Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday on a whim, I bought my first SS. It is a 2004 VCW (Vail Cycle Works) Eagle frame. I am not finding any information on this builder or the frame, except for thier web-site.

I would appreciate any and all insight on my new purchase.

Thx

·
Registered
2,856 Posts
Yep...

I had one until about a month ago...only sold it cause I went to 29 inch wheels. My girlfriend has one too. They are built from Columbus Nivachrom with the MEGA down tube. Nice, light tubeset and the MEGA down tube gives it a nice sturdy BB feel to it. I'd say his quality is up there with other small builders, he just doesn't have the following that some others have. The only thing I'd be carefull of is the downtube is very thin-walled...I'd bet it can dent easily. My GF fell off of a short cement wall stunt that we have on a local trail and dented the DT of her's but it's not structural (IMHO). Geometry was spot-on for me in the 19" size...I really liked mine. Just liked the 29 inch wheels better. Ride it without a second thought!

EDIT: I just noticed you handle...I sold mine to a guy in New Jersey (If I remember correctly). You won't be the only one in the neighborhood.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks...

I'm psyched to give it a try. Got it cheap on e-bay and will only have to swap out the fork (going from 100-80mm) to make it ready to rock-n-roll.

As I get older, I seem to enjoy the simpler things in life. First, ditched my Blur for a hardtail (Yeti Ti) now a SS. What's next?

As the weather starts to get real shitty out here, it will be awesome not to worry about fouling the gears.

Bike should arrive next week and I'll post impressions of the bike and my first SS riding experiences.

-Chris

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's it !!!!

Based on description's it looks like a good deal ($500..I was only bidder). Frame new is $1100!!!!! Not thrilled with the Marzocchi Z3 fork, but other than that, I'm good to go.

Question: I have always had 175mm cranks. Am I going to notice a difference on these 180mm's? Not sure of the pro's/con's of lonfger cranks for SS

·
Registered
2,856 Posts
180mms

NJ YetiMan said:
Based on description's it looks like a good deal ($500..I was only bidder). Frame new is $1100!!!!! Not thrilled with the Marzocchi Z3 fork, but other than that, I'm good to go.

Question: I have always had 175mm cranks. Am I going to notice a difference on these 180mm's? Not sure of the pro's/con's of lonfger cranks for SS
I don't really have anything to offer about the 180s...I've always run 175 but that's all I've ever had around too. I run 175s on all of my bikes...even the fixie. I'm not very tall (5'10") but others on this board extoll the virtues of the longer crankarms. Since you'll already have them...I'd give them a try. If you don't like them...buy a classified ad here and I'd bet you'll get rid of them very quickly! Have fun with the new bike!

·
Registered
687 Posts
NJ YetiMan said:
I'm psyched to give it a try. Got it cheap on e-bay and will only have to swap out the fork (going from 100-80mm) to make it ready to rock-n-roll.

As I get older, I seem to enjoy the simpler things in life. First, ditched my Blur for a hardtail (Yeti Ti) now a SS. What's next?
As the weather starts to get real shitty out here, it will be awesome not to worry about fouling the gears.

Bike should arrive next week and I'll post impressions of the bike and my first SS riding experiences.

-Chris
29er SS was next for me...

·
Registered
225 Posts
I got one.......

Hey man ,
I'm the guy that bought the VCW from Nate, I second his opinion.
It is a sweet ride. Super plush in the bumps, wicked stiff when tearing up a hill.
nice and light.

I saw that auction and knew someone was getting a good deal on it. it looked like a pretty good setup.

Note sure where in Jersey you are but I had mine down at Blue Mountain in Peekskill NY a bunch of times. It kicked ass on that tight rocky technical stuff. But so far my perception is that these bikes are built to climb. You can feel it just wanting to pick up speed up a hill, until you run outta steam.

enjoy the new ride man.

Thanks again Nate!!

later
Jim

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I ride at Hartshorne Woods....

Have not been to the place you reference, but Hartshorne is single track, lots of roots and rocks.

We are there every Sunday morning at 7:00ish if you have any interest

Happy trails

·
Registered
9 Posts
Vail Cycle Works-SS

i know of a few people who have ridden their mtb and cross bikes, all have liked them a lot. no issues that i have heard- i live about 40 minutes from where they are built. a lot of local folks over there rode VCW bikes before everyone got on full suspension rigs. good builder.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Nater said:
that you're liking it Jim! It was a tough decision to give that one up!
Yeah man , Your bikes in good hands and enjoying the east coast.

Had a close call last Sunday. I flipped her and she landed pretty hard on some rocks.
I heard that 'DING , SCRAP' and thought I was gonna have some dents.

But, no dents or scratches at all, that was a good day!

later
Jim

·
Registered
127 Posts
SPAM: 17" for sale

spam: I have a 17" Vail frame and fork for sale. Old graphics that say "Vail" not "Eagle" but they are new, never built up. Not as good as deal as the ebay one, but cheaper than retail. I'll buy an ad as soon as I get pictures (next week or so). Selling so I can go 29er.

·
Registered
127 Posts
NJ YetiMan said:
On a new bike, there might be so much other stuff going on that you won't be able to determine if it's the cranks. Swapping cranks on the same bike, I did notice a difference: better leverage making for easier climbing, just like they say. Con is the possibility of more pedal strikes but I swapped on an EBB bike and raised the BB a bit at the same time.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.