Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 427 Posts

·
Epic eater
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lots of talk about a new thread on this...so boom..here we go.

I'm looking forward to seeing what recipes people share in here...oh and please don't just post "Google xxxxxxxx", we all know you can search for a bazillion recipes online, but that doesn't tell us how they actually were, or the story behind something, many times that's as interesting as the actual recipe.

I'll start this...I've been vegetarian my whole life, was raised that way, not really as a ethical thing, more as a health thing (religious household, etc). I don't always eat as healthy as I should, but I leave notes for myself like "Eat more vegetables you idiot!" because on days I do, I feel great, days I faulter and eat junk, I feel like crap.

My goto breakfast is:
1/2 cup dry old fashioned Quaker oatmeal
2 tbsp ground flax
1-1/2 cups water
Microwave until furiously boiling (~2:50)
Add in: (any variation that totals about 1.5 cups)
fresh or frozen blueberries
fresh pineapple
fresh cantaloupe
fresh honeydew melon
fresh raspberries
diced apple
sliced banana
chopped persimmons (one of my favorites)

This is filling (it's what I eat any random day and also before bike races) tastes good, sticks with me for a long time but doesn't make me feel bloated.

Next...

·
Registered
151 Posts
Mmmmmm! I'll post some usable recipes when I get home.
Mornings are a smoothie or oatmeal for me. Smoothie has 3-4 bananas, 4+dates, spinach or kale, frozen blueberries/cherries/strawberries, coconut water/juice, mangos if I got em.
Oatmeal has old fashion organic oats, wheat germ, milled flax, diced dates, molasses/coconut sugar/raw sugar, diced apple, and sometimes crushed walnut(just a sprinkle).
/= and, or.

·
9 lives
15,607 Posts
Here are three dairy substitutes to make vegan desserts.

Milk

Dairy-free milk alternatives from almonds, cashews, soy, hemp, oats, quinoa, hazelnuts, coconut and other animal-free ingredients. Recipes calling for traditional dairy milk can be made vegan by using any non-dairy milk alternative. Note that if a recipe calls for whole milk or cream, it is best to use a higher-fat milk like coconut milk to best replicate the consistency. If you’re making a savory recipe, be sure to use unsweetened non-dairy milk to avoid unnecessary added sugar.

Eggs

Eggs are used in baking to add structure, leavening, color and flavor to baked goods. Though it is difficult to replicate an egg’s unique molecular structure and properties when baking without animal products, there are several suitable vegan options. Commercial egg replacers made from wheat gluten (like Bob’s Red Mill) or tapioca flour (like Ener-G) are designed to substitute eggs in baked goods that require a leavening agent. Silken tofu is another vegan egg alternative with a quarter-cup of tofu replacing the equivalent of one egg.

Butter

Butter is used to add fat and flavor to baked goods and can easily be swapped out for plant-based oils. Vegan butter-like spreads and sticks (such as EarthBalance) are readily available in most grocery stores and can be substituted for butter. A less processed option is to use coconut oil, which can be used solid at room temperature or melted into a liquid oil depending on what is required by the recipe.

·
Registered
33 Posts
So my daughter decided to become a vegetarian.. With me being a meat eater and absolutely no Clue as what I would feed her and also enjoy myself. With hours of searching for recipes. I was listening to my favorite band on youtube. The there was all this talking about vegan and vegetarian meals.

So Check out Brutally Delicious on Youtube
Not all are vegan/vegetarian but The one that are, are pretty BOMB I really like the Lima Bean vegi soup Made by Trama of HED P.E

Enjoy and Killer thread !!!

·
Registered
151 Posts
Black bean burgers

Black beans(fresh boiled or canned)
Quick oats
Ketchup
Mustard
Any other spices you like
Mix/mash all together and make patties
Bake on parchment paper at 350 about 10-15min

·
Epic eater
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The best veggie burgers I've ever made:

Based on this but with some variations:
Our Perfect Veggie Burger ? Oh She Glows

In medium frypan:
1/2 cup onion, diced
1 large garlic clove, minced
1 tsp olive oil
few dashes of salt

Saute for several minutes until onions are very soft (not browning though). When they are done dump them into larger bowl (see below) and reuse the fry pan to toast the almonds and sunflower seeds:
1/3 cup raw almonds
1/2 cup sunflower seeds

Toast on medium, shaking pan often until the nuts smell fragrant and start to get a little bit of color on them, then dump into food processor and pulse until fine pieces, not powder, but 1/16" - 1/8" pieces, or even a bit bigger pieces.

In separate small bowl:
2.5 tbsp ground flax + 1/2 cup *hot* water, mixed in bowl
(mix thoroughly and let sit for ~10 minutes)

In larger mixing bowl:
1 cup oat flour (I ground up oatmeal in a spice grinder, food processor might work)
1/2 red bell pepper ground up finely in a food processor
1/2 can of pinto beans, drained & rinsed, mashed/ground in food processor
1/4 cup of chopped cilantro
1 tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 tbsp Soy Sauce or Braggs Liquid Aminos (I used Braggs)
1.5 tsp chipotle chile powder
1 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. oregano
1/4 tsp (or more) ground red pepper (cayenne, etc)
1/2 tsp salt (guessing, I just did this to taste)
1/4 tsp black pepper

Mix everything in the larger bowl (onions & toasted chopped nuts & flax mixture & all ingredients above) then mix thoroughly. Next start adding bread crumbs (I used non-flavored panko, but any will work, or even fresh bread slices ground up in a food processor, if aiming for gluten free then obviously don't use wheat-flour-based bread crumbs here) and just keep adding it and mixing thoroughly until you get the texture you want. The recipe calls for 1.5 cups, I doubt I used that much, you should be tasting it here too as nothing in these needs to be cooked, so can eat whenever to get seasoning right, might need more salt or more heat.

Then form into patties (squeeze hard into a ball first to compress, then form into a patty) and either bake at ~400 degrees for maybe 15 minutes, or pan fry on medium with some oil until they are golden brown or even slightly charred. I'm sure you could grill too, but they tend to be a bit crumbly, so maybe on a grill-pan and not actual open grill bars.

I thought these were excellent. The texture of the nuts in the mixture was fantastic and the huge number of spices was worth it in my opinion. I like recipes I can taste as I'm mixing it up to get the seasoning right.

·
9 lives
15,607 Posts
^ wow those veggie burgers. I'm going to try your recipe mabrodis... actually my hubby does the cooking so I'll just pass this on to him and insist :) Thanks!

·
Registered
35 Posts
wow where to start.. i grew up on mac and cheese. its fast, nutritious and convenient.

being vegan about a decade, my goto replacement seems to be a thai style peanut sauce pasta.

cook up some al dente spaghetti, macaroni or fusilli.. my fav is actually bucatini for this recipe.

in a seperate saucepan combine a teaspoon of sesame oil, crushed clove of garlic, salt, pepper, paprika, 2tbsp of your fav peanut butter and melt it over medium heat..

add water to sauce to get your desired consistancy, maybe 1/4 to 1/2 cup as the peanut butter melts but will be lumpy if you dont cut it.. also you can add soy sauce and sriracha to taste.

then just combine and enjoy.

for dessert, frozen bananas with some vanilla extract and maple syrup blend together nice in a food processor. just like ice cream (great on waffles too)

·
Registered
151 Posts
BBQ cauliflower- bread cut up cauliflower with chickpea flour and water, then breadcrumbs. Bake with or without BBQ sauce on at 20 min. at 425, turn and bake another 20min.

·
Registered
342 Posts
My favorite is a black bean and brown rice burrito. Add in a little tomato, avalacdo, peppers, onion, and whatever else you might want. I use the low carb whole grain tortillas. Simple, fast and perfect to me.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Hey, good ideas! I'm looking forward to perusing these. I tend not to measure, but I'll try to come up with some general guidelines for this (my current go-to quick stir-fry meal).

1 med. onion, diced.
1 bunch greens (kale, spinach or bok choy) chopped.
1 small broccoli crown (or 1 bunch green beans), chopped.
1 package firm tofu, cubed.
3-4 cloves garlic , chopped.
1 thumb ginger (grated if you don't like the threads).
HOT PEPPERS! (optional).

Glaze:
4 TB veg. broth.
1-2 TB rice wine vinegar.
1-2 TB soy sauce.
1 tsp. corn starch.

brown rice or rice noodles for bed.

Saute onions & broccoli med/hot until onions are just starting to soften. Add tofu and cook until warmed. Add greens until they start to wilt. Mix the glaze and set aside. Add the garlic, ginger & peppers just before you glaze. The glaze will thicken quickly, so this is the last step before you serve. If you like your garlic strong, glaze immediately after adding the garlic & ginger; otherwise saute for a bit.

Serve over brown rice or rice noodles.

This recipe is ready for all kinds of personalizing. Add more or less anything, depending on how acidic (vinegar), salty (soy sauce) or spicy (peppers) you like things.

·
Epic eater
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey, good ideas! I'm looking forward to perusing these. I tend not to measure, but I'll try to come up with some general guidelines for this (my current go-to quick stir-fry meal).

1 med. onion, diced.
1 bunch greens (kale, spinach or bok choy) chopped.
1 small broccoli crown (or 1 bunch green beans), chopped.
1 package firm tofu, cubed.
3-4 cloves garlic , chopped.
1 thumb ginger (grated if you don't like the threads).
HOT PEPPERS! (optional).

Glaze:
4 TB veg. broth.
1-2 TB rice wine vinegar.
1-2 TB soy sauce.
1 tsp. corn starch.

brown rice or rice noodles for bed.

Saute onions & broccoli med/hot until onions are just starting to soften. Add tofu and cook until warmed. Add greens until they start to wilt. Mix the glaze and set aside. Add the garlic, ginger & peppers just before you glaze. The glaze will thicken quickly, so this is the last step before you serve. If you like your garlic strong, glaze immediately after adding the garlic & ginger; otherwise saute for a bit.

Serve over brown rice or rice noodles.

This recipe is ready for all kinds of personalizing. Add more or less anything, depending on how acidic (vinegar), salty (soy sauce) or spicy (peppers) you like things.
That looks great. I've never made any sort of stir-fry, but I like them at restaurants, I'll have to try that.

On a side note I'm a big fan of brown rice and black/Emperor rice (talk about a conversation starter at a potluck! "Is this rice or mouse turds?") but I've also gotten accustomed to using quinoa or even millet (which is like way way cheaper than quinoa and not far off nutritionally) instead. Nothing against rice at all, just trying different things under some of my favorite Indian dishes.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I've also gotten accustomed to using quinoa or even millet (which is like way way cheaper than quinoa and not far off nutritionally) instead.
Millet really is pretty good stuff. Toasted it's a little sweet. My current favorite bread recipe uses millet (both whole and millet flour). I actually didn't realize that it was close to quinoa health-wise, so that makes me like it even more!

·
Registered
367 Posts
Breakfast Bowl
I use a tablespoon to measure. For the nuts its a rounded tablespoon.

1 T Raw Filberts
1 T Raw Cashews
1 T Raw Almonds
1 T Raw Pumpkin seeds
1 T Raw Sesame seeds
1 T Flax Seeds
1 T Chia Seeds
1 T date pieces
5 or 6 blackberries
small hand full of blueberries
1 T Cacao
I add 1/3 cup appleasuce or cut up apple - Wife adds yogurt
Mix and enjoy

·
9 lives
15,607 Posts
Vegan Christmas Protein Cookies

vegan-christmas-protein-cookies-graphics-1.jpg

Vegans and gluten-free eaters, rejoice! 'Tis the season to partake in holiday goodies.

Peanut, cashew, or almond butter 3 tbsp
Ground almonds 1/4 cup
Pea protein powder (vanilla or unflavored) 1/8 cup
Agave syrup 1 tbsp
Almond or coconut milk 1 tbsp
Ground ginger (optional) 1 tsp
Allspice or pumpkin spice (optional) 1/2 tsp

Directions

1. Blend all ingredients until you achieve cookie-dough consistency. Taste to ensure you've achieved your desired level of sweetness. Adjust accordingly.
2. Roll your cookie dough into a nonstick cookie tray, and cut out your Christmas shapes with a cookie cutter (think trees, snowmen, and Santas).
3. Bake at 340 degrees F (170 C) for 10-12 minutes or until the cookies are golden brown.
4. Now comes the most important step: Allow the cookies to cool completely. If you try to eat them before they've cooled, they'll crumble, and your effort will be for naught.
5. If you want to decorate your cookies, add some melted dark chocolate, calorie-free chocolate syrup, cocoa powder, shredded coconut, or whatever toppings you fancy the most!

Nutrition Facts
Serving size: 1 cookie (using sugar-free peanut butter)
Recipe yields: 5 cookies
Amount per serving
Calories 102
Fat 6 g
Carbs 5 g
Protein 6 g

·
9 lives
15,607 Posts
Luckily, there’s an alternative solution for those who love the creamy richness of dairy product. Avocados come with the creamy richness of dairy products, but without all of the hormones, antibiotics and animal cruelty that many dairy ingredients are manufactured with. Avocados can be used to replace a variety of normally dairy-rich foods. Here are some ways that you can use avocados to replace dairy ingredients.

1) Use avocado in place of butter in baked goods
2) Use avocado in place of yogurt in smoothies
3) Use avocado in place of sour cream
4) Use avocado in place of salad dressing
5) Use avocado in place of traditional dips

Good source of info and how to:

How Avocados Can Easily Replace Dairy in All Your Favorite Creamy Dishes | One Green Planet

1 - 20 of 427 Posts