Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am looking at a few wheel sets on ebay, and i wanted to get opinions on both. i am replacing the original wheels that came with my old monocog. the monocog slowly morphed into a jabberwocky, and the wheels are all that remains. they are stiff and strong, but heavy as hell. unfortunatly i only have about 200 to spend, so i know my options are limited. thanks for any input.

·
Registered
115 Posts
My opinion isn't very time tested but I can tell you what I know. I bought a set of Velocity Blunts last week for my 1st 29er build. I never weighed them so I can't tell you exactly what the weight is. They're lighter than a lot of wheels but not the lightest I've ever felt. Out of the box I was a little dissappointed with the trueness. Nothing major, but definitely not "ready to go" out of the box. The rear wheel especially had spoke tension that was all over the place. I trued them up and have taken a few rides on them. After my next ride I'll take them off and check trueness again. As far as feel goes I have no issue so far. Wheels feel laterally stiff, and nothing has buckled yet. I'll update my review after I check them again.

As of right now if I had to do it again I would probably try the Maddux Explorer Pros from Pricepoint.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
bikerfish said:
As of right now if I had to do it again I would probably try the Maddux Explorer Pros from Pricepoint.
i feel like i would destroy those wheels. i should mention that i weigh about 220 in my birthday suit + clothes, gear and water i am probably 235. these are also for my rigid single speed.

·
Single Speeder
237 Posts
i have em on my Jabber

I'm about the same weight as you. I bought em after searching for a wheel that was somewhat light, relatively strong, and still cheap. I'm pleased with them for the most part. I got mine of e-bay with the XT hubs, not sure of the type of spokes. I've had some minor trouble with my rear wheel. It's slightly out of true and the rear hub is now loose. I've crashed it about three times, they were pretty light crashes. I'm thinking once I retighten the rear hub and true them up they'll be good for a long time. They look great and the build quality seems pretty good. Changing tires was very easy. I'm gonna try and true the rear up and tighten the hub tomorrow. I am jumping the bike and bunny hoping logs also so they are holding up okay considering what I've done to them. One last thing... if you do get them take off those stickers with a hair dryer unless you get the cool new stickers ^_^

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
Get something built up with Rynolites or WTB DD FRs for that price range. IME, Blunts build up like sh!t and are flexy. YMMV.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for all the input. i thought that i had heard not so great thinkgs about the blunts.

ept2008: which wheels are you refering to?

·
Always Learning
9,607 Posts
Captain_America1976 said:
thanks for all the input. i thought that i had heard not so great thinkgs about the blunts.

ept2008: which wheels are you refering to?
They may not be the rim of choice for some riders, but for many others they are quite good.

BB

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
the blunts have been sold, so that's not an issue anymore. the mavics with the formula hubs seem to be the leaders for now. there are a few others on ebay that look interesting.
by this time tomorrow, i should have the wheels orderd.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts