Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 263 Posts
G

·
Vee-Rubber just emailed me the official weights of the new 4.7 Snowshoe that I designed with them (they will sell it to anyone, though, except to other Norwegian bike brands, as per agreement)

Must admit that I was surprised at the weight.
all that and no chips?? why post about it but leave it out?

·
Oslo, Norway
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I could not believe the weight (and need to put it on my personal scale first), but Vee have so far been very conservative with claims.
For example: 120tpi Mission is claimed at 1430, while every one (and that is many) that I have weighed have come in between 1320 and 1420g, with a bunch of the latest ones clustered around 1420 +/-5g, so obviously a controlled manufacturing process and lower weight than claimed, which is extremely rare when it comes to tires.

My first samples are on their way and I will post pics on the scales and mounted on bikes vs. Mission, etc. once I get them.

Just changed the spec on our Mk3 bikes from Mission to Snowshoe, and saved 320g by going from 4.0 to 4.7. That is a decent exchange in my book. Should take our Mk3 Mammut F3 very close to sub 25lbs on 103mms and 4.7.
Norwegians can preorder it for $2100 (plus sales tax). They must be allowed some perks up here in the dark and frozen sub Arctic winter.

·
Registered
175 Posts
These would just come in time, well, if they are available next month. Hopefully they have the same price point as the Floaters.
Holes for studs, oh yeah, piercing nips. How close can you get with your bike?

·
aka bOb
8,814 Posts
How close can you get with your bike?
Some things we just don't talk about;)

And yes if the tire is a good tire and they come out for a decent price I might even be able to afford to stock a few extra. This could really change the fat tire market or it could flop we will see. So far it's looking good but we need some hard numbers to see if they will fit all the 170mm frames.

G

·
most importantly they weigh as advertised / claimed because we know the devist8ers did not do either by a long shot.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Holes for studs, oh yeah, piercing nips. How close can you get with your bike?
I know you're kidding around, but for those who might not know, from what I've read these tires are desgined to be run with studs. Here's a quote from EspenW in another post:

We made it slightly smaller than the Bud/Lou in order to fit all those frames where Lou just barely don't fit. In addition, it will have holes for up to 300 studs (like the Escalator, just more volume and more studs)

I'd be wondering if there is more than one model. With holes and without.

·
1,711 Posts
Remember... it's "Vee Tire" now... not "Vee Rubber". :thumbsup: Awesome on the weight.

They don't look like they have holes for studs though... or am I missing something?

<a href="https://fat-bike.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/fat-bikes-at-interbike-2693-600x800.jpg" target="blank">

·
Oslo, Norway
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Looks like the first production run will be w/o stud pockets, unfortunately, but I will put some pressure on them to have it incorporated on the later runs.
I'm confident that the weight is legit, even though it is pretty amazing. As mentioned, everything that I have weighed from them since last fall (tons of Mission, Vee-8s, Speedsters have been at least 10g lower than claimed weight, so I will not be surprised to see these below 1250, and even lower once we get the 300 stud pockets incorporated. Will likely be one studable and a regular version.

Pugsley on RD rim: I doubt it, as if I recall correctly, the BFL, which is ''only'' a true 4.5 on 100mm rim barely fits. Snowshoe is specified as a true 4.7 on a hundred.

It should fit those frames where Lou is just a little too big. Like our MK2 bikes. That is why I sepcified Snowhoe at a true 4.7 instead of 4.8 and limited knob height to 6mm vs 7mm on Lou. Slightly more space so that more people can run monsters bigger than 4.5.

It will also be interesting to see the performance of their new Silica compound. Silica is used in auto winter tires (of the Nordic type) in order to keep them soft when the temps drop.

·
Bodhisattva
10,843 Posts
Pugsley on RD rim: I doubt it, as if I recall correctly, the BFL, which is ''only'' a true 4.5 on 100mm rim barely fits. Snowshoe is specified as a true 4.7 on a hundred.

It should fit those frames where Lou is just a little too big. Like our MK2 bikes. That is why I sepcified Snowhoe at a true 4.7 instead of 4.8 and limited knob height to 6mm vs 7mm on Lou. Slightly more space so that more people can run monsters bigger than 4.5.
I'm eagerly awaiting word on whether they will fit on alu Beargrease with RD

·
Registered
544 Posts
I'm thinking that one of these on the front and an On-One Floater on the rear would be a great pair for my Mukluk 2 in snow. The Larry/BFL combo that I have on there now is good, but I'd like some more traction for when the snow isn't packed.

1 - 20 of 263 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.