Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I've been building my new Vaya today and had two problesm while installing the Avid BB5 on the fork (no problems on with the frame):

1. I can't barely screw the bolts. They're so tight i feel i'll brake the allen key...

2. The threads where the bolts screw are too close together, much more than on the Avid original adaptors, so i can't install the BB5 on the fork.

I assume Salsa would tell me to bend a bit that fork part as they did with some Fargo's forks, but i don't feel really happy with that solution.

Any advice?

Thanks in advance guys.
Coque.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Well, if I built a bike for a customer at the shop, no matter what the brand, and the bolts were too close together as you describe, I'd probably get the local importers to replace it....

The tightness issue may just be a bunch of paint inside the threads which you can sort out with a proper thread cutting tool and an air compressor.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Macbeth said:
Well, if I built a bike for a customer at the shop, no matter what the brand, and the bolts were too close together as you describe, I'd probably get the local importers to replace it....

The tightness issue may just be a bunch of paint inside the threads which you can sort out with a proper thread cutting tool and an air compressor.
Problem is i bought the frameset in USA and i'm now in Europe building my Vaya...

I guess the warranty wont cover that.

Coque.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Problem solved:

To solve the "tight bolts" issue i srcrewed a bolt in and out several times, cleaned the thread and it's much better now.

To solve the bolt alignement issue: i screwed an strong bolt on the lower thread and tried to change the alignement (by 1 or 2 mm, no more) but i think it failed. So i got a round file and worked on the calipers sanding a bit inside where the bolts are, a milimeter or two inside each hole and it fits perfectly.

Hope this helps to someone.

Coque.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.