Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen a few threads about the P35 rims with lots of discussion about build-ups and tubeless options, but there are few actual rider reviews. I'd love to hear from from those of you out there with serious ride time, and maybe if there's enough response this could work as a go-to thread. Thanks ahead for all replies.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I changed a lot on mine when I switched my rim from a blunt to p35 so lots of factors but it does seem quite stiff and solid without being much heavier at all.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I could not be happier with mine. 270 lb rider, I am running Nevegals on them, tubeless with the blue velocity strips. I only have a couple rides on them since going tubeless.

In about 200 miles I have had them checked by the shop I bought them from once, they are still true, and I have ridden some pretty gnarly trails, hit some roots hard, curbs, taken jumps, etc. The wider footprint of them makes a big difference.

·
Registered
334 Posts
bluestatevirgin said:
I've seen a few threads about the P35 rims with lots of discussion about build-ups and tubeless options, but there are few actual rider reviews. I'd love to hear from from those of you out there with serious ride time, and maybe if there's enough response this could work as a go-to thread. Thanks ahead for all replies.
I rode about 2.000 km with p35 and they do very well. Even rough trails with my rigid 29er are no problem. I put 2,4" Maxxis Ardent on them - very low pressure possible (1,2 bar front/1,5 bar rear). No flats til now.

·
WNC Native
3,905 Posts
Man that's a sweet Big Mama!

I'm looking at having myself a P35 wheelset built for my next bike too!

·
Big Wheel Homer !!
1,752 Posts
Any more updated reviews on this rim? I've started thinking about a new wheelset and I'm not sure to step away from Flow's.

·
trail "cleaner"
1,382 Posts
recently swapped from Flows to P35s

While the weight between the two wheelsets are basically the same... The things I've noticed so far is...
A. There is a whole lot more traction with the P35s. The footprint is enormous and you can run a few less psi in your tires.. Currently running 25 psi front WTB Weirwolf 2.55LT and rear 26-28 psi Maxxis Ardent 2.25. :thumbsup:
B. Wheelset is quite stiff, no flex felt in any of the AZ chunk. Laced with DT swiss super comps. :thumbsup:
C. Converted to tubeless very easily using Gorilla tape and Stan's tubeless valve stems. :thumbsup:
D. I have noticed that with the larger footprint, the rolling resistance kicked up a bit while spinning the road to and from the mountain. :bluefrown: (Not a big deal though... I'll take the extra traction on the trail any day!)

Attachments

·
Registered
434 Posts
thanks, going over now to get it....

did you apply the tape, then inflate a tube and tire and let sit overnight to get the tape to seal?

·
trail "cleaner"
1,382 Posts
nope...

doco said:
thanks, going over now to get it....

did you apply the tape, then inflate a tube and tire and let sit overnight to get the tape to seal?
Just cleaned the rim with Isopropyl alcohol. Using my wheel truing stand, applied the tape while stretching it some and really pushed hard to clear any air bubbles and get a solid adhesion between the tape and rim. Cut a small x where the valve stem goes and pushed through the Stans valve stem. installed the tires and some of my homemade sealant; aired them up... good to go!

·
Registered
434 Posts
man, thanks I appreciate it...I was going to ask if the Stan's valve stem will work..

looking forward to riding the p35's tubeless...love them now

·
trail "cleaner"
1,382 Posts
one last nugget.....

doco said:
man, thanks I appreciate it...I was going to ask if the Stan's valve stem will work..

looking forward to riding the p35's tubeless...love them now
here is the last tip... I opened up the first hole of the rim where the valve stem goes through via a drill and a slightly larger drill bit to allow the Stans valve stem to seat further into the rim. Make sure you don't drill through into the 2nd hole though!;)

·
Registered
858 Posts
97mach1 said:
I could not be happier with mine. 270 lb rider, I am running Nevegals on them, tubeless with the blue velocity strips. I only have a couple rides on them since going tubeless.

In about 200 miles I have had them checked by the shop I bought them from once, they are still true, and I have ridden some pretty gnarly trails, hit some roots hard, curbs, taken jumps, etc. The wider footprint of them makes a big difference.
Any update on the tubeless setup with the Velocity strips?

·
Off the back...
2,292 Posts
Is it enough to say that the P-35 kicks a great deal of ass? For some reviews, yes it is. However, this is a different type of review - a review that delves into the heart of a rim, looks into the soul of the hoop to truly understand... What makes it so good? Is it the width, the x-treem wide-i-tude? Yes. It makes everything better. So much traction, it makes you want to squint.

·
trail "cleaner"
1,382 Posts
Be careful.....

After a few months of use in our AZ chunk I've found that these rims tend to dent along the bead area. It could be due to the lower tire pressure these beg to be ran at (Maxxis 2.25 Ardent running @25psi tubeless). I was able to easily straiten the dents with a pair of pliers when installing a new tire (which tells me the Al compound is fairly soft). I guess I'll need to bump up the pressure a few psi on this tire and see how the rim behaves this time around.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts