Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Belltown Brazer
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,
I had a rear hub failure yesterday. At the base of a climb, I stood up and it felt like the wheel slipped in some mud. Upon closer inspection, it was apparent that the pedals could be rotated in the drive direction, and the wheel would not move. A hike home ensued.

Once I got home I disassembled the hub (the first time I have had the hub apart, and I must say a nice hub indeed). It appears to me that the splined body that the cassette slides onto is one piece with the section that holds the pawls. There couldn’t be slippage there. I think that the toothed ring that the pawls engage within the hub is slipping.

Is this fixable and if so, how do I do it? I could tack weld the toothed ring to the hub body, but that seems awful extreme.

Thanks for any direction.

Bob
East Hampton, CT

·
featherweight clydesdale
1,383 Posts
MDEnvEngr said:
All,
I had a rear hub failure yesterday. At the base of a climb, I stood up and it felt like the wheel slipped in some mud. Upon closer inspection, it was apparent that the pedals could be rotated in the drive direction, and the wheel would not move. A hike home ensued.

Once I got home I disassembled the hub (the first time I have had the hub apart, and I must say a nice hub indeed). It appears to me that the splined body that the cassette slides onto is one piece with the section that holds the pawls. There couldn't be slippage there. I think that the toothed ring that the pawls engage within the hub is slipping.

Is this fixable and if so, how do I do it? I could tack weld the toothed ring to the hub body, but that seems awful extreme.

Thanks for any direction.

Bob
East Hampton, CT
Instead of calling out the rim which has nothing to do with the failure, it might help to say what kind of HUB you are using.

·
Belltown Brazer
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea, I'm pretty sure...

the rim had nothing to do with the failure. However, as the hubs don't have their own identifier, I had to go with the only thing that does. The hub is the standard Velocity sealed bearing hub that is common to the cliff hanger, heater, deep V, fusion, nuvian and spartacus wheelsets.

As the hub is intregal to the wheel, and the wheelset is identified as Dyad, that's what I went with.

It would have been more precise had I said the standard sealed bearing hub that is stock on the Velocity Dyad wheelset. I didn't consider the fact that there are plenty of people running Velocity Dyad rims on other-than-OEM hubs.

But thanks for your input.

Bob

·
Bored
1,982 Posts
take a picture and post it.

THinking of a few different hub internals that could match up. Could you post an image of the hub apart and let the suggestions begin?

·
Belltown Brazer
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So here's what happened...

The toothed ring that the pawls engage upon is threaded into the alloy hub body. I had stripped the threads in the hub body, thereby allowing the toothed ring to spin within the hub body.

I emailed Velocity USA and asked them if there was anything I could do. A fella named Doug called me back, asked me a few questions and told me to send the wheel to him at Velocity USA. He said he would take a look at it, and do whatever he could.

Last Thursday, a brand new wheel arrived. Yippee! The rim on the one I sent out had a couple of good hops in it, so it was ready to be replaced. So, for the inconvenience of a missing wheel for two weeks, I scored a whole new wheel. A great deal by my standards.

So here's to Velocity's customer service!

B

1 - 5 of 5 Posts