Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Got to ride Lajitas Loop and Big Bend Nat Park Old Ore road from north trailhead at Dagger Flat with Dad during Xmas break, but only 20 miles out and back to McKinney Spring. Now looking at Googleearth it's obvious that where dad ran out of steam and we turned back north was where things JUST start getting interesting and scenery looks amazing. I'm thinking of going back to ride Contrabando and Old Ore from south to north, but wonder what y'all do for parking at the Old Ore south trailhead? Is parking there for a whole day to ride south to north and back safe? Got any favorite Old Ore south of McKinney Spring favorite pics? I already saw a few of Chuck Cypert's on FB.
Thanks,
Lionsgaffer

·
Rohloff
1,600 Posts
I just got done riding Old Ore Road from North to South. That's the way to do it if you can work it out. That gives you a few significant climbs but a net decent of 1000 feet or more. The Northern 1/3rds is good. The Southern 1/3 was my least favorite. The terrain is flatter and less interesting ... and I was tired. I thought the best part was the middle 1/3rd.

There are numerous options for parking at the South end. The road on the South end is relatively smooth. I think you can get most 2wd vehicles quite a few miles up the road. I'd just go up a ways and find a place you're comfortable parking. As for safety, I think you're fine. There's always a freak chance of someone coming a long and breaking into your car but it's soooo remote that you don't have to worry about local hoods hitting the trailhead parking lots.

My recommendation is to talk to he people at Desert Sports in Terlinqua/Lajitas. For a few bucks, they'd probably pick you up where you drop off your car down South and take you to the Northern end so you could do the whole thing top to bottom.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.