Mtbr Founder
35,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Attachments

·
Up In Smoke
Dirt Roadë
3,281 Posts
So sad, people need realize the consequences for their actions when they get behind the wheel of an automobile. Likely could have been avoided.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
OMG, this just makes me so sad and mad at the same time. As someone who rides to work most days, this is probably the greatest threat to my life on a routine basis, and I do some stupid ****.

Condolences to the family and I hope they throw the Mother F*ing book at the driver.

·
Registered
4,572 Posts
San Jose has never been the place to ride bikes. Back in college, my wife had police in downtown tell her to ride on the sidewalk as they typically did. We need protected lanes divided by K-Rail. Mayor Sam has even been hit.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Every single one of us needs to share this on our Facebooks. Here is what I typed:

This is one of my biggest fears when riding. Please take a moment and double check the bike lane before pulling out or turning. You just might be saving someone else's life as well as not ruining your own. Even if she is not found negligent and manages to escape charges (all too common in these cases), she will have to live with the guilt of killing one, maybe two people for the rest of her life. This doesn't even consider the damage she has caused two families as well :(

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
I'm glad the police are actually doing something.
Here in San Diego, the cops bend over backwards to absolve a driver of any responsibility when they injure/kill a cyclist. Unless, of course, it's egregious, and drugs/alcohol are involved.

·
Registered
6,298 Posts
I quit road riding the day John Peckham was killed on Page Mill. The driver in that case got 19 years. I had just built up a beautiful Calfee Dragonfly, which I immediately sold. Haven’t owned a road bike since.

·
Mtbr Founder
35,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Title of the post should have been driver kills bicyclists.
So the title is actually a sign of progress. For the last couple decades, it would have said,
"Cyclist killed in collision"
or
"Cyclist killed in accident"

So there is some slight progress here. And the police at the scene had more pointed statements about what happened here about the brutality that occured.

Before they would just say, "it was just an accident, the cyclist was wearing a helment and the driver stopped and was remorseful."

Yes, everybody share this. A life was snuffed out IMHO and the other one hangs in the balance.

·
Registered
148 Posts
A 47 year old male cyclist was killed three weeks ago on the lower part of Mt Diablo when the cyclist was hit by an SUV. It was the road about 500 yards before entering the south gate. Maayan Jones. His wife and three small kids came to the gathering Mt Diablo Cyclists held. There is a also a Go Fund me setup to help the family. Very sad.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Perhaps we should wait to see what comes of the investigation before we automatically lynch the driver? According to the article the driver was pulling out of a driveway, and drugs or alcohol were not a factor...

I've seen many a near miss due to aggressive riders and drivers ignoring common vehicle regulations.

·
Registered
811 Posts
This is very sad. I’m very sorry for the families of these riders.

I’ll continue to commute on the quietest streets I can, and a full array of high vis. gear, but I have to keep reminding myself that each driveway potentially has a blind, agitated, steel rhino hiding in it.

·
Registered
3,911 Posts
My heart dropped when I heard this on the news last night. Is also the reason why I have zero interest in riding on the road unless there is a separate dedicated bike path.

On the other hand, as a cyclist that drives daily, I have seen more than a handful of teenager riding badly on the road, creating unnecessary bad impression about cyclist on the road.

·
Trail Rider
24 Posts
I'm so tired of hearing about "drugs and alcohol weren't involved." So the idea is that if you're sober and just drive like **** and don't pay attention it's ok. **** that.
Perhaps a smartphone was involved. People dont drink and drive as much, but it seems like so so many people are on their smartphones. Freaks me out a bit!

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
On the upside, this is first bike-related fatality/injury article where the author didn't include whether or not the rider was wearing a helmet.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.