Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow, Blunts are terrificlly horrible rims. They are indeed light, but they are not cheap and flex more than a Thai hooker looking for an extra big tip. They no ruv you rong time.

I've really tried to find something positive about these rims but I can't. I'd rather run 36h Open Pros for the love of jeebus. With a TA fork and bolt on rear hub they impart a sensation of running tires 20psi too low. Turn your handlebars and wait a second for the wheel to follow. Then, wait for the ass-end to experience the same ill effects. It all results in general sloppiness and a never ending series of overcorrections to accomodate the rims' delayed response.

Blunts make Rynos appear Kris Holm's-esque by comparison. They come with obnoxious stickers that are a PITA to remove and subsequently gather dirt as their adhesive is difficult to remove (heat guns, Goo Gone, denatured alcohol all to no avail). If lateral/torsional deflection is a positive for you, these are your rims.

People will absolutely, positively, vehemently disagree but please note they are trolls and also most likely retarded. Also, they fail in general and have to wear hockey helmets just to walk around the house.:p

Bring it bishes! :thumbsup:

·
This place needs an enema
17,240 Posts
Soupboy said:
Wow, Blunts are terrificlly horrible rims. They are indeed light, but they are not cheap and flex more than a Thai hooker looking for an extra big tip.
Thanks for saving me a lotta typin'.

Agreed--not a great rim. Not even a very good rim.

Especially when comparing weight/cost/stiffness/durability.

MC

·
Registered
479 Posts
Soupboy said:
Wow, Blunts are terrificlly horrible rims. They are indeed light, but they are not cheap and flex more than a Thai hooker looking for an extra big tip. They no ruv you rong time.
Alrighty, I have no idea who you are so how much you weigh? (ie are you sasquatch-like or feather-weight)

You are almost starting to scare me with your passionate hate, I'm just too lazy to change wheelsets right now (I am riding Blunts w/ Racing Ralphs currently).

I don't know if the following factors are issues or non-issues...
Do spokes make that much of a difference (ie butted vs non-butted)?
What spoke tension did you build your wheels up with, and how much would spoke tension affect the perceived flexiness?

·
Witty McWitterson
5,023 Posts
Kinda hafta agree wit Soupmiester here. I'm not as vehemently anti blunt, but they're just not really doin' it for me. They're still on my bike 'cause I'm waiting on the new Salsa's.

·
Always Learning
9,608 Posts
Soupboy said:
Flex? We need to send you down a ski hill on a pair of American Classic wheels with a 2006 Dos Niner frame on some XC race tires. :D Now that's flex!

As the late great Uncle Sheldon always said: It must be emphasized that wheel stiffness is not wheel strength, and in fact may be unrelated to it.

I think it is important to point out what a rim may or may not be appropriate for in its end use. The Blunt is a light weight rim with a wider profile which I am finding to be perfect for XC riding and racing. Then again - I actually "want" some flex. That's right - I want a little flex. That being said, my 36 H Blunts with Sapim CX-Ray spokes don't flex enough for me compared to my other race wheels (American Classics and Delgado Discs with Supercomps). The AC's have the most lateral flex (outside of the Mavic SpeedCity's) that I own. Yet, the amount of flex is not enough to cause any loss of control issues or taco my wheel.

If the Blunt rim has too much lateral flex for your specific weight, riding, skill - then so be it. However, that doesn't mean it is a bad rim for other riders specific weight, riding, skill and intended use. Somebody that is way north of 200 pounds probably should not be riding a 22 - 24 pound bike with light wheels. For those riders, there are other rims available. Or if one's riding prescribes a need for stout equipment - then get stout equipment. But does that mean non-stout equipment "sucks" for all?

BB

·
nothing relevant to say
1,372 Posts
Bruce your comment about your AC wheels lead me to believe the tensions are too high.
Check out our tolerance and tension page to make sure your wheels are within our guidelines. We have found bringing the tensions too high make the wheel unstable, and give a sensation of additional flex.
http://www.amclassic.com/pdfs/Wheel_Specifications_Web.pdf

·
Always Learning
9,608 Posts
Cracked Headtube said:
Bruce your comment about your AC wheels lead me to believe the tensions are too high.
Check out our tolerance and tension page to make sure your wheels are within our guidelines. We have found bringing the tensions too high make the wheel unstable, and give a sensation of additional flex.
http://www.amclassic.com/pdfs/Wheel_Specifications_Web.pdf
Thanks. I guess I should get them checked out. Although I love the way the ride as they are...

BB

·
Appalachian Singletrack'n
1,444 Posts
I don’t understand why any anyone in their right mind would think a 480gm rim that’s 28mm wide is going to be anything but weak. Especially when 30gm of that weigh is in gaudy advertising.

·
This place needs an enema
17,240 Posts
Endomaniac said:
I don't understand why any anyone in their right mind would think a 480gm rim that's 28mm wide is going to be anything but weak. Especially when 30gm of that weigh is in gaudy advertising.
I think it's because that's how Velocity originally introduced it.

Funny thing is that at roughly that weight you *can* get a super stout rim. 450g for an Arch nets you a much stiffer (albeit narrower) and more durable rim. ~505g for a Flow nets the same width but much stiffer and more durable than the Blunt still. The Duster is similar in width and weight to the Blunt but much stiffer and more durable as well.

Bruce makes a great point that the Blunt is what it is--a wide XC rim. Agreed 100%. It's the fact that there's a misconception about what this rim can handle and what it was designed for that I have a problem with. I'd love to build them for the all people that are constantly requesting them, but I know that they'd be *very* disappointed down the road and that's not a good recipe for anyone involved.

MC

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
They are the best rims I have ever owned

Only thing that is retarded about them is that (1) they are from AUS and (2) door-to-door felch pump salesman soupboy does not have mad enough skillz to realize their true potential

·
MONKEYMAN
791 Posts
Natalie Portman said:
I just fondled myself.
Why do you do this to me?!

You put that sexy pic of NP for your avatar, your stats make me want to believe it's really you. Now this? Sheesh! cut a guy a break!

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Damn Soupy....you are using reverse psychology on me. I actually have a pair of the Blunts in the garage - new, and unused - laced to Pauls Word SS and Mav front hub with Dt. Competitions. I've been contemplating selling the whole friggin set-up along with the Mav fork. Now you got me wanting to ride them just so I can see what the hell you are talking about.

You suck. ;-)

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
Timo said:
Damn Soupy....you are using reverse psychology on me. I actually have a pair of the Blunts in the garage - new, and unused - laced to Pauls Word SS and Mav front hub with Dt. Competitions. I've been contemplating selling the whole friggin set-up along with the Mav fork. Now you got me wanting to ride them just so I can see what the hell you are talking about.

You suck. ;-)
dont listen to that b!tch...he is just jealous that some of us do not exceed the 280 lb weight limit

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.