Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Banned
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all just got my Jabbor walkly together and in just playing around out in front of the house the rear tire seems to be rubing on the non-drive side. It moves when I grab the rear brake (hard but not crazy hard).But even when just lining up the rear rim it looks as if it's close to hitting the frame on the( again) non-drive side. The tire is a Rampage 2.35. I must tell you other than that this bad boy is quite pimped..The bikes just begging to be played with.. Any thoughts on my problem? Is 2.35 too big for this frame.?BTW rims are Stan arches on I9 hubs..Thanks CF..

·
Registered
78 Posts
no, i run stan's arches with rampages on my jabberwocky and i get no tire rub. you may have the wheel in crooked on the dropouts or you have the wheel in too far. try using the tension bolts on the dropouts to even things out and maybe slide the wheel back a little.

·
You know, for kids
1,570 Posts
Does it rub constantly through the entire rotation of the wheel or just for a portion of rotation? Also, how far forward is the rear axle in the dropout?

I run a Rampage on the rear of my Jabberwocky with about 5 millimeters to spare on each side.

·
Banned
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
madcap said:
Does it rub constantly through the entire rotation of the wheel or just for a portion of rotation? Also, how far forward is the rear axle in the dropout?

I run a Rampage on the rear of my Jabberwocky with about 5 millimeters to spare on each side.
Well to be honest it's not rubbing at all at the monent but if I lean hard to the left while riding it seems to want to and or do rub a little.And like I said before when I grabbed the rear brake semi hard a couple of times it rubbed. BTW it was always just a portion of the rotation.My fear is during tomorrow's "Big ride" it will keep sliding (the wheel) into the frame and rub. CF...

·
local trails rider
12,300 Posts
Sounds like something is moving in the rear. I am no expert really but...
- the brake is not rubbing?
- do you have good, and even, spoke tension?
- anything loose in hub or axle?

·
awesome
817 Posts
Bolt on or QR? What tire pressure are you running?
On a side note, can't seem to keep the QR (XT) rear wheel from slipping on the Jabber myself. I sanded the track ends, got a surly tugg nut, it takes longer now, but the axle does move forward on the drive side. Maybe it's the saint cranks, they're so stiff they don't give nada. :bluefrown:

·
Misfit Psycles
2,772 Posts
is this a new wheel? as others have asked is the dish good/wheel true?

have you checked the axle nuts? a loose axle will allow enough play in the wheel to move side to side.

can you try another wheel to eliminate the wheel/frame from the equation?

·
Banned
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks,

perttime said:
Sounds like something is moving in the rear. I am no expert really but...
- the brake is not rubbing?
- do you have good, and even, spoke tension?
- anything loose in hub or axle?
Brake is not rubbing.
BRAND NEW wheel set I9's on Stan Arches.
Nothing loose in hub or axle.

·
Registered
158 Posts
same problem

I was running Racing Ralphs 2.4's and had the same problem. Chainstay bb flex for me. I weigh around 205 and everything was fine until I corner of hit anything off camber. I switched back to the Saguaro and all is well. I think the flex might be why the frame is so comfy too.

I love it.

Captain

·
Waiting for Godot
1,054 Posts
Flex might be the problem. I run RR 2.4 on my bandersnatch and I had to shave down the side knobs some because they would rub in the same place as yours under a very hard uphill, standing up cranking effort.

although the first 2.4 RR didn't do that. not all tires are created equal.

·
Banned
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks Captian Bob,

OilcanRacer said:
Flex might be the problem. I run RR 2.4 on my bandersnatch and I had to shave down the side knobs some because they would rub in the same place as yours under a very hard uphill, standing up cranking effort.

although the first 2.4 RR didn't do that. not all tires are created equal.
OilcanRacer,do you think I should change my tire? And if so to what? Thanks CF..

·
Registered
158 Posts
Saguaro

I run the Saguaro's front and rear now and it feels like a perfect match for all of my riding except for muddy stuff. Even then they aren't bad with the geometry traits of the Vassago. Wet muddy tree roots still pose a problem.

Good luck.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Oh man you're worrying me. Im just about done with my purchase build on my white Jabber and I have Rampages! Some have it working and some dont according to this thread. I have the same wheel build as well, Arch's w/ LX hubs and Rampages. Ill let you all know what happens tonite.

·
Registered
78 Posts
i don't know whats going on with the other folks that have rampages on a jabber, but mine has piles of room on either side...and I even have the gen 1 army green jabber which (i think) had narrower stays than the current one. I've gone through mud, cornered hard and never had tire rub once.

If your wheel is aligned in the dropouts, seated and dished right you got no problems. this is the closest pic i have to showing the clearance.

·
Banned
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hey dropspace

dropspace said:
i don't know whats going on with the other folks that have rampages on a jabber, but mine has piles of room on either side...and I even have the gen 1 army green jabber which (i think) had narrower stays than the current one. I've gone through mud, cornered hard and never had tire rub once.

If your wheel is aligned in the dropouts, seated and dished right you got no problems. this is the closest pic i have to showing the clearance.

That is a great looking ride,you MUST post up pictures of the whole thing.PLEASE.:) Anyway I rode the Vassago tonight(this thing is just so stable so smooth,and sooo much F-N fun) and am having no problems with the tire rubbing..I'll keep you all posted.Thanks again everyone for your attempts to help..DROPSPACE post it up brother.:thumbsup: CF...

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.