Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Schipperkes are cool.
4,170 Posts
Velocity rims are 'soft'. Found that back in 2000 with the first set of Dyads off road on my drop bar Rock Lobster "monstercross".

·
Registered
3 Posts
Looks more like operator error!
I would say you needed more air or more tire or both. Any rim will end up looking like that without enough air pressure for the job.
I've hammered my set of P-35's a ton of miles over sharp rocks and roots and they are dent free and true.

·
Negative Rep Points!!!!
4,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
rugged34 said:
Looks more like operator error!
I would say you needed more air or more tire or both. Any rim will end up looking like that without enough air pressure for the job.
I've hammered my set of P-35's a ton of miles over sharp rocks and roots and they are dent free and true.
You have a point.

I've been running either Flows, or Gordos on all of my 29ers for years, now. Ardent 2.4's are my all around favorite, and I've had great luck with them, tubeless.

On my Sultan..I've been beating the crap out of Gordos and tubed Ardent 2.4's.

On my Hound, I run Flows with an Ardent 2.4 rear and a Bonty FR-3 front. Both ends, tubeless.

Tire pressures are a personal preference, terrain specific, subjective call. And, through trial and error... I've found what seems to work well for me.

When I tried running those same pressures with this P35 rim, it was obvious that I was going to snuff this thing quickly, if I if I didn't run 2 -3 pound more air.

So, after resorting to that...I found that I was getting less performance as far as traction goes over the Flows, and paying a weight penalty to boot. I noticed it in braking situations more than anything.

Maybe I need to work on picking smoother lines?

·
Powered by ice cream.
6,359 Posts
Aquaholic said:
I noticed it in braking situations more than anything.

Maybe I need to work on picking smoother lines?
Ya think?

I am finding that low pressures and rigid riding are simply very hard on rims. I want the lower pressures for the comfort, traction, and "suspension" if you will, but there is nothing in reserve to absorb a mistake.

I have started to simply go back to higher pressures and deal with the discomfort and loss of traction.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Enel said:
Ya think?
I am finding that low pressures and rigid riding are simply very hard on rims. I want the lower pressures for the comfort, traction, and "suspension" if you will, but there is nothing in reserve to absorb a mistake.

I have started to simply go back to higher pressures and deal with the discomfort and loss of traction.
Where is that exactly? It looks like a really fun place to ride. Especially if there are uphills like those downhills. Or you can reverse direction.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
The Gordos are tough. I have not had too many issues with them, other than the weight. But I rarely have to think about them. I run fully rigid Ardent 2.4s with 21psi rear and 18-20 front. I've bent and or dented other rims, but not the gordos.

·
trail "cleaner"
1,382 Posts
similar results.....

Agree that the P35's bend rather easy... It's noted in this thread as well.
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=639123

I love all the ++'s though. Super wide footprint = better traction, Tubeless capability. Just can't run the really low pressures in the back in our AZ chunk. I'm having good luck so far on the front with 23-25 PSI with a WW LT 2.55.

·
the mountian is within
543 Posts
I run a front-have for a year. No troubles-i am about 250lb-almost 300 with a backpack. But a customer a good 60lbs lighter got a small dent in his....it is style of riding. I run 20psi he has to run almost 30lb to not pinch the same tire/tube/rim combo. Faster? About the same....smoother? Think silk for me and corduroy for him-LOL

·
Negative Rep Points!!!!
4,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Enel said:
That thing is so clean it must never get ridden...
How much for the Ti in the background?
That's why I ride on rocks...no mud.

I probably should sell the Ti bike... it's just collecting dust.

I can see the ad, now "Titanium Pretzel bike...ridden gently, by an old codger".

·
Dinner for wolves
1,567 Posts
Aquaholic said:
Weight = Good.

Width = Good.

Price = Good.

Tubeless Compatibility =Good.

Riding on Rocks = No good.
Heyyyyyy, I have a rim that looks JUST LIKE THAT! Only it isn't attached to a King hub. Same dent, though. In defense of the P35, it isn't the first rim I have dinged. But mine got dinged on an uphill grind last fall. I struck a hidden rock that sent me OTB. I wasn't going fast, but I did end up weighting the front wheel with my groin as I pivoted earthward. Although any rim could have dinged like this, I have to wonder how a rim can be uber wide, lightweight (relatively speaking), and still be dent resistant. You can't have it all.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.