Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Searching through the archives, it looks like some people have had better luck than others.

If it were me, I'd use normal Velox rim tape plus Frost King weatherstripping to fill the channel. Then for the first several rides, measure PSI directly before and after the ride to check for burping.

My personal experience with tubeless retrofit is that if it is a PITA to mount the tire, it's probably going to seal up pretty easily and not burp/blowoff. Plenty of soapy water to lube for mounting. [Which, incidentally, is what she said.]

·
noMAD man
12,068 Posts
This pic pretty well sums up my experience with the Blunt rim and a tubeless Neo. It did this with two different style Stan's rim strips and a ghetto strip. The problem isn't the ghetto system, rim strip, or no strip. The problem is for truly reliable tubeless mode with a Neo and Blunt, the fit between tire and rim is just too loose. I had the same issue with a Stan's ZTR355 rim.

On the other hand, some have had no issue with running this setup tubeless. The ghetto setup lasted on mine better than anything I tried, but in all cases where I had a blowoff like the one pictured, I was in an aggressive, technical turn at speed, and just peeled the tire off. I know how to deal with tubeless setups. I've been running tires in tubeless mode since Stan first came out with the idea of using latex mold builder and packing tape. I never had a tubeless issue like this until doing the 650B NeoMoto and a couple of different 650B rims. Neither the Neo nor the Blunt are designed as tubeless items, but neither were many/most of the 26'er setups I ran without issue. As some others, you many have no issue with the Blunt/Neo. Just be aware that it is a possibility. Both the tire and rim are outstanding items on their own IMO...or if you run a tube. I finally found a Sun CR18 rim that fits the Neo like a glove and have ridden it extensively in tubeless setup.

Attachments

·
Sail On!
248 Posts
I run Neo-Moto with the Blunt tubeless with a Stan's rim strip meant for a standard Rhynolite rim not the XL. I just use the fiberglass packing tape underneath. It took a little massaging to get the strip on as I believe it is a bit wide but it has worked perfectly at 25psi through some pretty technical rocky terrain. I have about 3 months on this setup. I love the wide footprint the Blunt gives the tire. Cornering has really improved over the 355/Neo-Moto setup.

·
Reviewer/Tester
6,176 Posts
Nope...

You have probably already read my account of the Neo and Blunt testing I am currently running on an Ibis Mojo.

I've had no problems with this setup as a ghetto tubeless system at all.
However .... thats not to say it's perfect, as TNC has found out. I guess that i've been lucky with mine, but it has performed faultlessly for me, and until it blows off .... if it ever does ... then I can continue to recommend it as a good setup.

After bashing the crap out of it with not a single burp or flat after six months of hard use, I recently re-filled it with my home brew and expect to get another six months of the same reliability from the wheel.

Rainman.

sinac84 said:
Anyone have trouble or success getting a Blunt and Neo-Moto to seal up ghetto tubeless?

·
www.derbyrims.com
6,766 Posts
No more problems than 26 inch conversions. I've been using Neo-motos and Blunts with Stan's Freeride 26 inch wheel size rimstrips for 1.5 years. I did experience 2 or 3 front tire burps when panic turning to avoid head-ons riding singletrack at first when I was trying under 20 psi in front. Having heard of TNC's tire blow-off problems with this rim and Stan's 650b rim using 35 psi I think my lack of problems is from using 30 psi or less. I find 30 psi plenty firm for my rear Neo-moto under my 200+ lb ride weight over any type of terrain. My front tire is never over 26 psi, both are usually a couple psi lower, only up to 26/30 front/rear on very rocky harder riding conditions.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
If you guys could post up your weights and other crucial info that would be cool too... I wonder when the first UST 650b tire will come out :) I haven't liked tubeless mostly because it feels too squishy for me in the rear. But I weigh about 225 clydeish. A lot of folks are saying I'm fine with tubeless but I've had nothing but aweful experiences tubeless personally.. :(

1 - 8 of 8 Posts