Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to purchase a set of XC disc wheels, rims <400g, total set 1500g about. I was thinking of Stan's Olympic ZTR's or Mavic 517's with Hugi 240s or WTB Laser Lites, which sounds expensive! Then I saw www.spinlitecycling.com selling Velocity brand wheels at much less.

The hubs are $54 / $85, weight comparable to XTR. Wheels built with Velocity hubs, Mavic 517's and Sapim Laser 14/17 spokes come in at 1518g - pretty good! - and are super cheap at $271.00.

I know the golden rule ... you only get 2 out of 3 on bike parts (quality / cheap / light), but I'm hoping ...

Anybody have experience with Velocity products? You input is much appreciated!

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
I do not see that those wheels use disc brake hubs. The only Velocity hubs on the site a not disc. The Lazer spokes and X517 rims are also not good choices for disc wheels.

·
No good in rock gardens..
4,439 Posts
Velocity

The Aero Heat rim is 440 grams, and from memory not eyeletted. A friend had a purple set (yes, purple) on his GT hardtail. I have a set of K525 rims on my Klein Pinnacle, these rims are sadly no longer made. They were 22mm wide with a V section and not eyeletted. They were 385 grams and plenty strong enough for XC.

http://www.velocitywheels.com/MTB_rims.htm

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
shiggy said:
I do not see that those wheels use disc brake hubs. The only Velocity hubs on the site a not disc. The Lazer spokes and X517 rims are also not good choices for disc wheels.
Thanks for your reply, Shiggy. I was actually considering getting SpinLite to swap the hubs (there is disc version on their hubs page). What makes the X517 rim and Lazer spokes a poor choice for disc braking? (I ride disc for wet conditions, long descents and because my frame only has disc posts, not because I'm doing big drops)

CanuckXC.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Canuckxc said:
Thanks for your reply, Shiggy. I was actually considering getting SpinLite to swap the hubs (there is disc version on their hubs page). What makes the X517 rim and Lazer spokes a poor choice for disc braking? (I ride disc for wet conditions, long descents and because my frame only has disc posts, not because I'm doing big drops)

CanuckXC.
I see the disc version now. They WILL be heavier (~150?).

The X517 was notorious for cracking at the eyelets even with rim brakes. Discs add to the stress.

Lasers (same dimensions as the DT Revolutions) are just too thin/light/elastic for disc wheels under most riders. Few custom builders will use them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.