Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the local thought on the best way to ride up The Hurl?

Love that trail, but I've never been able to stay on the bike for the entire uphill.

I ride it counter clockwise from Blue Diamond.

What's the preferred trail for the climb up?

Is it the the trail that's closest to town or the one across the drainage/canyon and closest to the cliff band?

Both trails aren't too bad until they get close to joining up near the top of the climb and that's where the problems really start for me.

Not sure if I'll ever clean either one and I go back and forth on what trail I think is "easiest".

·
Young, Shawn Young
3,165 Posts
I prefer to climb up from the other side of BD. Climb the fireroad up and over to the other side and then start climbing. From the top you have 3 ways down. Two choices bring you back towards BD. A third kicks you back into the western trails. Theres actually a 4th but its a hike a bike.

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So how many ways up are there?

I'm always trying to climb one of the two singletracks right behind BD. I usually access them right from BD/Old Spanish Trail or ride out a bit and then cut back into the same canyon.

I've come up the rocky descent trail(western side?) as well, and that wasn't too bad once through the initial steep start. That's the trail I like coming down.

Thanks

·
Young, Shawn Young
3,165 Posts
Thats about it. I like to climb up the western side and then take the NW passage(not very well marked) At the end of the NW passage there is a steep hike a bike back down towards the west.. To be honest I think the NW trail is the best mix of trail up there which is why I always take it. Of course this adds some miles if you park at BD.

·
Young, Shawn Young
3,165 Posts
E ! said:
I like to climb "the backside" of the hurl. Then take the main trail back.
Dude, do you even know how to find that trail anymore??:cornut:

·
Registered
98 Posts
Can anyone clean The Hurl from the BD side? It seems impossibly loose about 2/3 of the way up (with the loose section occurring just as your lungs are busting). It's even tricky loose coming down that section. It seems like something I could never do, no matter how hard I trained. I'd like to know if this section is even possible for the local, hard-core, non-pro rider. Maybe I'm overestimating it's difficulty.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
I stopped riding xc or all mountain when I dismantled my all mountain bike, so I was just downhilling for a while. When I got my new all mountian bike about a year ago, it was like I was starting over with riding again. It took me a few rides to actually get up the hill without stopping, I had to find the right gearing, correct position to do it, but when I did it it was great!

The trails you are talking about, you could treat them as 2 different rides. Going up the drainage / canyon area you are talking about eventually takes you to the same spot, but it makes a pretty big difference in your ride. Just do the hurl! You'll get it.

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So is The Hurl the entire formation/loop from BD or does the name refer to just the fun/rocky trail that's on the western side?

Every time I ride up from directly behind BD I have every intention of staying on the bike and cleaning the uphill. For years I've thought I was going to finally get it, but always lose traction or have a cardiovascular meltdown. Sometimes I get to enjoy both in quick succession.

The western trail up is actually pretty fun and nowhere near the cardio/traction challenge of the BD side. I could see myself cleaning that on a really good day. Always come pretty close but will usually bobble on a rock or two or get knocked off my line. It's just the start of the steep section and the first steep rocks and turns that are the issue. I've cleaned every section of that trail at one time or another, but have yet to be able to link them all together for a completely dab free ascent.

Great trail. Probably my favorite descent in that trail system.

·
Registered
584 Posts
That depends upon my goal for the day. If I want the potential to clean the whole climb I take the west route. If I want an a$$ kicking climb I go from town. Apparently the trail west from the top is the west portal trail and a worthy discovery if you don't know it..

·
Young, Shawn Young
3,165 Posts
I agree, its a great trail but needs a connection at the end to complete the trail. I have had my eye on a piece of land that would connect the northern end of the driveway to the portal making a sweet loop of that whole area.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I've ridden Blue Diamond a lot but don't know what the "Hurl" is. If you start from Blue Diamond trailhead (next to house of LV cyclery's owner) down into the drainage, then climb a bit to the first plateau, is it the trail that goes uphill to the right (west)? If so, I've done that with my girlfriend. She was so mad for me taking her up there. It would've been better to come down

·
Registered
584 Posts
Redmon said:
I agree, its a great trail but needs a connection at the end to complete the trail. I have had my eye on a piece of land that would connect the northern end of the driveway to the portal making a sweet loop of that whole area.
I'm in for helping build trail. Please post on here about it either way.

·
Registered
219 Posts
We rode it this morning but we turned right before the drainage area. We had to walk probably 50% of it going up but at least I can ride the long winding singletrack back over the other side.

·
Lone Wolf McQuade
2,418 Posts
I only like to ride it up and down from the valley side, It's just no fun for me on the Blue Diamond side. I would love to see something connect to the Hurl from Landmine or Dave's Driveway fo sho!

Attachments

·
cactus needle collector
23 Posts
Hey all-

Just wrote up my MTB ride today at Blue Diamond

This is, I think, the same plateau that you're calling "the hurl".

Can someone help me with trail names? Eventually I'd like to build a database of many of these trails. Right now, I'm just trying to figure out which ones I've ridden and which I haven't.

thank you-

Chris

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.