Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Front Range Cyclist
944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking of building a set of wheels with these rims just to see what it'd be like to have 35mm wide rims plus have some beater wheels on the side...can't ride the EDGE wheels every day or I'll get spoiled :)

·
Front Range Cyclist
944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also thinking of using them for snow riding....if anyone has experience with tire selection and how these perform over normal rims in snow as well as even a comparison to the Large Marge for snow (I know big difference I'm sure...but curious)

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,254 Posts
As for performance with tires, just search the Gordo threads. Same width rim and will give you a good feel for what folks think of that width.

Personally I think it spreads out a Racing Ralph 2.4 to a nice wide width, gives a big foot print, and with the Ralph's supple sidewalls the tires produce decent results in snow.

I just recieved a set of Velocity P-35 wheels built up by Velocity on their hubs. Single speed specific with a 20mm through axle front. In the 2200 gram range for the set. I won't be getting these out for a bit yet until I get my rotors, tires, and the fork travel changed on a Reba to 100mm. So no ride reports from me yet. However; I have a contributor in Europe that's been on them for several months now and is really liking them so far.

·
Front Range Cyclist
944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sweet thanks GT. Oddly enough that's the setup I'm interested in. Thanks. BTW need to get you out this way for the show in March.

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
I am also very interested. Specifically for groomed snow racing and over the odd fresh dump. Light, and about as wide as will fit with a racing hardtail...seems promising?

·
Registered
254 Posts
Call Velocity and talk to Jeff. He's VERY knowledged on these and can direct you the way to go.

The way he discussed with me was to go with teh Blunts for XC style stuff. They can be changed to Tubeless in case you compete. The P35s are more for All Mountain styled stuff and are wider. I think he stated the Blunts were 28mm wide and the P35s were 35mm wide...

I am going with the Blunts for the chance to possibly go tubeless with them...

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,254 Posts
Dirt Dude said:
Call Velocity and talk to Jeff. He's VERY knowledged on these and can direct you the way to go.

The way he discussed with me was to go with teh Blunts for XC style stuff. They can be changed to Tubeless in case you compete. The P35s are more for All Mountain styled stuff and are wider. I think he stated the Blunts were 28mm wide and the P35s were 35mm wide...

I am going with the Blunts for the chance to possibly go tubeless with them...
Go with a Bontrager Rhythm tubeless rim strip in your Blunts. It snaps right in like it was made for the Blunt and setting up your tires tubeless will be really easy. Make sure you align the valve holes upon installation though, if you go this route.

I have Blunts set up this way and they have been flawless using Bontrager XR TLR tires on them.

The P-35's require a Stans strip, but Velocity is working on a strip of their own design. I have images up of the wheels I have here:
http://g-tedproductions.blogspot.com/2010/01/backlog-of-stuff.html

·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts
Vermont29er said:
It appears that these rims don't have spoke eyelets. Could that be a problem?
It's true, they aren't eyeletted, but I've built and ridden non-eyeletted Velocity rims in the past without trouble, and I think Velocity's reputation stands behind their choice.

Admittedly, I'd rather have eyelets if given the option, but it didn't stop me from buying this rim.

·
Gigantic Hawk
1,763 Posts
Speedub.Nate said:
It's true, they aren't eyeletted, but I've built and ridden non-eyeletted Velocity rims in the past without trouble, and I think Velocity's reputation stands behind their choice.

Admittedly, I'd rather have eyelets if given the option, but it didn't stop me from buying this rim.
How long have you had them? I'm curious to how they hold up to drops. My old Velocity 26" Aeroheats could take some serious abuse. I'm hoping that these can take the same.

·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts
dubthang said:
How long have you had them? I'm curious to how they hold up to drops. My old Velocity 26" Aeroheats could take some serious abuse. I'm hoping that these can take the same.
Know what? I misspoke. I built one non-eyeletted Aeroheat into a front wheel, that went from Joshua to NRS to Hollowpoint over about a 5 year span. I never had an issue with it. But I'm not a huckster -- this was all XC with at most some 2' drops.

I built a set of VXCs which I thought were without eyelets (no, they've got 'em), and did get a little more adventurous with that bike, but those were the wrong rims for the job and, anyhow, aren't applicable to this thread...

Anyhow, my new 29" P35 built up just fine, but I haven't ridden it yet. It'll be mostly pavement / jogging trail type use, but under the increased loads of a cargo bike.

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,254 Posts
I'm hoping to get the P-35's I have out soon, but Velocity's choice not to use eyelets has never been an issue with any wheel I have built using Velocity rims going back to 1994.

I've built several Dyads into tandem wheels, all which have been running fine for customers of the shop where I work. I think the beefed up spoke bed area that Velocity uses works fine.

You know, eyelets are no guarantee of having no spoke hole failures, or broken spokes. I've seen lots of eyeleted rims fail at the spoke holes. ;)

·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts
Guitar Ted said:
... eyelets are no guarantee of having no spoke hole failures ... I've seen lots of eyeleted rims fail at the spoke holes.
Good point.

Though I'd be very interested to know Velocity's rationale behind when to use eyelets on a given design.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Which size of Stan's Rim Strip do you use? I see sizes for 27-34mm and 36-39mm but not one which covers 35mm.

·
Trail Tire TV on blogger
4,237 Posts
nolan17 said:
I used the Velocity Veloplugs with a Stans valve, no strip needed. They mounted up tubless with a Conti Mountain King no problem.

In order to get the Veloplugs you have to order the rims as well.
really? with the blunts or the P35's? right now I'm running the blunts with the velo plugs (you can get them all over on the web by the way) wanted tubeless but hate the whole rim strip crap to convert. you got the plug to seal without something over them? would LOVE to get rid of the super heavy slime tubes!!! just don't see those plugs sealing..

And the MT Kings sealed up fine?

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.