Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
more beers, lees gears.
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so I am running a 1x9 on my jabber (horizontal drop outs and the gear plug).

It slips all the time. Everytime I grab the rear brake (185mm juicy 7), the brake side slides back, causing the tire to rub the frame at the non drive side chain stay.

So far i have:
• switched to a salsa skewer
• sanded the paint off the frame at the contact point.
• tightened the skewer so tight I can barely close or open it without tools.

Still slips under hard braking.

Whats left? laying off the rear brake? I know QR is not the best on a horizontal drop out. but there has to be a solution. I fear any tighter on the QR will bind up the hub.

·
more beers, lees gears.
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
is it maybe possible to bolt in a paragon slider? i know the horizontal drops are open on my jaber, but maybe this could work. Any thoughts?

Of course I only need the bolt on piece, not the welded frame side pieces.

·
Registered
4,667 Posts
Matt, that would not work. It would change the wheel position, thus changing the geometry and the rear spacing would be less.

The problem is the torque from applying the rear brake. On One explains it well.
http://www.on-one-shop.co.uk/?page_id=669

Salsa skewers look good, but do not have enough clamping force. Switch to a closed cam design, such as the XT. The hold really well. I have had no problems on my Pugsley with an XT with the wheel all the way forward.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
canyonrat said:
Well, the Salsa skewer if it is like mine and exposed-cam it may not be the best thing according to Sheldon, try an XT or other enclosed-cam style, this explains a little:
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/skewers.html

If you can't fix it with an XT you could throw a Surly Tugnut on the disc side I suppose...but I doubt it would come to that.
I agree w/ what the other two guys said; Salsa QR's look good, but can't hold a candle to plain old shimano QR's when it comes to clamping force.

The Tugnut is also a good idea, but is a bit of a pain to deal w/ when you get a flat.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Are you using the tensioning screws? A tensioner screw on the non-drive side would fix your problem.

If nothing else... this may be a dumb idea but I looked at mine and nothing seems to be in the way... is there a way you could throw another gearplug on the opposite side (turned around backwards) and just push the axle as far forward in the dropout as it'll go? If that would work there'd be no way it could slip at all. I can't tell from the pictures of the gearplug if it'd work this way but it may work.

·
Registered
637 Posts
I've had the same problem on my Jab as a ss.....even bent the tensioning screws. Home Depot sells bolts that have the same thread (plus they have socket heads on them that make setting chain tension alot easier even by hand) - while you are there, pick up a small bag of the washers with the teeth on them (technical term there) and put one on each side of the drop outs. If you have any XT skewers use those too. You should have no problems now. It worked for me and I'm 190, 36X19 on rooty steep sprint like climbs and I've got a lil bit o' power (tooting own horn here).....

·
Beware the Blackbuck!
469 Posts
Enclosed cam skewers, according to Sheldon, or a bolt on rear hub.

Also, to everyone else, doesn't a tugnut pull the wheel backwards? So on the disc side, where that's what he's trying to avoid, wouldn't the tensioners/tug-nut style devices do nothing? I'm just trying to check my math here... I've never used a tug-nut.

·
Registered
389 Posts
had the same problem with a surly 1x1 that i had bout 3 years ago. never could keep the wheel from backing off under braking. tugnuts will not stop it. put yourself a bolt on axle on there and you might be able to fix it.

i fixed it by getting a couple frames that have paragons.

·
Stayin' Puft
1,241 Posts
ShadowsCast said:
Enclosed cam skewers, according to Sheldon, or a bolt on rear hub.

Also, to everyone else, doesn't a tugnut pull the wheel backwards? So on the disc side, where that's what he's trying to avoid, wouldn't the tensioners/tug-nut style devices do nothing? I'm just trying to check my math here... I've never used a tug-nut.
Doh! Yes, so, um, you have to super-glue the tugnut into the dropout for full effect...:rolleyes: :D

Sorry I did not consider the direction of the force so scratch that tug-nut part, you are right that is not going to help if the disc side slips towards the rear of the bike. Surly Tugnut is designed to prevent forward slippage. I have used a tugnut on the gear side on a Surly 1x1 with track ends, disc brakes, and XT skewers tho so the XT skewer part is valid based on my own experience. My brake side never slipped.

·
more beers, lees gears.
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
thanks guys. I have access to bikes (either my wifes or my 26er) with XT & Mavic skewers. I will give them a shot.

Yes, I am using the tension thumb screws. The problem is that its sliding out and back, not forward. This is the same reason the tugnut wont work either, i tried.

Do they make bolt on 9speed hubs? I like SS, and have a SS 26er. I just like the few gears for commuting and some trails with longer or steeper hills.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.