Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
The Knights Who Say "Ni"
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a pair of Velocity Blunt 29ers for my 29er build and I come to find out after I have made the decision to go tubeless that Stan's doesn't make a kit for it. Holes drilled in the rim are for presta and not thrilled about drilling wider holes for schrader valve. Anyone run into the same problem and how did you fix it? Any other tubeless systems out there?

·
Always Learning
9,608 Posts
Iluv2adjust said:
Just bought a pair of Velocity Blunt 29ers for my 29er build and I come to find out after I have made the decision to go tubeless that Stan's doesn't make a kit for it. Holes drilled in the rim are for presta and not thrilled about drilling wider holes for schrader valve. Anyone run into the same problem and how did you fix it? Any other tubeless systems out there?
Drilled the holes for Schrader and I run the NoTubes 26" Freeride strip in the Blunts. Works perfectly. No need for weather stripping under these suckers as they fill the channel.

You can, however, try Frost King weather stripping under a 29"er NoTubes strip with presta valve to build up the center channel and then use the 29"er strip over that. It looks like this:

The problem with that set up is that once the weather stripping "settles in", the 29"er rim strip no longer fills the width of the rim cavity from wall to wall making conversions complicated and frustrating due to sealant leak before the bond sets up between tire and strip. The Freeride strip is wider and fills that gap with aplomb since it is designed for rims between 27 - 34mm. As I said above - no need for weather stripping with the Freeride strips. The blunts are 28mm wide and the slight stretching the 26" Freeride strip goes through to go around the larger 700c rim still gives it plenty (believe me) of width to fill the Blunt (and other similar 27-30mm 29"er rims). Been there, done that with the Blunts. So I'm just sharing what I went through.

Or I use a ghetto split tube (yup, the cheap 24" or 26" Wally-Word Schrader tubes).

Plenty of tubes available with removable valve cores if you want to run presta.

If you are afraid of drilling out the hole to take a Schrader because you think you can't "go back to presta", there are these little doo-hickies which convert the Schrader hole to the Presta size hole.:cool:

Me? I absolutely HATE presta. My big clutzy hands are always breaking the valve cores, ripping the valve stem out of the rim strip when I pull the pump off, etc... .

...which results in this.

So I finally manned up and said to heck with (for the most part) the odd presta valves.:p :p

Some have reported success with Gorilla Tape and valves, etc... .

Freeride strips in my Blunts, Fire XC Pros on the RIP 9.

BB

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,254 Posts
Or you could just by pass the whole morass with Stan's, Frost King strips, etcetera and get a set of Bontrager Rhythm TLR plastic rim strips, valve stems and be done with it. They snap right into Blunt rims like Bontrager made the strips for Velocity. I have a set of Blunts set up that way and they are bombproof tubeless wheels.

·
Always Learning
9,608 Posts
Guitar Ted said:
Or you could just by pass the whole morass with Stan's, Frost King strips, etcetera and get a set of Bontrager Rhythm TLR plastic rim strips, valve stems and be done with it. They snap right into Blunt rims like Bontrager made the strips for Velocity. I have a set of Blunts set up that way and they are bombproof tubeless wheels.
Cool. I need to upgrade. I don't think those strips were out yet when I went the Freeride route back in early 2008.

BB

·
Registered
132 Posts
Guitar Ted said:
I just set mine up with these strips (no weather strip) and it sealed up with zero problems. No drilling and cheaper than stan's system.

·
Always Learning
9,608 Posts
Guitar Ted said:
That's right, BB, they weren't and then your system was the best route. Upgrade to the TLR rim strips. I think you'll be happy you did. :thumbsup:
What tires have you converted to date using these Bonty strips and the Blunts? Any burping issues? Tires fit nice and snug up against the strip?

Thanks.

BB

·
Ride and Smile suckas
593 Posts
one tip. Make sure you put the valve stem in and line it all up before you "SNAP" it in place. Once those Bontrager rim strips are in the Blunts they are tight, they dont move easy.
I will say this is an awesome set up and the tires inflate super easy with some stans or something...

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,254 Posts
BruceBrown said:
What tires have you converted to date using these Bonty strips and the Blunts? Any burping issues? Tires fit nice and snug up against the strip?

Thanks.

BB
I have only stuck on a set of XR TLR tires and no burping or other issues at all. Used on a fully rigid SS bike at pressures around 20-25 psi. Bulletproof.

I can't imagine why Conti, Maxxis, or WTB tires wouldn't convert on this set up though. I wouldn't be afraid to try that out. It's just that I don't have to, since I have the luxury of owning, (yes, that means I bought with my own $$) several wheel sets which I just swap in when the mood hits or conditions dictate another set up.

mcstumpy makes an excellent point about lining up the valve stem holes. Even on a Bontrager wheel, you are asking for trouble if you do not do this. My trick is to put a Phillips screw driver through the strip's valve hole and insert that through the rim's valve hole first, then leave that in there like that as you mount the rim strip. Keeps everything nice and lined up. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
445 Posts
I run my blunts tubeless with only stans yellow tape and stans valves. I did have to drill out the inner hole slightly, but other than that I have no problems running this way. Its super light too.

·
The Knights Who Say "Ni"
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
alo said:
The Bontrager rim strips are the way to go to run the Blunt tubeless. I'd concur with everything said prior for getting your wheel set up.
I would have to respectfully disagree, escpecially with inexperience on my side in setting up a tubeless setup. I have a pair of velocity blunts and I bought the Bontrager Rim Strips, some Stans sealant. Soaped up the rim and tire and it would not inflate at all. I even had a compressor handy to try and quickly inflate it, but nothing...I inspected it throughly, but still nothing would seal. It was such a mess.. I was using Michelin AT XC 2.0" tires that I thought would work. Maybe that was the problem?? :madman:

·
Velocity USA
8 Posts
Adjust: We've had success setting up numerous tires from a number different companies using the Bontrager kit on the Blunt. That's not to say setting up a rim tubeless always goes smoothly though. A few things to keep in mind, is the AT XC a new tire? Using an old tire that has stretched a bit can put up a good battle in set up. Also, to my knowledge, the AT XC is not a tubeless tire which means it could fight you a bit more with set-up but I believe they do offer a UST version. I would check with Michelin on if they suggest running the tire tubeless. Also make sure the strip is centered on the web all the way around rim which can help with the seal. Best of luck!

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Just to add to what Alo said, if you're setting up a tyre tubeless for the first time it's best to get the tyre inflated and seat the bead, THEN, deflate and break the seal on one bead, put in sealant and re-inflate - this way there's no meassy sealant issues while you're trying to get the beads seated.

Iluv2adjust said:
I would have to respectfully disagree, escpecially with inexperience on my side in setting up a tubeless setup. I have a pair of velocity blunts and I bought the Bontrager Rim Strips, some Stans sealant. Soaped up the rim and tire and it would not inflate at all. I even had a compressor handy to try and quickly inflate it, but nothing...I inspected it throughly, but still nothing would seal. It was such a mess.. I was using Michelin AT XC 2.0" tires that I thought would work. Maybe that was the problem?? :madman:

·
Always Learning
9,608 Posts
Iluv2adjust said:
Some tires can be a real pain in the Arsch to inflate. Assuming you pulled the valve cores out to get the maximum amount of air flying in there from the compressor, sometimes things just don't work. You can try string, or webbing strap around the circumference of the tire to mash the edges down to catch the air from a compressor. You can pat all around on the top of the tire to get fluid and bead to contact. You can use 6 hands to hold the tire in place to catch air. You can use every cuss word in the book. You can run down to the gas station air compressor that blows a lot of air (more than your typical home air compressor). You can give it the old college try over and over and over and even with all of that - some tires just won't give up the ghost and inflate. When that happens, I usually give it up and if I really want that tire to be run tubeless, I'll go ghetto, build up more under the rim strip or simply put them on one of my other wheelsets.

It's not always cut and dry.

BB

1 - 20 of 76 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.