Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
662 Posts
Funny that you posted this question. I just posted this review on my local mountain bike club web site and came around here to see what others had to say....

********************
Greetings.

I've been looking for an alternative to Salsa Delgado Disc rims for a while. I like the Delgados because they're wide, light and durable. Even 2.1" tires have a lot of volume to them when wrapped around the Delgado Disc rims.

There are some things I don't like about them though. They've gone up in price in the last 6 months.

My favorite tires seem to all be made by WTB and they fit quite loosely on the Delgado Disc rims. I haven't had to use tire levers since I bought the rims. Running low pressure on Exiwolf 2.3" tires is not advised for big guys like me... Not because I'll pinch flat them, but because the bead will unseat under side load.

Lastly, I absolutely hate the "Ride and Smile" stickers on the sides. I know... that is a silly thing to complain about.

I was asked if I'd like to try something new by a buddy who owns a bike shop. I ended up with a pair of Velocity Blunt rims. They are 1mm wider than the Salsa's, similar in weight (if not lighter) and significantly cheaper. They are rolled and pinned at the seam and have a black annodized finish with white stickers on them. They are disc-only, and have no accomodation of rim brakes.

I was a little skeptical because they do not have eyelets. That isn't a huge deal to me, but rims with eyelets do tend to build up a little better. Utimately I think rims with eyelets tend to be a little more durable. Since I haven't doinked a wheel in years, I figured I'm probalby a good candidate to give these things a try.

Build Up:

These wheels laced up perfectly. Whenever I build wheels with rims that don't have eyelets, it is a good idea to paint a dab of grease on the nipple seat (Insert off-color comment here) to help the build process. I use a hobby brush for that job. I used 14/15g DT spokes with DT alloy nipples.

You can tell a lot about a rim by how easily it builds and trues. The Velocity Blunts were almost perfect. There isn't a flat spot where the seam is. These things were very easy to get round and true. After releasing the spoke twist in the wheel, they required almost no truing at all.

Here's the part I really like. They hold a WTB tire bead MUCH tighter than the Delgados did. Additionally, I can still remove the tire pretty easily because there is a dropped center section of the rim that allows the bead to loosen enough to come off the rim easily when you need to change a flat.

So far I have only one ride in them, but after that ride, they came out straight as an arrow and with no tension problems.

We'll see how they do as time goes by.

Pete

Here's Velocity's web site.
 

·
Tá mé ar meisce.
Joined
·
682 Posts
I have a 36h rear and a 32h front with about 600+ miles on them. So far they have been great. FWIW I am 230lbs but I am pretty easy on wheels.

I have the silver ones and personally I think they look a lot better when you peel the ugly stickers off.
 

·
Witty McWitterson
Joined
·
5,023 Posts
Late in the season I got a set of the Blunt wheels. Normally, I don't go for pre-built wheels, I like building my own. But the price on these was too good to let go. So I got 'em. I have however built up other velocity rims, and they lace up snapily. Probably the easiest rims to build with out there now.

So far, I can't say I've had issue one with them. I have taken a few bigger rock hits, but they're still true. I haven't had to re-tension them yet either. Good rims me thinks.

Oh, and the first thing I did was peel those god-aweful stickers off. And they come off very easily.
 

·
Harmonius Wrench
Joined
·
8,254 Posts
Good stuff

I've built several Velocity rims into wheels over the years and I think they make a very solid, if not very exciting, product. Not a lot to say- they build up very nicely, (perhaps a tad on the softer side. Compared to a DT Swiss rim anyway) The lack of eyelets is made up for with an increase in thickness at the spoke bed of the extrusion. It seems to work well.

I ran a pair of Blunts for most of the late winter and spring here. I sold a bike with them on it to a kid here that .....how shall I put this......isn't very subtle in his riding style. The bike came back to the shop recently for some adjustments. I took a quick look at the wheels. A bit out of true on the rear, but nothing a spoke wrench couldn't cure quickly.

I recommend them for a daily use wheelset that will do a yeomans job in a very plain package. (Especially if you remove the stickers!)

Of course, if it's looks you want, Velocity can powder coat or anodize your rims in a rainbow of colors and they even have a flashy vinyl sticker program that is "Shiggy Approved"! :D :p
 

·
Always Learning
Joined
·
9,608 Posts
JJT said:
Who is riding the Velocity Blunt rim, and compared to other rims, how is the quality of manufacturing?

How do they build?

Thanks!

JJ
I've got a pair of the silver Blunts waiting to be built. My pair is 474 grams per rim (about 20 grams or so lighter than my Delgado Disc rims) and they look like they can very easily be converted to tubeless using a Stan's Freeride strip. No deep channel filling that requires some D.I.Y. Frost King weatherstripping with this rim. The strip should to the trick. I've got a Racing Ralph mounted to one of the rims sitting here next to me as part of a RR measurement test I'm doing on a Dyad and a Blunt rim.

None of that answered any of your questions, but it looks like the lightest weight alternative to the wide class 29"er rims out there (Delgado Disc, WTB Dual Duty, Rhyno Lite, Holm, Flow, Halo Freedom, etc...). I like the wide footprint these rims give and look forward to using the Blunt next season once I settle in on a pair of hubs.

BB

 

·
Birthday Collector
Joined
·
2,610 Posts
~martini~ said:
Oh, and the first thing I did was peel those god-aweful stickers off. And they come off very easily.
Yep - me too. I also built a rear wheel that carried me and 35+ lbs worth of gear on a trip with some rough singletrack and rocky dirt roads. Held up fine and is being used as an SS rear wheel now. Very happy with the durability and fairly light weight. I'll use them again.
 

·
Harmonius Wrench
Joined
·
8,254 Posts
toddre said:
I was looking at these for my winter project bike, how are they compared to Dusters?
Dusters will have a dedicated rim strip for tubeless ready Bontrager stuff, so if you are going that route, I'd say they are better. Also, the Dusters should have the offset spoke bed like the Rhythm wheelsets they are based off of. The Blunt is symetrical. Theoretically, the Duster should be a stronger rim.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,389 Posts
Guitar Ted said:
Dusters will have a dedicated rim strip for tubeless ready Bontrager stuff, so if you are going that route, I'd say they are better. Also, the Dusters should have the offset spoke bed like the Rhythm wheelsets they are based off of. The Blunt is symetrical. Theoretically, the Duster should be a stronger rim.
I like the idea of the dusters with my build......:thumbsup:
 

·
Gold Member
Wrecker V2 / Nimble9
Joined
·
1,197 Posts
We had some built up for my wife in Sept via MG. I was wanting a rim that was wide, yet light for the wife.

Laced to WTB LaserLites and using SuperComps the wheelset came out to 1765gr.

After a few months of use they are still rock solid in terms of being true and creek free.
That being said I have posted a while back about my wife having rim ding issues.

In 10+ years of riding (and using VXC's for 4 yrs now) she (or I) have had very little to no issues with dinging up rims.

In less than 1 week she already had 3-4 dings in her rear wheel and we are keeping her tires inflated to 30-33psi!!! I'm 210 and run 28-30psi in my Delgado's without a single ding in almost a years service and I ride more aggressive for sure, not to mention my bike is fully rigid vs hers is a DOS.

Now she did have a flat (read was riding on a slow leak) when we think this dings happened. But still, this is par for the course for anyone mtbiking and until now was never an ding magnet like these Blunts have been.

Don't get me wrong, I still like them for what they are supposed to be, but I am a little disappointed in the soft rim surface.

Here is the Ding Post w/picks:
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=344774
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,389 Posts
F5000sl said:
We had some built up for my wife in Sept via MG. I was wanting a rim that was wide, yet light for the wife.

Laced to WTB LaserLites and using SuperComps the wheelset came out to 1765gr.

After a few months of use they are still rock solid in terms of being true and creek free.
That being said I have posted a while back about my wife having rim ding issues.

In 10+ years of riding (and using VXC's for 4 yrs now) she (or I) have had very little to no issues with dinging up rims.

In less than 1 week she already had 3-4 dings in her rear wheel and we are keeping her tires inflated to 30-33psi!!! I'm 210 and run 28-30psi in my Delgado's without a single ding in almost a years service and I ride more aggressive for sure, not to mention my bike is fully rigid vs hers is a DOS.

Now she did have a flat (read was riding on a slow leak) when we think this dings happened. But still, this is par for the course for anyone mtbiking and until now was never an ding magnet like these Blunts have been.

Don't get me wrong, I still like them for what they are supposed to be, but I am a little disappointed in the soft rim surface.

Here is the Ding Post w/picks:
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=344774
I remember your post about that..I wonder if you just got a bad rim
 

·
Gold Member
Wrecker V2 / Nimble9
Joined
·
1,197 Posts
toddre said:
I remember your post about that..I wonder if you just got a bad rim
They seem to be fine since, or at least I think so. The rear rim has a total of 3 or 4 dings like the one in the photo. The front rim has ZERO.

No flats since either. I think the rim is just a little "soft" around the edges, but they seem to be strong in terms of flex and staying true.

For $50.00 a rim, IMO they still are hard to beat.
 
1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top