Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· A Real Winner.
863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, we're going to start doing video reviews of bike products online. Check out our first video. . .Before you leave comments, keep this in mind:

#1-I know I look like a tool. No need to comment about that.
#2-We are still playing around with You Tube, and trying to figure out the best ways to upload video. The quality will improve over time.
#3-This is the first one, so no actual product reviews were done. I know.

Check it out! Hopefully, I'll get a new video up every week!

· govt kontrakt projkt mgr
6,138 Posts
actually that was pretty cool and I think ur gunna be successful with it; i'll tune in. now key to drum up business for your shop is to get a local tv media outlet to air say 2 minute quick snippets of your production. and maybe they could even help yuo with the actual production--for example synching the audio with the video.

nice first effort and once again I think you got a good idea going there.

· Registered
320 Posts
In principle I think it's a good idea.

But... I can see it easily turning into more of an advert than an actual review. The fact that you'll (presumably) be reviewing items which you sell in the shop doesn't inspire me with confidence that you'll give a balanced, unbiased review.

If you can keep them honest then I think its a great idea, but I can't really imagine you giving a crap review to something you sell!

Sorry if I sound negative, but that's what I think.

Good luck.

6,138 Posts
and that's...

..exactly what he should be doing. using this as a sales tool in his local market. Obviously he should stick to the products that do in fact do what they're supposed to do.

TJT said:
In principle I think it's a good idea.

But... I can see it easily turning into more of an advert than an actual review. The fact that you'll (presumably) be reviewing items which you sell in the shop doesn't inspire me with confidence that you'll give a balanced, unbiased review.

If you can keep them honest then I think its a great idea, but I can't really imagine you giving a crap review to something you sell!

Sorry if I sound negative, but that's what I think.

Good luck.

· A Real Winner.
863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
While it is a sales tool, I have written product reviews on other sites, and after testing products, I have stopped carrying certain products that suck. One of the big points of the reviews are that you will see the products in action. I would like to give the most fair reviews of products that I can. It's still in the early stages, so all I can say right now is. . .stay tuned! Re-evaluate it in a few weeks or months, then tell me what you think.

There are some products out there that consistently get good reviews, and some products that consistently get bashed. Hopefully by seeing some of the products in action, you will be able to to form you own opinion.

As an example. . .I personally LOVE Nokon cables. I always hear people bashing them on the boards, but I feel that not a lot of people have actually used them. This has become a heated topic on a few other message boards I frequent as well. You can count on a VBR of Nokons in the next few weeks, and hopefully it should clarify a lot of issues people have about them. After watching the review, you should be able to form you own opinion as to if you like them or not after seeing them in action, because (Lets be honest) you're not going to drop $80 on cables to *try* them for yourself.

In the end, it is up to you whether you buy a product or not. The point of VBR is to see bike products in action. I will not necessarily be reviewing only products I carry. I will try to review other popular products that people are talking about, or that seem like hot products in the industry. Sure, my overall goal is that people buy all their mountain bike stuff from me one day, but VBR is more of a fun project on the side. Lets face it, we all love mountain biking, and we all love to see mountain bike stuff. VBR is just my way of showing off mountain biking stuff!

· Registered
320 Posts
To me a "sales tool" is very different from a true review. There is no perfect product... even the best bikes/components all have disadvantages. Being upfront about the differences between products will allow you to point out a product's weaknesses in a more subtle way.

As I said before, keep them unbiased and honest, and I think you may be onto something. just don't make it sound like an advert, or you'll quickly lose your potential audience.

I will certainly stay tuned - post again when your first review is up.

· Registered
1,908 Posts
Tips:
Develop a better intro with music.
This might sound small, but a better font would also help.
Wear a mic.
Add sound dampening foam to some of the flat walls to reduce echo.
Chose clothing that contrasts with the mech apron.
Mount the camera on a tripod or solid surface.
Try to capture the best quality video before submitting it to YouTube.
Add a flood light behind the camera to highlight the speaker.
Remove the "OCC" style white/blue logo in the transistions. In fact, don't use the logo anymore. It is old and worn out idea. I have seen 4 or 5 local businesses using something very similar and it just is not good.

BTW, this is a GREAT idea and hope to see more in the future.

· A Real Winner.
863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Week 2 is up!

Check it out. . .

Also, this week, it was hard to get action shots because of the brutally cold weather here in Michigan, and the ice storm we had over the weekend. It's still a super-duper review though! Also, the "OCC" style logo is actually our store logo, and we have it all over our website, and all over our store.

This pic:

is "me." We have it available as a sticker for your car. Basically, you put it on your car, and when someone says, "What is that?" You tell them, "Me." If you want a sticker, e-mail me your address at [email protected], and I'll send you one in the mail!

Thank you all for the feedback though. I did add an intro with some music, and a few other things have changed as well. Yes, the video quality still needs to be worked on. I don't know what gives really though. The video quality is awesome before we upload it, then after it is uploaded, it seems like I lose some. If you are a You Tube master, please PM me some suggestions.

-Daniel

6,138 Posts
and..

and another good job it is. yeah 70$ might seem a lot---but really I dont know of any that's much more inexpensive unless you catch the bolle parole or vigilante on sale--and those aren't as stylin'.

sonyisdope said:
Week 2 is up!

Check it out. . .

Also, this week, it was hard to get action shots because of the brutally cold weather here in Michigan, and the ice storm we had over the weekend. It's still a super-duper review though! Also, the "OCC" style logo is actually our store logo, and we have it all over our website, and all over our store.

This pic:

is "me." We have it available as a sticker for your car. Basically, you put it on your car, and when someone says, "What is that?" You tell them, "Me." If you want a sticker, e-mail me your address at [email protected], and I'll send you one in the mail!

Thank you all for the feedback though. I did add an intro with some music, and a few other things have changed as well. Yes, the video quality still needs to be worked on. I don't know what gives really though. The video quality is awesome before we upload it, then after it is uploaded, it seems like I lose some. If you are a You Tube master, please PM me some suggestions.

-Daniel

· -> SickLines.com <-
3,192 Posts
The Rappala fish scale isn't very good IMO. It will register different weights if you tare and reweigh it just about every time.

The Ultimate digital hanging scale is a lot better.

Sync audio w/video.

The grease fittings are called zerk fittings.

Shooting live ... right :)

You rush through the specs of the bike.

You didn't say what the frame is used for, price, and you rush through the travel it has.

When you try and spell out cycletofitness.com , you should just put a link that pops up below you instead of trying to spell it out.

You can embed those youtube video's in this forum.

there's more i guess but enough for now

· A Real Winner.
863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
1_fez_rider said:
I like it! So do companies send you products to review?
Ha ha! I wish. Maybe one day, that is my ultimate goal. . . to make VBR a mainstream source for bike reviews. For now, I just buy stuff and try it out. Don't worry though, I waste tons of money on bike stuff, so there are plenty of products to review.

On another note. . .

Is there a product out there that you would like to see tested? Post it up here, and I'll do my best to review it. Certain things, such as ANYTHING downhill will probably not be tested, because there are no mountains in Michigan, but other products, I'll do my best to get my hands on them, and let you know what I think!

Post in this thread what you'd like to see VBR'd!

-Daniel

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.