Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
2,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the market for new tubeless rims for my older 27.5" bike. It is limited to 2.4" tires max and I'm thinking I'd like rims in the range of 25-28mm internal width. (currently I have 23mm internal) Such rims seem a bit thin on the ground but I've found a couple, the Velocity Bunt SS and Mavic EN427. I had one of the original Blunts (pre SS) years ago, and I recall that it dented pretty easily, as did the first version of the SS, reportedly, tho Velocity claims that the newer SS is tougher. And Mavic used to be the go to brand pre-tubeless but I'm not sure they haven't been left behind, clinging to their UST idea. Anyone running either of these rims or have a suggestion for other options? Should I just wait for Stans Crest/Arch to become available again? Must be available in 32-hole to match my trusty old White Industry hubs.

5,889 Posts
I'd look for something like the RaceFace ARC 27 or WTB i25 / i29 if I were you. The DT Swiss E512 would be a great option also.

Mavic shouldn't be on your radar, and while Velocity makes great rims they're more expensive than those listed above.

· Registered
233 Posts
I want polished rims for my new build, but I am afraid the velocity rims will not survive desert chunk on a hardtail. I have seen arches available from some of the wheelbuilders that put ads on pinkbike. might be worth checking them out.

· Registered
85 Posts
I want polished rims for my new build, but I am afraid the velocity rims will not survive desert chunk on a hardtail. I have seen arches available from some of the wheelbuilders that put ads on pinkbike. might be worth checking them out.
The velocities will do just fine. I ran them on my hardtail a few years back with no issues. They survived years on Hawes and Pass mountain. I was around 250lbs then

· This place needs an enema
17,703 Posts
I haven't seen anything to support the new Blunt SS being any different in terms of ease of denting.

Given the info you've shared thus far, I'd look at (for?) the RaceFace ARC 25 Offset.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.