel the need to ! TIG.
One thing i have noticed with my el rey is that going from a reba with a 38mm offset to a WB with a 44mm offset made the bike handle so much better. That new reba should be something.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
OK guys, I have to do this, I've been saving for the perect bike for about 2 years. The first time I saw the perfect bike was a few days ago. I've been riding since 1989 when I was in the Army and I bought a Used Nischki for 400 dollars. Within 2 months of that purchase I also bought a 1972 Karmann Ghia for 600 bucks. Volkswagon for those of you who don't know. I will get a ventana el capitan as son as my situation permits. It's my dream bike. Ya'll seem to have more money than GOD. I've talked to my girlfriend and the final budget is 3500. 1000 more than the original I worked at a bike shop for a couple of years, I know about the discounts. I dont know why I'm even writing this, I'm 6 months away frow my dream bike. Please consider cost into suggestions. I dont own Texas or even part of Oklahoma.

·
Registered
3,416 Posts
good luck with the purchase - if you want all new I suggest trying [email protected] - he runs an LBS in MT - is a top bloke and as cheap as they get. He has supplied me with several build kits plus he is ventana dealer. As far as bang for the buck I would go XT or X9 level parts, stans flow rims and Hope Pro II hubs. I would also get the 120mm Reba with 20mm thru axle (maxle) as that will be cheaper than a WB fork. Either give him a parts list or your budget - he'll work you a deal. You can always look in the classifieds here and on ebay too - I have seen El Cap frames go for less than a $1,000.00.

·
Map Maker
1,244 Posts
1971tch said:
OK guys, I have to do this, I've been saving for the perect bike for about 2 years. The first time I saw the perfect bike was a few days ago. I've been riding since 1989 when I was in the Army and I bought a Used Nischki for 400 dollars. Within 2 months of that purchase I also bought a 1972 Karmann Ghia for 600 bucks. Volkswagon for those of you who don't know. I will get a ventana el capitan as son as my situation permits. It's my dream bike. Ya'll seem to have more money than GOD. I've talked to my girlfriend and the final budget is 3500. 1000 more than the original I worked at a bike shop for a couple of years, I know about the discounts. I dont know why I'm even writing this, I'm 6 months away frow my dream bike. Please consider cost into suggestions. I dont own Texas or even part of Oklahoma.
Check with Larry at moutnain high cyclery - I live in Richmond ,VA and he is my local bike shop all the way out in Ft. Collins, CO

worst website , BEST customer service. I think he sells more Ventanas than most others combined, he can get you a GREAT price on a frame and EVEN BETTER prices on forks and components
http://www.mtnhighcyclery.com/indexpage.htm

call him you won't belive how great his deals are.

·
Registered
319 Posts
have ridden one....

I spent about a week with an el cap, but I went with the El Rey. This was from a trip to sedona on the El Capitan. I loved every part of that bike, but when it came down to aesthetics and what was in stock, I just went with the El Rey.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.