Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Powered by ice cream.
6,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got clearance on my medium frame...barely:

Adds 12mm to the A-C (not necessarily bad).
With the Reba at 100, the HTA is 70.5 and the STA is 73.

Amazingly, the race seems to interact fine despite being designed for a King headset. Works smoothly, but long term durability is unknown

I just hope I don't crack the headtube off this thing and end up on my face. A-C total is now 520mm, probably sags to 495mm when riding.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Sorry, I probably being a bit thick, but...

What exactly have you done there?
I've got an On-one Superlight on my SIR niner and the steering is a little fast sometimes, so I've been looking into doing something similar on my bike. I asume you've got some sort of aftermarket crwon race that is fairly large that was built for a King headset that you've put on a cane creek headset that is quite large itself, is that right?
J

·
Powered by ice cream.
6,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
burner said:
has it screwed up climbing in the steeps?
How would I know, I don't ride them, just build them. Ask Fo. He's the hardcore rider here.

Seriously though, I have not ridden it yet. If it sucks, I can reduce the fork travel. I did have to lower the bars 1/2 inch.

foshizzle said:
who cares? it clears now
Precisely!

John Jencks said:
What exactly have you done there?
Ventana makes a lower race for king headsets that comes in 4 and 7mm lengths. Cane Creek also makes a headset with a 5mm longer lower cup
to address the same issue. The clearance on the cheapo Zion frame is so bad I needed both solutions (12mm) to fit the fork.

MMcG said:
Interesting that the crown race works with the Cane Creek headset.
TR turned me on to it. Leave it to an Aussie. In my test fitting, the King race will work with a Cane Creek headset, but the opposite is not true. The King HS needs the King race.

·
Angry bunny
4,948 Posts
MMcG said:
Interesting that the crown race works with the Cane Creek headset.
From what I understand there are only so many different bearings suited for headsets and the shape of these bearings are what actually dictates the shape of the crown race needed.
I guess that means that many of the crown races will work with other headsets.
I do know that an FSA race wont work with a King headset and now Enel tells me that a Cane Creek wont work with a King either.

On the steering, I would wonder if it will have that much of an effect. I dont have my camera here so I cannot take a picture but looking at both my El Comandante and my Zion side by side, I can see that the headtube on the EC extends much further below the downtube junction than the Zion's.
This would seem to me to result in basically the same outcome as I have achieved by using the S3+5 with its larger lower cup. I would be interested in whether this situation is similar on your smaller frame too Enel.

·
Angry bunny
4,948 Posts
mantrap said:
Why can't Ventana make the frame work with the most popular fork used. It seems kind of lame to spend that kind of money on a frame and then have to cobble some thing together to make the fork work right.
Ummmmmm, I think you need to read the thread again.
It is Zion who has the problem.
Ventana's work fine with Reba's from my experience. Ventana designed the taller race for other bikes that do not clear (like the Zion).
It is "kind of lame" but there are far more expensive frames out there on the market than the $250 Zion that have this clearance issue.

·
Powered by ice cream.
6,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
mantrap said:
Sorry, my mistake so Ventana do work?
Yes. Sherwood designed this race as a favor to the rest of the 29"er world who do not read the Rockshox diagrams. Apparently it is an issue with a few 26" designs as well.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
is it just me

or does this seem almost like a fork issue? i've been following all the threads and have decided the following:

Why the hell did rock shox design a fork that would work with 90% of the frames out there? To force an aftermarket for adapters. Seems like they should just redesign the button to be flatter, or maybe as a switch. Just seems odd to me.

·
Registered
68 Posts
it is not just cheap 29rs ,we have ran into this problem on a 19" ventana el cap, as well as a comandante, with the reba forks as wellas the maverick sc forks
sherwood does put a lot of thought in his frames and we are hoping this was just an early problem,we had to use his king 7mm crowns to take care of this issue ,the cheaper 29rs such as surly,niner,soma,haro are great and have no issues as far as we have experienced

·
Angry bunny
4,948 Posts
MAVERICKHOSS said:
it is not just cheap 29rs ,we have ran into this problem on a 19" ventana el cap, as well as a comandante, with the reba forks as wellas the maverick sc forks
sherwood does put a lot of thought in his frames and we are hoping this was just an early problem,we had to use his king 7mm crowns to take care of this issue ,the cheaper 29rs such as surly,niner,soma,haro are great and have no issues as far as we have experienced
Interesting.
You're the first person I have seen who has mentioned a problem.
I have not heard of a problem via Shannon at MTBPrecision who is the Aussie importer either.
I had a 20" and a 22" El Comandante and had no such problem on either one.

·
Registered
3,416 Posts
dompedro3 said:
or does this seem almost like a fork issue? i've been following all the threads and have decided the following:

Why the hell did rock shox design a fork that would work with 90% of the frames out there? To force an aftermarket for adapters. Seems like they should just redesign the button to be flatter, or maybe as a switch. Just seems odd to me.
I believe the Reba 29er fork was out before the Zion 29er frame - I think it is lame that some frame designers can't be ar$ed to make a frame that fits the most popular 29er fork on the market - this is why I bought a Rook instead of a Zion.

·
Registered
3,416 Posts
TR said:
I had a 20" and a 22" El Comandante and had no such problem on either one.
You are obviously a tallish bloke riding 20" and 22" frames - the fork clearance issues are worse for smaller sized frames - for example people putting Zoke 66 forks on bikes like Medium Turner RFX's get a Vetana +7 race for clearance but riders on XL's don't.

·